2004 - 2008 F-150

Anyone with Automatic Hub Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with Automatic Hub Issues?

I don't know but I have my auto hubs trying to engage periodically. If you heard the sound you would know exactly thats what it is. I tried to take it to the dealership before warranty was out but it didn't replicate the sound the 2 times they had the rig. Has anyone had anyproblems with their hubs in their truck. It makes a disc on disc noise until you stop then it clanks like a gear engaging. Now, this may be a coincidence but this only started happening after I had a full 30K service from the dealership. The front diff oil seams fine. I was just curious if there were any thoughts on this. This started before I got the Edge. And it is so intermitent, plus it stops making the noise the first time you stop. So if I were to trouble shoot I would have to have someone drive the vehicle and have me climb underneath while its rolling. I'm a big buy this may have to wait till I get my lift on!

Old 02-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IWEs

Yea, same problem here. It happens when its cold out, right? The IWEs are full of water and freezing when they get cold. Even with a little water in them, they freeze and won't allow the spline to completly disengage. This is the grinding sound. I know others have had problems with the solenoid for the 4x4, so this might also be your problem. I replaced the solenoid on my truck and had the same problem after the install of the new part. I pulled the IWEs out, fliped them over (lines are on the top), and drained the water out. Mine were almost full. Since then, I have't had that issue any more. Seems odd that the amount of water built up would be just from condensation alone. But, it did the trick.

Quick Reply: Anyone with Automatic Hub Issues?