2004 - 2008 F-150

headlights go out when turn sig turned on

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope someone can provide some guidance on this- I'm out of warranty and don't really want to pay the stealership service dept any more money... would rather fix it myself or take it to my friendly mechanic.

Driving home tonight down the Interstate, I hit my left turn signal to change lanes, and my headlights went out! Dash lights worked, turn signals worked, but the headlights would go out for anywhere from one second to 20 seconds when I hit the LEFT surn signal. Right turn signal causes no problem. Likewise, it only happens on Low beams. Makes no difference if the automatic lights are on, or if the headlight switch is turned to actual, honest to goodness "on". Running lights don't go out, just headlights.
It seems to be an intermittent problem, doesn't do it every time. It also doesn't cause anything else to go out or dim- just the low beam headlights.

Anybody else had this happen? 2004 F150 Scab, 2wd, 5.4, 5.5' bed, XLT package. 44,000 miles.
Thanks!
C1

Old 12-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C1 Looking at my 04 Shop wiring book the low beams run through the multifunction switch, (the turn singal hi beam wiper control). It might be defective and is breaking the circuit when you move the stock down. Normally it would only break the low beams to turn on the high beams. There is a common ground point for the left side head lights and turn lights under the hood on the drives side just in front of the auxiallary relay box. That about half way back to the cab. I'd check the ground point for a tight connection then go on to the switch. My bet it's the switch. Good luck

Quick Reply: headlights go out when turn sig turned on