2004 - 2008 F-150

what oil filters are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what oil filters are you using?

I'm going to stop being lazy and start changing my own oil again. I use Mobil 1 oil and I was thinking of going with K&N's oil filter mainly because they have a one way valve that does not let the oil drain back to the pan.
What do ya think?

Old 12-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Motorcraft FL-820S. The only filter to use on these engines, IMO.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:28 PM
The Mobil one filter is better. It is also made by Champion, like the K&N, but just a tad better. Not that there is a thing in the world wrong with the K&N. There is one on my truck right now...

The anti-drainback valve is essential in Ford modular engines, or they rattle like a castanet on cold start.

The Motorcraft filters 400s and 820s depending also have the good valve. They cost one third to one fourth of the Mobil or K&N and are pretty good filters. Purelator has the contract this year, I believe.

There are sure to be other good choices, but that nut on the top makes me want to stick with top of the line Champions (Mobil and K&N). That hose is tooclose on my 4.6 to put almost any wrench or cap tool on.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Quintin: Motorcraft FL-820S. The only filter to use on these engines, IMO.
Same here.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Dual set- AMSOIL SDF16 with a by-pass BE-90 and 9 qts of Amsoil 0w-30

Old 12-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Motorcraft FL-820S. The only filter to use on these engines, IMO.
Quntin, does it have the anti-drain back valve? Why is it the best to use?

Thanks.

Last edited by jimmy k; 12-21-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
The Mobil one filter is better. It is also made by Champion, like the K&N, but just a tad better. Not that there is a thing in the world wrong with the K&N. There is one on my truck right now...

The anti-drainback valve is essential in Ford modular engines, or they rattle like a castanet on cold start.

The Motorcraft filters 400s and 820s depending also have the good valve. They cost one third to one fourth of the Mobil or K&N and are pretty good filters. Purelator has the contract this year, I believe.

There are sure to be other good choices, but that nut on the top makes me want to stick with top of the line Champions (Mobil and K&N). That hose is tooclose on my 4.6 to put almost any wrench or cap tool on.

Thanks for the info Chris. I know what ya mean with the cold weather rattle. My '03 E350(5.4l) w/ 36,000mi sounds like it's tapping some serious valves until it warms up. I'll have to put an anti-drain filter and see if that helps. Since I've been to lazy, it has whatever they put on at the quick lube.
Nice signature pic BTW. Looks like it belongs on a brochure or something.

Last edited by jimmy k; 12-21-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmy k
Quntin, does it have the anti-drain back valve? Why is it the best to use?

Thanks.
Yes. In my personal experience, I've seen a few cases of valvetrain clatter on cold start up when using other aftermarket filters (mostly Fram) and/or the incorrect viscosity oil on modular V8s. This seems to be double so for the 3V engines, since oils thicker than what's recommended combined with a filter that doesn't have an anti-drain back valve can cause both start up noise and may in the long run cause problems with the VCT system.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just changed my oil today and put the $11.99 K&N Oil Filter in, I am using Royal Purple 5w-30, very good synthetic oil and very popular. I do not really notice much of a difference, as my truck changes it's shifting patterns every few hours so it's hard to tell.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:02 AM
I'd take it to the dealer or somewhere cause that oil filter is a sumbish to get to.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:28 AM
These oil/filter/weight discussions just crack me up. People always think that the "grass is greener" with a different lube part. The fact is that Motorcraft 5W-20 with the requisite filter is what is suggested, warranteed, and cheaper than all the other aftermarket components. If you abuse the hell out of your truck with driving habits or performing no maintainance, then the expensive "surface of the sun and liquid nitrogen tested" space-age oil may actually help you. But most, if not all, of us are normal drivers that take care of our investment, so fancy filters and "way above standard" oils just waste money. Ford will never question a warranty claim if we just stuck to the recommended products.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:18 AM
Originally Posted by KSpencer
These oil/filter/weight discussions just crack me up. People always think that the "grass is greener" with a different lube part. The fact is that Motorcraft 5W-20 with the requisite filter is what is suggested, warranteed, and cheaper than all the other aftermarket components. If you abuse the hell out of your truck with driving habits or performing no maintainance, then the expensive "surface of the sun and liquid nitrogen tested" space-age oil may actually help you. But most, if not all, of us are normal drivers that take care of our investment, so fancy filters and "way above standard" oils just waste money. Ford will never question a warranty claim if we just stuck to the recommended products.

It's not about nedlessly spending extra money. I mean really, what is a few extra dollars on a $35,000 truck. If synthetic oil is proven to do a better job thats what I'll use.Ford may not question a warranty claim while your IN warranty, but what are they going to do for you when your out of warranty? I plan on keeping my truck a long time...I kept my last F150 for 10yrs. so I want to take care of it the best I can.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The professor
I'd take it to the dealer or somewhere cause that oil filter is a sumbish to get to.
I have enough room to throw a party with the giant fan shroud out, along with the original fan blade out of the picture. It's great having all that room, but mud gets everywhere now, I need to custom fabricate a liner to go over the crossmember directly below that big gap (those with efans know what I'm talking about) to improve the e-fans longevity.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams

I have never heard my engine rattle on a cold start with my FL 820-S.... and surely not like a castanet. That's saucy!!

Old 12-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
My dealer puts on the Motorcraft filter, uses the Motorcraft 5-20 oil and rotates my tires for $43. I have no rattle, do not use any oil, and my tires are showing little wear. The oil change would be just $28 by itself. I can't mess with it myself for that price.

Quick Reply: what oil filters are you using?