2004 - 2008 F-150

Installing PIAA 525's...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing PIAA 525's...

Is there a way to run the wiring to the headlights?...

Can I take out the use of a switch and run the high beam (PIAA) to high beam (Truck) and low/fog beam (PIAA) to low beam (truck)? This is assuming I put an inline fuse between the two...

Old 03-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, you can do it, but I'd think you'd need two separate relays - one for the driving beams and one for the fog beams. What you would need to do is run the trigger lead for each realy to the appropriate hot lead for the high beams and fogs. I have a set of Hella 550's in my grill (see my gallery) wired to trigger with my high beams.

Do NOT attempt to simply jumper in (even with an in-line fuse) to either of those hot leads to power your new lights. You'll fry your factory headlight switch pretty quickly.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:44 AM
I was thinking "In Line Fuse". I understand I would have to do it to EACH beam. What relays would you be talking about? I am not informed when it comes to this. I was going to attempt it and glad I didn't until I found out more.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Where are you going to mount them?
Do a search on here for aftermarket lights or fog lights or driving lights or look at Hella or PIAA's website for wiring instructions. You need to learn before you butcher your truck.

http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...stallation.jsp

A 12v relay switches the high power required for a large aftermarket accessory. It takes direct battery Positive in, and only switches ON when you apply a small 12v load to it to which in this case will be a 'T' tap into your high and low beam circuit. On my 04' F150 the passenger side headlight as 3 wires, black (ground) and then Green w/ a red stripe (I think) and green w/ black stripe. The Green w/ black stripe is the high beam. T Tap into that for your 12v trigger for your highs, tap into the other for the lows. A little more reading on relays and aftermarket light wiring will do a lot of good.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:30 AM
I like the idea of wiring the lights like this.
But is there a way to wire in a bypass switch so you have a option of leaving the lights off if you hit the high beams. Like if you want to flash some one to pass. you dont want to blind them with the off road lights

Old 03-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, you can simply add a switch in line on the trigger wire. When I pull my directional stalk back to use the "flash to pass" feature, I want to see eyes bleeding. I therefore have no switch and always get high beams and my driving beams. It's a personal preferance thing.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:49 PM
I posted this wiring diagram in another post but here it is again.

This is how I wired my lights. They only come on with the high beams and when the switch is turned on.

This diagram could be modified for the two relay application.

Quick Reply: Installing PIAA 525's...