2004 - 2008 F-150

Scangauge users....got a question for ya

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scangauge users....got a question for ya

Ok....those of you that use the Scangauge and have more automotive knowledge then I....

There is a "gauge" available that monitors the "Engine Load".....when it is displayed on the Scangauge it monitors the "load" on the engine in % (according to my manual)...

....what "load" is the gauge monitoring and how is it calculating the %?

....no matter what gear I am in or what RPM range I am in or if I am towing....If my foot is even touching the accelerator the gauge will read something along the lines of 79-85%.....but when I take my foot off the accelerator, it will be around 22% (44% towing)....I cannot figure out what this gauge is actually monitoring and how it would go about calculating a % of engine availablity....

...any ideas?

Old 12-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't have a Scangauge, but I know that load is kind of a goofy parameter, because it can be based off of so many things. Vehicle speed in relation to throttle position, airflow across the mass air sensor, BARO readings, what gear the trans is in, whether the torque converter is locked or not, engine temperature, etc.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
I don't have a Scangauge, but I know that load is kind of a goofy parameter, because it can be based off of so many things. Vehicle speed in relation to throttle position, airflow across the mass air sensor, BARO readings, what gear the trans is in, whether the torque converter is locked or not, engine temperature, etc.

That is what I was figuring....it is kinda hard to sum up "engine load" into a single % reading.....Guess I will have to find something else to monitor (I wish the scangauge would monitor transmission temp)........

Thanks Quintin

Old 12-01-2005, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the scangauge easy to come by, I believe I will need it to install my e-fan's and I haven't seen them for under a few hundred bucks, I'm looking to rent one for the day when needed. Thats an interesting reading, I'd prefer to go by the vacuum gauge as someone mentioned before, as it is supposed to show true fuel consumption/power output.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:48 PM
If you weren't 300 mile away you could borrow one of mine.
You can get that temp info from your cluster if you follow the directions posted in this forum.

As to Vacuum gauge Vs. Scangauge, the Vacuum gauge has a LOT of value, but the ScanGauge is more accurate if mileage is what you care about.

The LOD reading is actually pretty good. You can compare the LOD to the fuel consumption and see that it is really quite accurate.

I've used both separately and together and the ScanGauge is better for mileage on these trucks.
The Vacuum gauge is good for diagnosis in ways the ScanGauge isn't. It would show you a leaking plug (sorry 5.4 guys) or a weak coil very easily.
Each has their uses.
Chris

Old 12-01-2005, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats some helpful information Chris, and I appreciate the 300 mile comment but it does me no good. Do you know whether local part shops (Autozone, etc) lend these tools out. Kragens in Concord does not, I'll try the one close to my house.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
Thats some helpful information Chris, and I appreciate the 300 mile comment but it does me no good. Do you know whether local part shops (Autozone, etc) lend these tools out. Kragens in Concord does not, I'll try the one close to my house.
If you have a multimeter handy i can get you a volts to temp reference for the CHT/VHT sensor.

Quick Reply: Scangauge users....got a question for ya