F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   Mark another one on the wall for a sparkplug broke off in a head (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/228479-mark-another-one-wall-sparkplug-broke-off-head.html)

bugburp 02-12-2006 03:01 PM

Kroil is the best penetrating oil I've seen. We use it a lot here at the plant. If you let it soak long enough, it will make its way all the way to the cylinder. Loosen the plug just a little and let them soak. Just a thought.

bugburp 02-12-2006 03:12 PM

Also, if you figure aluminum expands more than steel when hot, I would take the plugs out when the heads are hot. Maybe just a little more clearance if your lucky.

tardman91 02-12-2006 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
...Im going to let Ford do them when it comes time.

Me too! I'm not about to risk it. If they break it it's 1000x more likely they'll cover the repair than if I were to break it myself.

flanaganman 02-12-2006 04:12 PM

so whats the problem with the plug or the head ?

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=9331

JDaddy 02-12-2006 04:38 PM

FF sorry to hear the news. I planned to change the plugs out at 50k as I have 42k on it now. Hopefully there will be some solutions to this problem by then. It seems like the thing the best option out there now is to soak it for a couple of days and do the work while the heads are still warm. Either way knowing my luck I will end up busting one :rolleyes: .

chasman97 02-12-2006 08:00 PM

I was wondering, has anyone ever tried sucking up some Seafoam into the intake manifold through the vacuum hose for the brake booster before changing their plugs? I used it on a 97f150 I had a few times to decarbon things. I changed plugs at 97K miles and they looked as good as new. That pickup always ran like a top. I was just thinking that maybe this treatment would help clean up those ****ty/ rusty plugs a bit and make them a bit easier to get out. It sure never hurt my engine, I know that for a fact. I would also pour a little in the gas tank. I might try this when I get ready to change my plugs...

jpdadeo 02-12-2006 08:24 PM

I changed mine at 25,776K

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...691-140146.jpg

bad plug video but none of them broke off :thumbsup:

RMS05 02-12-2006 08:25 PM

What penetrating oil is the best? I see a couple of folks have mentioned Kroil. How about PB Blaster or Deep Creep. These two seem to work for me better than Kroil on my '73 Corvette and the '83 Shelby Charger.
BTW I am not going to change my '05's plugs until Ford gives out its response to the problem. Ford can be sloooow as per the cruise control issue on the '90's vehicles.
Roger

TTSaleen 02-12-2006 09:55 PM

The reason I purchased a new f150 was I just put $3000 into my old 2001 Crew w/4.6 due to a spark plug, I was that schmuck, sorry to hear that someone else is going through the same BS. Good Luck.

Luke

gmanjerseyfx4 02-13-2006 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Quintin
Yes, they're well aware of the problem. Yes, they're working on solutions. Yes, there's (supposedly) a tool in development to remove the broken insert without removing the head.

Thanks Quintin just playing Devils advocate here....figured we could talk about it here all we want, but until you guys are well aware of the problem it could not be solved...and on a side note, thanks for the fuel pressure gauge help a while back, ill hafta dig up that thread and show what i did...

Kool Aid 02-13-2006 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Quintin
In regards to people who don't want to mess with spark plugs 'till 100K, it's your truck, I don't especially care what you do. But your stupid ass comments to people who do decide to change their plugs early don't help this thread one bit.

Originally Posted by RockPick
I couldn't have put it better myself.

Either of you have any examples of these "Stupid Ass Comments" you are mentioning here?

:wave:

FuzzyOne 02-13-2006 06:26 AM

For us low mileage guys, wouldn't it make sense to pull the plugs and coat them with antiseize compound?

jpdadeo 02-13-2006 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by FuzzyOne
For us low mileage guys, wouldn't it make sense to pull the plugs and coat them with antiseize compound?

IMO it’s a good idea to get them out early just to take a look-see and reinstall with anti-seize. You might even have a couple of bad plugs that need replacing. I had three plugs that were spinning within themselves so I ended up replacing all eight to be safe.

silverbullet5.4 02-13-2006 07:42 AM

What are the chances that penetrating oil will get past the threads and into the siezing area?? I just cant see it getting past the threads and seal, lets not forget, this seal/threads holds engine compression(air...around 200psi worth), so the chance of liquid getting through is very slim. Im just approaching this from a logical standpoint. Now if this penetrating oil goes places even air cant penetrate, than damn, Ive just never seen it.

Quintin 02-13-2006 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kool Aid
Either of you have any examples of these "Stupid Ass Comments" you are mentioning here?

:wave:

I think anything pertaining to a subject other than replacing spark plugs fits in well for that. The title of this thread was "Mark another one on the wall for a sparkplug broke off in a head." Not:

Originally Posted by Kool Aid
I will make you a 100% absolute guarantee........ If you don't mess with the plugs, they won't break....... and no one will make fun of you.

If you insist on pulling the plugs before the recommended interval, and you break one.......I'll roll on the floor laughing like a little school boy.

I guarantee it.

Simple, isn't it.

Yes, that's true, but it don't in any shape or form pertain to the subject of this thread, now does it? That doesn't help the starter of this thread one bit, does it? You aren't the only one:

Originally Posted by BigTRQ
So what about those people who live in an area that disallows "routine maintenance" to be performed, i.e. an apartment complex, such as I live in? So I guess I'm an idiot for taking my truck in for oil changes and tire rotations because I have no other option? Nice generalization, dumbass.

P.S.-I pity the person who gets your truck after you turn it in. Since you don't care about the plugs, a rather important component, what else do you not care about?

Y'alls little spat amongst other posts started to shove this thread (and that other huge spark plug thread) off course. This ain't about whether or not to mess with your spark plugs at 10K miles or 100K miles. We know there's a problem, and I was hoping that as a community of truck owners, from people who've changed their plugs with no problems and people who've had problems, we can find temporary solutions for those of us who are worried about spark plugs breaking off in the head at any mileage when serviced, for those who plan on keeping their trucks for a while and don't want to run into any nasty surprises when they decide to change their own plugs at higher miles.

Let's make this a thread full of good information, not silly flame wars because your opinion doesn't align with that of another member, or vice versa.