2004 - 2008 F-150

Those who have installed an amp themselves

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those who have installed an amp themselves

Hey guys... I'm looking to install an Alpine amp in my truck. I think I generally understand how the wiring goes, with the exception of the remote turn-on wire... If I understand it correctly, then there are actually 2 power wires that go to the amp? One directly from the battery, and another from a source that is only hot when the ignition is on? Is that correct?? What voltage is required for the remote turn-on? 12v?

Also, where is the best place to tap into an "accessory" power source for the remote turn-on?? I'm confused, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx...

Old 02-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are going to use a factory head unit then look in the fuse box for a switched 12v supply. If you are using a nd after market headunit then it will more than likely have a amp wire that will supply the switched power to turn the amp on. Make sure that you get a switched power wire or you will drain your battery. The radio itself has a switched power fuse If I remember correctly.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:56 PM
If you cant find a switched power you can run a power wire to a switch then have 2 wires coming off the switch, one to the power and one to the remote on.

Thats kind of rigged though. You would be best to run a wire from the battery then a switched on from the fuse box. With a test light you can poke around in the fuse box and keep switching the ignition off an on to find the one you need.

It can be the same voltage as the power wire too. The remote on only draws a few volts.

I have an aftermarket unit so its the BLUE wire.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by bamorris2
Hey guys... I'm looking to install an Alpine amp in my truck. I think I generally understand how the wiring goes, with the exception of the remote turn-on wire... If I understand it correctly, then there are actually 2 power wires that go to the amp? One directly from the battery, and another from a source that is only hot when the ignition is on? Is that correct?? What voltage is required for the remote turn-on? 12v?

Also, where is the best place to tap into an "accessory" power source for the remote turn-on?? I'm confused, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx...
remote turn on is not a real power source for your amp. It lets the amp know to turn on when the remote turn on wire is hot. Aftermarket HU's usually have a blue remote turn on lead on it harness. It sends a signal to the amp to turn on when the radio is turned on. If you are using your stock HU and don't mind tapping into wires just connect it to your red ignition wire

Old 02-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Ok, another question for you guys... Where do I find a power cord for the amp? I know that Circ City & BB sell amp install kits that include RCA's, but the amp I'm looking at has speaker level inputs, so no RCA's are requried... So where can I get just a red power wire??????

Old 02-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Just get a spool of 6 or 8 gauge (8 is probablly fine) red wire and a fuse block from the hardware store. You will also need a ground so get a couple feet of 4 or 6 gauge black. No need to get the competition stuff. Best buy charges an arm and a leg for their install "kit". Unless you have a bunch of amps you really dont need to go overboard.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Make sure your ground is short as possible and to a clean metal surface.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by FX4ME2
Make sure your ground is short as possible and to a clean metal surface.
Are you talking about 1', or under 6', or what?

Old 02-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by bamorris2
Are you talking about 1', or under 6', or what?
As short as possible. I wouldn go over a foot. If you get noise at a foot that may be too long.

I mounted mine under my rear bench and ran the ground to the bolt that holds the jack down. Mine is about 5 inches.

Edit:

Old 02-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by rutherk1
Mine is about 5 inches.
You poor soul

But thanks for the advise.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:00 PM
there is a 12 volt power source on the back of your factory radio that stays on when you shut the truck off, but shuts off when you open your door, use that for your 12 volt remote then your amp will stay on when your radio is on, if not you will lose the amp when you shut off your truck.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by wedgewood 4 x 4
there is a 12 volt power source on the back of your factory radio that stays on when you shut the truck off, but shuts off when you open your door, use that for your 12 volt remote then your amp will stay on when your radio is on, if not you will lose the amp when you shut off your truck.
Excellent!!! That's what I was looking for. But the big question is, Which wire is it????????????? Anyone know what color it is?

Old 02-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by rutherk1
Just get a spool of 6 or 8 gauge (8 is probablly fine) red wire and a fuse block from the hardware store. You will also need a ground so get a couple feet of 4 or 6 gauge black. No need to get the competition stuff. Best buy charges an arm and a leg for their install "kit". Unless you have a bunch of amps you really dont need to go overboard.

Be sure to use the same guage for the ground and power wire!

Old 02-09-2006, 05:30 AM
Send me your e-mail address and I will mail you a wiring diagram for the radio in PDF format.

jmpancoast@juno.com

Old 02-09-2006, 09:43 AM
For the remote wire, i just used a male connector and plugged it into a empty relay socket in the fuse box. I also put an inline fuse on that wire also. Just use a test light and find the one pin that turns on/off with the key.

Quick Reply: Those who have installed an amp themselves