2004 - 2008 F-150

$45 Advance Auto ceramic pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$45 Advance Auto ceramic pads

Last week i decided to take the cheapest route and get the Friction Master (haha) CMX1011 ceramic pads from Advance. I figured if they werent any good then i would just have to swap back to the factory pads or spend more money on some good ones. Well, i got my 05 crewcab lariat 4wd with 150 miles on it, and the wheels were nasty. I cleaned it up myself and drove it a week (another 150 miles for a total of 300) and the wheels were pretty nasty again. I put the new pads on last saturday, and this week i have driven almost 200 miles and the wheels dont even leave anything on your finger when you touch them. They look very clean and the brakes feel good and are quiet so far.

On a side note, the 1011 must be some universal aftermarket designation for 04up pads. The different ones advance sells all have 1011 in the part #, and the other brands i have seen do also.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Hmmm...interesting...getting sick of dust.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:48 PM
Did you just replace the front?

Is it better to replace all of them at the same time or is doing only the front or rear ok?

Does anyone else know of the quality of these advance auto pads? How long they are supposed to last, etc...

There is one right by my house and I like the sound of the price... I just hope the rule "buy cheap, buy twice" doesn't apply here. I imagine they are made by a reputable company and packaged for Advanced...

Old 08-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by kidtriton
On a side note, the 1011 must be some universal aftermarket designation for 04up pads. The different ones advance sells all have 1011 in the part #, and the other brands i have seen do also.
could be, the Porterfields front pad part number is "AP 1011".

Old 08-26-2005, 03:08 PM
MHP
I put the poreterfields on 400 miles ago and just now starting see a hint of dust on my wheels. Stock I couldnt go 50 miles without dust.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:49 PM
ive got the morse ceramic from autozone and no problems yet, hardly any dust, and much better performance too, something i didnt expect

Old 08-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the friction masters and they are great compared to the stock. I go about a week and only see a hint of dust. Great performance too. I recommend

Old 08-26-2005, 10:07 PM
got mine from advance autoparts about 3 weeks ago.
they stop better than factory and the dust problem is gone.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:45 AM
I have been considering putting ceramic on my wheels as well...this dust is killing me (cleaning wise)...how hard is it to install these yourself...I feel that I am pretty competent under the hood of most vehicles, but I have never replaced pads myself...any sugesstions/tips?

Old 08-27-2005, 12:10 PM
me Too...

Originally Posted by wstahlm80
I have been considering putting ceramic on my wheels as well...this dust is killing me (cleaning wise)...how hard is it to install these yourself...I feel that I am pretty competent under the hood of most vehicles, but I have never replaced pads myself...any sugesstions/tips?

Yeah I am wondering the same thing...

Old 08-27-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by wstahlm80
same here, I'm sure I could do it, I've just never tried

Old 08-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Thank goodness its not just my truck,I swiped my finger on the front wheels 20 miles after washing the nasty things and got dust-I will be visiting the parts store for a set.And to the guys that have never changed them-if you can get a wheel off then you can do front brakes-very easy.Should take about 15 minutes a side.

Old 08-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Brakes are a joke to change. Search for a brake change. All you really need is a C clamp and some sockets and basic tire change stuff. Take the wheel off. Look on the inside of the wheel well and you will see two bolts holding the caliper on. Take these two bolts off and take the caliper off. You might have to hit the caliper with a rubber mallet or just pry with a screwdriver. The caliper comes off by pushing it (or hitting) towards the rear. After the caliper is off take the two pads off. One pad you can see looking at the rotor and the other is on the inside. Pop those out and then put one of the pads on the two piston like things on the caliper and compress it with the C clamp. After this just pop the new pads in, put the caliper back on (line it up correctly; and may have to hit with mallet again) and put the wheel back on. MAKE SURE TO TIGHTEN LUG NUTS. Be easy on the brakes for the first couple of days/maybe a week.

Old 08-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by chrisrud15
Brakes are a joke to change. Search for a brake change. All you really need is a C clamp and some sockets and basic tire change stuff. Take the wheel off. Look on the inside of the wheel well and you will see two bolts holding the caliper on. Take these two bolts off and take the caliper off. You might have to hit the caliper with a rubber mallet or just pry with a screwdriver. The caliper comes off by pushing it (or hitting) towards the rear. After the caliper is off take the two pads off. One pad you can see looking at the rotor and the other is on the inside. Pop those out and then put one of the pads on the two piston like things on the caliper and compress it with the C clamp. After this just pop the new pads in, put the caliper back on (line it up correctly; and may have to hit with mallet again) and put the wheel back on. MAKE SURE TO TIGHTEN LUG NUTS. Be easy on the brakes for the first couple of days/maybe a week.
I'll preface these questions by saying that I know nothing about brakes... so...Do you have to bleed the line or anything? will it change the way the pedal feels inside? and should you change all the pads or is just the front ok?

Thanks.. soon to have a brake pad party in the carport...

Old 08-27-2005, 05:06 PM
no bleeding involved at all. It may change the way the brake feels but it will feel better and no squeaking at all. I just changed the front because it was the only ones that dust would show up. It is fine to just change the fronts. My last truck i changed the fronts at 50K and changed the backs and the fronts at 100K. Generally i think, not sure, but the backs ones usually last 1/3-1/2 times longer than the front plus or minus a little. Good luck. I didnt know anything about breaks the first time i did it but was really suprised how simple it was.

Quick Reply: $45 Advance Auto ceramic pads