2004 - 2008 F-150

removing delership emblem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing delership emblem

What is the best way to remove emblems from your truck? The dealership has a lettering emblem on my tailgate that is ugly and I would like to remove it. Thanks for any help.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by wjk310
What is the best way to remove emblems from your truck? The dealership has a lettering emblem on my tailgate that is ugly and I would like to remove it. Thanks for any help.
Is it just a sticker or a plaque style? For a sticker I just used a hair dryer to heat it and peel it right off and wax the area. The other style has many ways to remove it. I like using fishing line or dental floss to cut behind the emblem and then use a remover that is safe on paint. Some times you can use your thumb to push off the double sided tape. In the body section of the forum there may be some more pointers. Good luck

Old 12-10-2005, 12:29 AM
The hairdryer trick worked for me, warm the decal up then pealed right off.
couple of my friends also used the dental floss to remove the emblem type
it was one of my first mods, why should I advertise for the dealership

Old 12-10-2005, 01:12 AM
Hair dryer to get the mass of it off, then goo gone to remove sticky residue left behind.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:22 AM
Sounds like that will do it.

Old 12-10-2005, 02:24 AM
Originally Posted by TX-FX-4
Sounds like that will do it.
Go back and tell them to take it off for you at no charge. I've always ordered my vehicles with "no stickers, paint, badges, not even a license plate frame with the dealers name on it"... never been a problem. I just tell them that I will get them business with word of mouth 5 times as much as someone reading some ugly sticker on my truck.

I always have to cringe when I see a BMW or G35 with some huge dealer emblem or paint on the back. Who in their right mind would buy a 40k car with a billboard on the back. They would have to pay me rent for advertising space!

J

Old 12-10-2005, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by jdpharmd
Go back and tell them to take it off for you at no charge. I've always ordered my vehicles with "no stickers, paint, badges, not even a license plate frame with the dealers name on it"... never been a problem. I just tell them that I will get them business with word of mouth 5 times as much as someone reading some ugly sticker on my truck.

I always have to cringe when I see a BMW or G35 with some huge dealer emblem or paint on the back. Who in their right mind would buy a 40k car with a billboard on the back. They would have to pay me rent for advertising space!

J
Damn right.

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2005, 03:51 AM
If it's a decal, warm it up with a hair dryer, then peel gently. Wax should take care of any left over glue. Be careful if it's an old decal, paint may have discolored some.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:41 AM
WD-40 also works great for removing left over glue and does not harm the paint and most people have it lying around.

Old 12-10-2005, 06:35 AM
remember way back when the dealerships used pop rivets, yikes.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by jdpharmd

J
My thought exactly. I refused to take delivery of my truck this time becuase I asked for no stickers, and it was there... along with the license plate thing..

they took them off no problem.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:22 AM
I told my dealer that I didn't want that crap on my truck, and the day I went to pick it up it had nothing on it. I inspected the truck, then walked inside to sign the rest of the paperwork and they said "We'll wash it for you while you are signing papers". After the deal went down, I hopped in the truck and drove home. As soon as I got home, I noticed the crappy front license plate and bracket they had installed as well as the rear license plate frame. I grabbed a screwdriver, and about 2 minutes later my 75lb Chocolate labrador had a few more chew toys to play with in the yard!

Old 12-10-2005, 09:54 AM
I took my dealership's sticker off 30 min after I picked up my truck. I don't free advertise!!

Old 12-10-2005, 02:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueScab
remember way back when the dealerships used pop rivets, yikes.
I can't imagine buying a new vehicle and driving off the lot without telling the dealer to yank off the badges. So, prevention is the easiest way -- at the time of purchase just tell them to remove the crap. If you forget, then the instructions here are sufficient.

My dad just bought a 2005 F-150 at Phil Long in Colorado Springs. They screw a chromed plastic Phil Long badge on the tailgate. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Just floors me that someone would do that to a new vehicle.

I washed and waxed it for him and then took off the badge. Just doesn't work, as there are two holes in the tailgate. I had to put it back on until he finds another solution.

Old 12-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by 67L48
I can't imagine buying a new vehicle and driving off the lot without telling the dealer to yank off the badges. So, prevention is the easiest way -- at the time of purchase just tell them to remove the crap. If you forget, then the instructions here are sufficient.

My dad just bought a 2005 F-150 at Phil Long in Colorado Springs. They screw a chromed plastic Phil Long badge on the tailgate. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Just floors me that someone would do that to a new vehicle.

I washed and waxed it for him and then took off the badge. Just doesn't work, as there are two holes in the tailgate. I had to put it back on until he finds another solution.
I would have to say the solution is to go back to the dealer a tell them to swap tailgates and locks. How dare they damage the truck with two holes
that will rust in no time. I put it in my PO no rear stickers or no deal. :santa:

Quick Reply: removing delership emblem