2004 - 2008 F-150

BakFlip Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BakFlip Tonneau Cover

Looking for feedback on the BakFlip Tonneau Cover. What I like the most compared to the other hard folding type tonneau's is the extremely low profile.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...ip_tonneau.htm

I'm also looking real hard at the Advance folding tonneau:

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...vancecover.htm

and

http://www.kcovers.com/gallery-images/truck-cover2.jpg

Any comments from folks that have these installed are appreciated.

Thanks-

Old 02-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Check Moss Motors and look at the Trifecta cover. Folds in thirds and costs less than $300.00 Extang, I think

Old 02-14-2006, 03:55 PM
I like that the Bakflip doesn't cover the stake pockets. I use bedrails on mine and that's the only one you posted that mounts that way.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:38 PM
I've got the Fold-A-Cover hard tonneau on my SCrew. Very low profile and easy to install. Check out my gallery for a picks.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...foldacover.htm

Old 02-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by CruisinKen
Check Moss Motors and look at the Trifecta cover. Folds in thirds and costs less than $300.00 Extang, I think
Thanks for your reply-

I checked out the Trifecta cover, it's a soft cover and I'm looking to put a hard cover on, also looking for something as low profile as possible. (Without installing a retractable cover)

Old 02-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by worland
I've got the Fold-A-Cover hard tonneau on my SCrew. Very low profile and easy to install. Check out my gallery for a picks.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...foldacover.htm
That Fold-A-Cover looks good and it looks like it sits about an inch high (same as the Advance cover), from the pictures I've seen it looks like the Bak cover lays flush with the side rails. (More of the look I'm going for)

I'm hoping someone who actually has one of these on their truck responds and verifies this-

Thanks for your reply!

Old 04-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Just ordered a Bakflip 2 days ago. Soon as I get it in and installed, I'll report. I will say this, before I ordered I called and talked to one of the tech guys at Bak. Very impressed by the information given and helpfulness. If they cover has the same quality at the tech staff then it will awesome.

Trending Topics

Old 04-06-2006, 12:05 AM
keep me posted with build quality and plenty of pics. looks to be what i would get when it comes time. thanx

Old 04-06-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm waiting anxiously to see what you have to say too. I'm stuck now trying to decide between the BAKFlip and the Advanced Folding Cover.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Bak flip installed

I installed mine about two weeks ago. The quality is good, I was a little disappointed that the unit had some minor scatches as shipped directly from the manufacturer (but it didn't bother me enough to return the product). They also forgot to include the two track rails the cover sits on but when contacted were quick to fix the error, so I give them a thumbs up in customer service.

I had a factory bed liner that I had to remove and cut out a small section of it to make room for the tracks and drain tubes near top front corners of the truck bed, but I knew ahead of time some minor trimming was going to be necessary with the type of bed liner I have so no surprises there-

Three things I really like:
1.It has a very 'clean' look being extremely low profile
2.None of the space inside the bed is tied up like it would be with a 'roll-up' type (the canister the cover rolls into can really cut into your cargo area especially since I have a SuperCrew with a short bed
3. You can lock it up, but I have to admit it wouldn't take alot of effort to break into, just something to keep in mind.

Overall I can definately recommend it-

REB

Old 04-06-2006, 11:06 PM
REB - any pics? I'd like to see some close ups - none of the literature I've seen shows anything up close.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Just a heads up for anyone ordering a Bakflip, it takes about 5-7 days to ship right now because of the demand. They are shipping directly from Bak Ind. at this point because of it. I called at least 1/2 dozen places that were supposed to stock it but none had it. I ordered mine last Monday 4/3 and I got an email on Saturday stating that it had shipped. Should receive it on Thursday.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by rboschen3
snip
3. You can lock it up, but I have to admit it wouldn't take alot of effort to break into, just something to keep in mind.
snip
REB
What is it made of?

My Fold-a-Cover is aluminum skin over some kind of plastic/foam fill. You can break into it with a crow bar or a big screwdriver, but it would be a chore.

The tri fold that was mentioned is really a folding fabric cover.

This one looks interesting. I wouldn't want it, I use the front space more than the tailgate area on my truck, but I can see it would be a nice product if good quality.
Chris

Old 04-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Installed the Bakflip last night. It was as easy as advertised to install. Took me 30 minutes and 2 beers to do it by myself. I did have to use the included shims because when I tightened the rails down, they would start to bend upward. Installed the shims and they remained level. The cover is awesome and is for the most part completely level with the top of the truck. If anything is a 1/16 of inch above the rail. It has sturdy ABS plastic construction with rubber seals on the outside edges and front edges. It has a lip that goes over the top of the tailgate that seals water out there. Below are some pictures.

Old 04-14-2006, 12:21 PM
That looks great. Have checked it to see if it is water tight. Now i have a third choice. Leer, A.R.E and now The bakflip. I really like that low profile look. Do you think that it would be paintable if preped right?

Quick Reply: BakFlip Tonneau Cover