2004 - 2008 F-150

I cant help but feel a little inferior...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy I cant help but feel a little inferior...

I just drove a coworkers Hemi Dodge Ram Crew cab 4wd 20in rims and this thing really made my 5.4v "300hp" feel like a slug. Especially off the line, the Dodge spun the larger 275 width tires where as mine wont even spin the trashy 235 width hangooks. Not to mention the engine just sounded a helluva lot nicer even stock. Ive got magnaflow catback so my exhaust sounds nice, but the engine just ticks like a diesel. I just got home for the first time in 3 weeks to drive mine and got in it pretty good both in interstate and city, even with the reflash, K&N, and magnaflow it just seems alot slower than it should for "300 horses". Is a tuner/chip my only choice to increase throttle response. I know many on here like the XCal2 and Ive heard the 1714 brought up alot, I just cant seem to justify spending $500 on power that should be there from the factory. Am I up against a wall?

Last edited by silverbullet5.4; 11-04-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its that 45 more horse power. I test drove a lot and I mean a lot of truck's before I purchased my F150. The Hemi was great, but the interior lacked. I drove a Sierra Denali for 3 years, so it was time for a change. That's why I didn't go back to GM.
Of all the trucks I test drove. Nissan, GMC, Toyota, Ford and the Dodge.
The Ram by far spanked them all.
Not sure if it's a weight thing or computer thing.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Yeah feel the same silver bullet. My truck won't spin its tires for anything. Even when its raining! I have only put flowmasters on mine, but plan on doing some major mods, cause those 300 horses just don't feel that strong. The torque is good for pulling my ski boat though.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Suspended
Dude, if you can't spin them when its raining there is something wrong. My truck would spin my 32" BFG Rugged Trails with no problems in the rain.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Really? It will sometimes, but it won't keep them spinning for long. Its a strong truck though and really don't care about other trucks cause most of them don't compare to the styling on the 150's

Old 11-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Suspended
Yup but just think about it this way. It'll save you tires.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:16 PM
If you want performance from a Ford, buy a freakin' Mustang GT. Enough with the negative posts on the best damn truck ever built.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Sorry, I wasnt negative just telling the truth, sorry if that offends.

My post simply sought to ask whether I could muster any more performance out of the truck competitive to the Hemi and still keep my warranty and be NA. I was also sharing my experience and thoughts/dissappointments. I want a truck which is why I bought a truck, now I dont see it as unreasonable to demand good performance out of a truck. I have an 11sec car sitting in the driveway, so its not that I want the truck to use it as a racecar, its simply a matter of getting all those little 300 horses out of the engine, through the computer and to the pavement. Im asking opinions on how to do that short of buying a Dodge lol. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2005, 12:04 AM
If you have an 11 sec. car then you should know that any vehicle will get faster with mods (money). If money is no object then just slap a supercharger on the F150 and have more than enough HP to pass a Dodge. I realize you said you wanted to keep your warranty and be N/A and my understanding is that the warranty will still be good as long as a certified mechanic does the install. Superchargers are becoming common in obtaining more HP from the factory, so what's wrong with going with a forced induction if it's a safe tune. Look at the 03/04 Cobra.

BTW, It didn't offend me cuz I know my truck isn't the fastest thing on the road nor am I looking for it to be. I sold my Mustang to get a truck and wouldn't trade mine for anything on the road. As far as making a 4x4 fast....to each his own. I've seen video of a guy with a blue 2004 reg. cab Chevrolet Z71 running a 10.81 in the 1/4 mile. I believe the guys last name is Parrish or something like that. His truck was all over the net a year ago. This just proves that money can make anything fast.

Last edited by robisten8; 11-05-2005 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Hum...We can take a ride in my 150 and spin the 20s all day. We will even smoke a few hemi rams if you are up to it.

Old 11-05-2005, 12:32 AM
Well what Im asking guys is do you think the Xcal2(or 1714, bama, etc) will give me better response off the line and increase the HP/trq under the curve. Im not looking for peak HP gains because that wont help me much, Im just looking for more power throughout the power band. Would $500 spent on the Troyer Xcal2 be a worthwhile investment. I want an honest opinion.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Get rid of those pitiful 3.55 gears and put in 4.56's. I've always used 4.10's in the past cause the 73 and 87 460's did not like high revs but this 97 hits 5000 no problem and those 4.56 gears jump me to the front of the pack every time.

Old 11-05-2005, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
Well what Im asking guys is do you think the Xcal2(or 1714, bama, etc) will give me better response off the line and increase the HP/trq under the curve. Im not looking for peak HP gains because that wont help me much, Im just looking for more power throughout the power band. Would $500 spent on the Troyer Xcal2 be a worthwhile investment. I want an honest opinion.
YES...YES..YES. When I first bought my truck I was very dissapointed... bought the xcal 1 and WOW. Blows me away at how conservative this truck is tuned from the factory. Get an Xcal from Troyer or if you don't want to spend that much there are many used 1714's and bamas, etc out there for great prices.

I also agree with fasterhorses (to a point....4.56's maybe a bit high for your current tire/wheel setup)... gears would do you wonders. Your trucks not that much heavier than mine and I'm in the mid 14's with only 4 mods. My truck is actually smoother and gets the same (maybe slightly better) gas mileage than when it was stock. So far I've spent about $750 on all my mods together.

I fought with the same thing you are.... I shouldn't have to spend $xxx to make my truck keep up with brand X. Well.... we do.... so mod it, deal with it, or buy brand x. I know you'll make a wise choice.

Old 11-05-2005, 02:10 AM
And for your added enjoyment.....

last weekend I raced a brand new Hemi, reg cab 2wd w/ a 3.92 limited slip. After I beat him by almost a full second we met back in line and started to talk. He looked at me and with all sincerity said "I'm really a Ford man but bought this Hemi cause I hear they were so fast... now I wish would have bought the Ford" ..... I just smiled (poor guy). Everyone always thinks the grass is greener on the other side

Old 11-05-2005, 03:25 AM
i just bout my pickup from my boss so i was in it everyday till i bought it from him and it was the slowest thing in the world my 99 would hand it a new one easily, well ever since my new one hit about 36000 miles it is a screamer i dont have a tuner or the reflash its a supercrew 4x4 lariat and i think its as fast as my 99 2wd 5.4 was now. in the last month its turned in to a different animal on its own and it still gets 17 mpg where my 99 got 11mpg so i couldnt be happier i think the only thing im missin with out the reflash is the downshifting but as long as it runs good and gets me to where i need to go thats all i care about, now if i could find some one to help me pay for it i would be in heaven (300 a month isnt bad but its kinda hard when ur school schedule sucks) sorry if i got off subject

Quick Reply: I cant help but feel a little inferior...