2004 - 2008 F-150

fatherford, hellbound, or anybody

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fatherford, hellbound, or anybody

i have seen something on here about the lightest rims to get for our trucks and i cant find it in search. I know one of the two in the topic has them on their truck . I want to get a set of them to run in the winter time with some nittos because im thinking about getting a supercharger and want to run some times without my 22" rims and tires weighing me down. Any help would be appreciative. :santa:

Old 12-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by bluehosefb90
i have seen something on here about the lightest rims to get for our trucks and i cant find it in search. I know one of the two in the topic has them on their truck . I want to get a set of them to run in the winter time with some nittos because im thinking about getting a supercharger and want to run some times without my 22" rims and tires weighing me down. Any help would be appreciative. :santa:
In my honest opinion, I wouldnt worry soo much about the weight of your rims. Instead what I recommend you do,(which is what I'm currently doing) is get a s/c, change the pulleys to up the boos to about 8 - 10 psi. Custom tune your truck then get some slicks. In about two months or less, Im going to be running about 9psi with custom tune which will put me at about 400rwhp... Then Im going to get the slicks to put that power to the ground and race a SRT10.. Im pretty confident that i could beat a srt10 quad cab, but the reg cab is gonna be a little different

Old 12-13-2005, 05:43 PM
well im not really worried about street racing all the time, i was wanting to get something to change my tires and rims out in the winter since i dont feel like keeping them polished all the time. Plus i cant ride around on slicks all the time. I was basically wanting to get a cheap second set of tires that will be light in case i do decide to race, gotta cut weight wherever possible. :santa:

Old 12-13-2005, 05:45 PM
The lightest stock F150 rim?

I would say it is the Painted cast aluminium XLT Wheels 17"
I upped to the 18" Lariat wheels because they looked better, but they're certainly heavier.. prolly 10lbs per wheel heavier.

I have a set of 17" XLT cast aluminum wheels in the garage.. been trying to sell them for a while now. Tires are pretty much worthless, but I got those too.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:26 PM
the 18" Lariat wheels are light. My 17" steel wheel chrome rims were MUCH heavier than the aluminum Lariat wheels I have on now.

Old tires/wheels were 75.5 lbs a piece with the 17" chromes

New wheels/tires are 58 lbs a piece with 18" aluminum wheels.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:37 PM
I keep trying to remember to weigh the wheels (XLT cast aluminium), just cane ever remember... Same wheels in this pic...

<classified ad removed>

Last edited by Rockpick; 12-21-2005 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ford Man Dan
In my honest opinion, I wouldnt worry soo much about the weight of your rims. Instead what I recommend you do,(which is what I'm currently doing) is get a s/c, change the pulleys to up the boos to about 8 - 10 psi. Custom tune your truck then get some slicks. In about two months or less, Im going to be running about 9psi with custom tune which will put me at about 400rwhp... Then Im going to get the slicks to put that power to the ground and race a SRT10.. Im pretty confident that i could beat a srt10 quad cab, but the reg cab is gonna be a little different
I would worry EVERYTHING about the rim weight. Technically every 10lbs of rotational mass is equal to .1 second in the quarter mile. So if hell lost 20lbs per orner than that would be roughly .4 seconds, (remember the engine is only turning the rears not the front)

That is 40 extra pounds the engine itself doesnt have to move to get moving. And if you get a smaller tire you make your overall gear ratio numerically higher, which means you will have a faster acceleration

Trending Topics

Old 12-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by asinatra
I would worry EVERYTHING about the rim weight. Technically every 10lbs of rotational mass is equal to .1 second in the quarter mile. So if hell lost 20lbs per orner than that would be roughly .4 seconds, (remember the engine is only turning the rears not the front)

That is 40 extra pounds the engine itself doesnt have to move to get moving. And if you get a smaller tire you make your overall gear ratio numerically higher, which means you will have a faster acceleration
Power from the engine is also indirectly turning the front. Cutting 20# from the front is 95% as good as cutting 20# from the rear.

Grim
Engineer, Businessman, Superspy

Old 12-14-2005, 12:18 AM
I know when I was rolling some 26" tires my truck was "stupid fast" compared to rolling my stock wheels/tires.

Quick Reply: fatherford, hellbound, or anybody