2004 - 2008 F-150

30,000 mile transmission service

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30,000 mile transmission service

Has anyone had this service done? Is it really necessary? I am wondering because I rolled over 30k this weekend.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by countyboy04
Has anyone had this service done? Is it really necessary? I am wondering because I rolled over 30k this weekend.
Whether it is necessary or not will be a matter of opinion. The book will tell you to do it but plenty of people will argue with that. Personally I think it depends on how you drive your truck.

Do you tow often or otherwise drive in a manner that would put a lot of stress on your transmission? How long do you plan on keeping the truck?

BTW, My driving isn't particularly harsh on the truck and I will probably get a new truck before this one sees 40,000 miles but I will still get mine flushed at the recommended interval. I actually enjoy knowing my truck is in perfect condition and that the next owner is getting a good vehicle.

Last edited by Aaron_j; 01-04-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:08 AM
I had mine flushed because I do quite a bit of heavy towing. If you don't use your truck for towing heavy loads, I would not worry about it until 60K miles.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Aaron_j

Do you tow often or otherwise drive in a manner that would put a lot of stress on your transmission? How long do you plan on keeping the truck?
I hardly ever tow anything and I am usually very easy on the truck.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:15 AM
I did the simple "filter & fluid in pan" change at roughly 20k miles.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by countyboy04
I intend to do mine. I usually keep my trucks a long time. I expect this truck to go 200,000 miles. Any less and I probably won't buy another Ford. My last one went 176,000 and I bought this one because I could see repairs over the next year. I'm not usually hard on my M/Vs but, in thI intend to do mine. I usually keep my trucks a long time. I expect this truck t go 200,000 miles. Any less than 150K because of issues and I probably won't buy another Ford. My last one went 176,000 and I bought this one because I could see repairs over the next year. It was flawless over the 176K.. just a Battery, tires, gas, and normal service.

I'm not usually hard on my M/Vs but, in the long run I believe that keeping the all oil and filter refreshed will extend the trouble free operation. If I have a problem I won't regret not keeping the service intervals.

If you have the tow package you will have an tranny cooler so it is not so critical that you change on the interval time unless you tow or do lots of stop and go in hot weather. No doubt that heat will kill the oil.

I believe that if Ford thought that they could get away without recommending changing the oil and filter they would do it.

BTW, my wife had a GM car a few years ago and I was paranoid about the tranny. I did the tranny oil on time (30K) for 4 intervals and when I traded the car no one would believe I had the original tranny. Average tranny life for a that car was 65K...e long run I believe that keeping the all oil and filter refreshed will extend the trouble free operation. If I have a problem I won't regret not keeping the service intervals.

If you have the tow package you will have an tranny cooler so it is not so critical that you change on the interval time unless you tow or do lots of stop and go in hot weather. No doubt that heat will kill the oil.

I believe that if Ford thought that they could get away without recommending changing the oil and filter they would do it.

BTW, my wife had a GM car a few years ago and I was parinoid about the tranny. I did the tranny oil on time (30K) for 4 intervals and when I traded the car no one would believe I had the original tranny. Average tranny life for a that car was 65K...

Of course YMMV...

Jack

Old 01-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by asinatra
I did the simple "filter & fluid in pan" change at roughly 20k miles.
Any interesting tricks, problems etc.? Or is it just the usual tranny fluid down the armpits job.
Retail on the filter/gasket?
Is the gasket just a screen or is there any filtering?

What fluid did you use?
Did you put a drain plug in for the future? I usually do that the first change.
Chris

Trending Topics

Old 01-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Will your tranny drop if you skip the 30K service? No, but all ya gotta do is look in the pre 97 and tranny fourms to see the previous two generation trucks with the E4OD, 4R100, and 4R70w startin to act funny. Missin shifts, overheatin, burnin clutches/bands ect. If you plan on keepin your truck for awhile, why skip out on the most expensive part to rebuild.

Not to bad to do a full flush of the pan, torque converter, lines and cooler using this procedure

http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/199...ance-AutoT.htm

It's for a 4R100, but can be done the same exact way.

The 4R70w needs Mercon V, but I'm not sure about the 4R75e so use what the manual says.

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
Any interesting tricks, problems etc.? Or is it just the usual tranny fluid down the armpits job.
Retail on the filter/gasket?
Is the gasket just a screen or is there any filtering?

What fluid did you use?
Did you put a drain plug in for the future? I usually do that the first change.
Chris
Just the normal job. Gasket is reusable. If you find a yellow "plug" just throw it out you dont need it. The filter was like 20bucks i think.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say go ahaed and do it my last truck I didn't do it until it 89k and the trany was acting up at 96k forcing me to trade it in for my new truck. Of course I drive it hard with jack rabbit starts and late to brake, I don't know if that help contribute to the trany problem. I had in my old truck at 96k but I will do this one at 30k and every 30k interval after that to see if this trany in my new truck will surpass 96k miles.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:28 PM
I need to do a whole bunch of stuff to mine. I'm sure when i install the blower ill do everything at once.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
countryboy04

I see your sporting the MS State logo. I went to school at State and grew up in Starkville. My Dad is a Mech. Eng. professor. Good to see another Bulldog on the board.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by weadjust
countryboy04

I see your sporting the MS State logo. I went to school at State and grew up in Starkville. My Dad is a Mech. Eng. professor. Good to see another Bulldog on the board.
Isn't that a small world. I graduated from state with a degree in mechanical engineering.

Quick Reply: 30,000 mile transmission service