2004 - 2008 F-150

Steering Wheel Nibble/Shudder Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoushF150
Where can you go and get tires shaved? I'm going to try this as the 20's are darned near impossible to balance.

I used to true tires way back in the old days (between mammoth hunts, of course) and you may have a problem finding anyone nowadays. You need either an adaptor for the rim you are using, harder than you might guess with so many rims, or to remount the tire. Also, unknown to many using the machine, the tires MUST be fully warmed. Great fun watching a new guy cut twenty percent of the tread off, because the tire was out of round from sitting. Had a pile of rubber you could stuff a pillow with...

If done right, it is amazing how smooth the tire rolls after truing.
I've seen gas mileage increases, and huge improvement in ride. Customers were thrilled.
But then as Radial took over the market, truing pretty much died. The 'must be warm thing' was a real problem in this day when the car/truck might have to sit for three hours before the tech gets to it.
Still, if you get the right guy, can make a real difference
Hope you can find a place local to you.
Chris

Old 09-26-2005, 11:32 PM
Got my truck back today with four new indexed and road force balanced tires and the "steering wheel nibble" is gone. I hope it stays gone.

Pre tire replacement road force balance:

Left front 22lb
right front 21lb

Left rear 17lb
right rear 19lb

New tires road force balanced and reindexed to rims:

Left front 10lb
right front 6lb

left rear 14lb
right rear 14lb

According to my paper work it appears under 15lb's is what they shoot for.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:33 PM
I had the same vibration/nibble/wobble problem and had it fixed under warranty at my local dealer. Zero issues, no questions asked, they did roadforce balance on all four wheels, turned out the RF was off, readjusted the tire on the wheel, done. Very pleased.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:21 AM
I went through about everything with mine. The only thing that fixed it was when Ford gave me an 05.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by rdblan2
I went through about everything with mine. The only thing that fixed it was when Ford gave me an 05.

I'm in the same boat as you......except I ordered an 06 instead

Old 09-29-2005, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am very worried I will fall into this category as so many have. Is it really that difficult to live with? Is it very rough, someone should get a video of the camera attached to the dash. I hope it's manageable because I may get an F150 with no warranty ('04).

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Nibble/Shudder Fixed