2004 - 2008 F-150

Best Microphone Location?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Microphone Location?

I leased a 2006 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCab last week, now I have to transfer my Motorola IHF1000 bluetooth kit out of my Ranger and into the F150. I already ordered the handsfree prep harness, now I just need to know where's the best place to mount the microphone? I have a moonroof so the overhead console is not an option. I was thinking of trying to get the microphone to stick to the front of the headliner between the windshield and the maplights, but I don't know if it would hold up.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:14 AM
where's all the opinions?

Old 12-20-2005, 09:36 AM
You might be able to mount it on the A pillar. How big is it anyway? It sort of hinders ideas. If we knew how big we could make more suggestions.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:35 AM
What about rigging it up in the overhead rail system? There is usually a hole cut in the headliner under the supplier factory bin...there is even a 12 V power source up in that hole.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Run the wire up the A pillar trim and then "mount" it using the mounting tab between the headliner and the plastic trim piece with the mic tip pointed at you. It will work great right there...as long as the window is up.

Old 12-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Here is a picture of the microphone, it's about an inch long. As you can see it is kind of awkward to mount it because of its shape. It will not sit flat on the a pillar.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Sorry about earlier...my speed reading isn't quite up to par...I agree with RamSS/T's suggestion...or maybe take it up further and run it up to where the visor latch is.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by EtniesRIT
Here is a picture of the microphone, it's about an inch long. As you can see it is kind of awkward to mount it because of its shape. It will not sit flat on the a pillar.

OK...I was thinking it was a "lipstick" shaped mic. Does it have double sided tape to attach it with? If so I would run it up along the A Pillar and mount it in the corner of the windshield...like we use to do tweeters back it the day. OR another possible mounting point I would try would be in the center of the windshield at the top right behind the rear view mirror. Both places should not be visable from the outside.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Try putting some velcro on the back of it. This may allow it to stick to the headliner if you run the cable up the A pillar.

Old 12-20-2005, 03:58 PM
mic placement...

Ok, sorry I don't have pics up just yet (I'm still in the process of getting my gallery set up; I take forever). However, I put mine on the front rail box with the wire running from the right "hole" from the driver's visor. The wire goes from the box, which I mounted under my dash, along the left side up to the pillar, tucked into the pillar, up into the ceiling area, through the "hole" and across to the box. Sounds really complicated and I don't know if I used the right words, but I will try to get pics up for you later this afternoon when I can get my hands on a d-cam. And yes, BTW, velcro works wonders on the mics. I'll be back with some pics...

Old 12-21-2005, 01:05 AM
I just installed the IHF1000 in my truck over the weekend using the handsfree Ford adapter so it comes through the factory speakers. I mounted the mic on the drivers visor, closer to the right side. The generic instructions clearly say not to do this as it supposedly is more prone to vibration, but the visor in the F150 seems very solid to me. I have used it alot in the last few days, most people when I tell them I am on handsfree couldn't tell. The reason I mounted it there is so the mic can be repositioned by moving the visor if needed. Check my sig for the install photos, unfortunately I didn't take one of the mic position though.
P.S. I ran the wire up the a-pillar and across the top side of the visor tucking the cable in behind the vanity mirror.

Last edited by nvrenuff; 12-21-2005 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:42 AM
why not just mount it right on your dash up by the windshield in front of that box above the radio? center it and it'd look fine...

Old 12-22-2005, 04:23 AM
I have the microphone for my IHF1000 on the dash to the left of the radio and about Northeast of the LH Center A/C vent, assuming that the top of the vent is North. It doesn't sound too bad as long as the A/C is on Max, but then I can also close that vent when the A/C is on Max if I have to.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:40 PM
I mounted mine on the headliner edge between the windshield and the mic clipped on to the liner right behind the sunvisor. It works great.

Quick Reply: Best Microphone Location?