2004 - 2008 F-150

Instrument cluster lamp color change

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument cluster lamp color change

Is it possible to change the green lighting for the gauges to another color (thinking bright blue) by a simple bulb change? I don't want to change the faces, just the backlight color. If so, how hard is this to do?

Old 11-24-2005, 08:03 PM
That would be cool if you could. I would match my stereo to the dash colors.

Old 11-24-2005, 08:54 PM
This has been driving me absolutely nuts but it's too cold to pull it out and snoop around. I'm not sure how Ford does it, but other maunfacturers use little colored plastic wraps on clear bulbs or a sheet of plastic on the back the cluster. It may be as simple as pulling the gauge cluster and changing the little bulb condoms or the plastic sheet. Not sure how good it'll look with all the other green lights. I'm also not a big fan of the red needles, been thinking of a way to change those as well. Maybe I just need the FX gauge cluster.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:26 PM
hmm...

i hadn't thought about how it would look with the green lights in the radio controls, door switches, etc. probably not too great...

Now somebody needs to make the bright blue LED switches and lights. That would look hot.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by red_candle
Now somebody needs to make the bright blue LED switches and lights. That would look hot.
I would have to go with the look of our orange lightning in the bimmer, but in the end if i want to have orange lighting ill just drive that.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:10 PM
What scorpio said. I am pretty sure the gauge face markers are tinted with a green film as the bulbs themselves are clear white. I wish changing the bulbs were that simple as I would have had the Acura blue lights like my 04 TL had. Those were breathtaking.

Old 12-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Anyone taken apart their gauge cluster to see what's behind there? I'm getting to the point where I may be able to live with blue gauges and the green everywhere else. I really want the gauges the same color as the high beam indicator.

Old 12-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Try going to a big truck stop, they usually have a good supply of colored bulbs. I have also seen the colored buld "condoms" there. I did this to my old 91 ranger and it worked well!

Old 12-03-2005, 07:19 PM
My gauge cluster is defective and it has a crack in it where i can see the light behind it. (I'm waiting for more problems before i take it in to get fixed). It is definitely a white bulb and the gauges are tinted green.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by deerfeedrb
My gauge cluster is defective and it has a crack in it where i can see the light behind it. (I'm waiting for more problems before i take it in to get fixed). It is definitely a white bulb and the gauges are tinted green.
Can you tell if the green can be replaced? I'm guessing it's just a layer of green plastic than sits between the bulb housing and the back of the gauge cluster. My concern is that it could be glued in there or not removable. If thats the case I'll need to find yellow bulbs or condoms.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Here is a picture of mine. I don't see why you couldn't take original off and place something like tissue paper over the back of it. My only concern would be heating that up and causing a fire. Removal of the cluster was simple and should be able to be changed easily. I have to pull it apart tomorrow to readjust one of my guages and I'll post pics while I'm in the process.

I altered the dash so that the "FX4" symbol (normally white) would match the seats.

Last edited by YellowFX4SCrew; 12-03-2005 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster lamp color change