2004 - 2008 F-150

05 FX4 with tire issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 FX4 with tire issues

When I got my truck in June I asked the Dealer about recalls on the General Ameritrac TR before I drove my truck off the lot. They said there wasn't a recall but it took 2 sets of tires before one FINALLY balanced. I'm getting vibrations after 10K miles and just got a letter from Ford telling me that my tires are covered until 36K rather than the usual 12K. Anyone have any info on this letter?

Is anyone else having issues with vibrations with these tires?

Old 12-12-2005, 02:46 PM
We have the same tires on my wifes XLT 4x4 S/C .. and its been in twice to have tires balanced, once Road Force Balanced. Its in today to have the two rear tires replaced.

Hopefully its fixed for good TODAY, because I know she's tired of dealing with it.

I'll will never buy another car/truck with General Tires.

Old 12-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Got the same letter, had the dealership replace all 4 tires due to vibration..not that it fixed it, but they still replaced them for free @ about 30K miles.

BREW

Old 12-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Well, I really hope we don't have those same issues BrewDude. I just got a call from my wife who picked her truck up. She said it was "perfect" now. So, hopefully it stays that way.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:34 PM
After a rotaion my General's are causing steering vibration at different speeds. But I am going to a BFG in a larger size soon anyways.

Last edited by MoJoe; 12-12-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MoJoe
After a rotaion my General's are causing steering vibration at different speeds. But I am going to a larger size soon anyways.
Honestly, the Generals will never make you completely happy, they are just a poor quality tire. Your best bet would be to go with some better quality tires or just bite the bullet until it comes time to replace them. I personally went ahead and replaced mine.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Why is Ford STILL using these tires?

I still feel a slight vibration in my wifes truck -- seems to be in the wheel ever so slightly. No doubt its better then it was before, but its still "rough" -- I really don't want to replace tires on a truck that only has 1000 miles on it, but if that'll fix it for good. Its seemed to have moved from a definte rear issue to front. I think the front tires need to be replaced as well (they only replaced the rears).

I told her to take it back tomorrow and have them fix it again. She says she thinks its okay. Maybe I'm just paranoid now, I really don't know.

Last edited by JeffreyDJ; 12-12-2005 at 09:34 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Check This Out!!!

I' not very computer savy but here goes.
Results : 1 | All records displayed
Make : FORD Model : F-150 Year : 2005
Manufacturer : CONTINENTAL TIRE NORTH AMERICA, INC.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05T022000 Mfg's Report Date : NOV 21, 2005
Component: TIRES:TREAD/BELT
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 34396
Summary:
CERTAIN CONTINENTAL CONTITRAC TR OWL, CONTITRAC TR BSW, GENERAL GRABBER TR BSW, AND CONTITRAC BSW TIRES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN MAY 29 AND JUNE 11, 2005, AND SOLD AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT ON CERTAIN FORD TRUCKS AND SOLD AS REPLACEMENT TIRES. THESE TIRES CAN WEAR PREMATURELY WHICH FAILS TO CONFORM TO FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 119, NEW PNEUMATIC TIRES FOR VEHICLES OTHER THAN PASSENGER CARS.
Consequence:
AFFECTED TIRES MAY NOT MEET THE ENDURANCE TEST REQUIREMENTS OF THE STANDARD. CONTINUED USE OF THE AFFECTED TIRES CAN RESULT IN TIRE FAILURE WHICH COULD LEAD TO VEHICLE DAMAGE OR MOTOR VEHICLE CRASH.
Remedy:
CONTINENTAL WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE TIRES FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON DECEMBER 21, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CONTINENTAL AT 704-588-5895.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS CAN CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236; (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Well at least I can Copy and Paste.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but here's an update:

Now, my wife isn't so sure that perhaps there is an issue. And she has called them back. She is going to take it back in. She doesn't want me to get involved, but I'm thinking I may have to soon.

She is now armed with the info regarding the Recall now as well. At this point, I'd be willing to pay the difference between the Generals and Nittos or BFG's just to get rid of this problem.

Very annoying on a Brand New Truck. and its obvious its a fairly large issue, so I'm not sure why Ford isn't dealing with it more directly.

Old 12-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but here's an update:

Now, my wife isn't so sure that perhaps there is an issue. And she has called them back. She is going to take it back in. She doesn't want me to get involved, but I'm thinking I may have to soon.

She is now armed with the info regarding the Recall now as well. At this point, I'd be willing to pay the difference between the Generals and Nittos or BFG's just to get rid of this problem.

Very annoying on a Brand New Truck. and its obvious its a fairly large issue, so I'm not sure why Ford isn't dealing with it more directly.
Look how long did it take for the Ford/Firestone problem to come to light.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:13 PM
I guess so, but tomorrow morning the truck is going in for the fifth time since we bought it right before Thanksgiving. Its a great truck except for the vibration.

They've already tried the "Its normal" routine.

Its getting old, fast.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Ford will continue to cut corners on tires to lower the initial sales price, thats how they sell trucks. Look at the brands, hankook, general, continentals, etc. They all suck. I dont know about you, but tires have a lot riding on them and to me, not something to scrimp on. It was worth replacing the tires for me.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
Ford will continue to cut corners on tires to lower the initial sales price, thats how they sell trucks. Look at the brands, hankook, general, continentals, etc. They all suck. I dont know about you, but tires have a lot riding on them and to me, not something to scrimp on. It was worth replacing the tires for me.
I agree with you 100%. I am just glad the wife is ok with me getting larger tires. If I was not "allowed" to buy new tires, I would be raising a lot of crap with my dealer and Ford. Not that it would do any good, but I would feel better I just can't wait for Ford to fix a problem this annoying. Hopefully others have good luck with it.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Alright, so maybe the Michigan Highways aren't to blame for this.

I'm getting a slight vibration, but only detectable at speeds over and around 70 mph, and I too have General Ameritrac TRs. And again other than that this truck is as smooth as most cars I've driven. I guess I'll call Ford customer service before I go into the dealer, and work a few contacts within the company (like it will do me any good)....all this and I have 500 miles on the friggin thing.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by WolvLion
Alright, so maybe the Michigan Highways aren't to blame for this.

I'm getting a slight vibration, but only detectable at speeds over and around 70 mph, and I too have General Ameritrac TRs. And again other than that this truck is as smooth as most cars I've driven. I guess I'll call Ford customer service before I go into the dealer, and work a few contacts within the company (like it will do me any good)....all this and I have 500 miles on the friggin thing.
Call ford I had the same problem at 700 miles and they rebalence them and now they are fine. I only have 2300 miles now but plan on getting new rims and tires in the next year so not really concerned.

Quick Reply: 05 FX4 with tire issues