2004 - 2008 F-150

Question for those with toolboxes . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those with toolboxes . . .

. . just got a Low Profile UWS Powder Coated Toolbox for my '04 SCrew Lariat. Been wanting one for awhile and finally got one for Christmas. Anyway, I've had a truck for 9 years but never had a toolbox and I've got some questions.

1. What'd you put in the bottom to keep things from sliding? I've got a piece of carpet I'm thinking of putting in there, figure it'll absorb any grease or water that gets in the box and also keep things from moving around so much.

2. Are these things completely water proof? Won't leak in a driving rain?

3. If water proof can you leave tools and other metal objects in it for a long period of time without having to worry about rusting, etc? Do you put any silica packs or such in there to help absorb any moisture?

4. It's locked and bolted to the bedrails so theft won't be easy but do these things have a tendency to get up and walk off?

Appreciate the help.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:22 PM
1. They sell tool box liners that you can cut to size. I found a yoga mat in a sports store on clearance, 24x72, and thick, works great and comes in pretty colors too.
2. Depends on what quality box it is, I have a gold series DeeZee and no leaks, I heard UWS is a good quality box. My brother bought a bottem line delta and he had to add extra weather stripping.
3. Not sure if the rust on my tools are from being in the toolbox.
4. Mine is secured with a J bolts on each side, I also used a thin strip of rubber weather stripping so if the bolts did loosen, my toolbox wouldnt slide around. I never heard of one getting stolen or broken into.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Owned three Delta boxes with no leaking. Adjust the lid lock mechanism to get a tight fit. No rust on tools or any other problems. I line the bottom with carboard from the box the tool box came in (cheap).

I have some plastic storage tubs that I got at Big Lots to keep all my stuff organized. Using the tubs also keeps the black stuff from the aluminum tool box from getting on the rain coat and other stuff stored in there.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:00 AM
Any chances of some pictures of your tool boxes.Am interested in seeing them.Thanks.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:34 AM
I have seen toolboxes walk off, but I would say that if you have a good box, it is probably just as safe as in your truck--if the thief wants it, he will get it.

What's funny is when you find your empty toolbox gone--well, not completely funny, but you get the picture .

Old 12-29-2005, 03:55 AM
I have a UWS that I pulled out of my last truck. It is doing fine so for after four years.

I wouldn't use carpet to soak up any water that may get in, if it leaks seal it. Holding the water in will only make it worst in the long run.

The tools in my box stay in the truck and I have not had any issues with the better brands that I have in it. The cheaper brands have some rusting issues.

Locks are to keep honest people honest.

This is just my 2 cents, I use drive thru car washes on a regular basis and never seen water in my box in the four years I have had it! Hope this helped!

Old 12-29-2005, 09:29 AM
Appreciate the advice . .

. . .going to head to Lowes and get some small storage cases to put some stuff in as well as some decent "non rusting" basic tools to keep in a plastic tool box.

If the price isn't prohibitive I may get Line-X sprayed on the interior, should help keep the infamous "gray dust" down.

Trending Topics

Old 12-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Any chances of some pictures of your tool boxes.Am interested in seeing them.Thanks.

I have more in my gallery

Old 12-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I love my UWS toolbox. It's the second one I've owned and it never leaks. To keep it organized I just "borrowed" a few milk crates from behind Wal-Mart. They fit perfect and work like a charm.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:53 PM
I have the same box as you and it has never leaked so you should be okay. I also take mine through car washes. I keep turnout gear and tools in there and they stay dry. I put the foam liner in the bottom of mine. I'm pretty sure I found the liner at Lowes and it was a direct fit.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by tardman91
I love my UWS toolbox. It's the second one I've owned and it never leaks. To keep it organized I just "borrowed" a few milk crates from behind Wal-Mart. They fit perfect and work like a charm.

Wow.. I like.

1. How much?
2. Where can I find it?
3. Would it work with a fiberglass tonneau? (Leer700)

Old 12-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
Those in bed boxes @ autozone were $230? +tax.

I don't see how you could open the box unless your cover opens WAY up, or lifts straight up.
Good point.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by SSpiro
Wow.. I like.

1. How much?
2. Where can I find it?
3. Would it work with a fiberglass tonneau? (Leer700)
1. $310
2. Any UWS authorized retailer
3. If your tonneau goes WAY up

Old 12-29-2005, 11:44 PM
Suspended
I love UWS boxes, I've been throwing around the idea but can't ever decide.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:48 PM

I LOVE mine!

Quick Reply: Question for those with toolboxes . . .