2004 - 2008 F-150

Water Leak in New '05 King Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 02:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Leak in New '05 King Ranch

All:

I see that several have had trouble with leaks. Seems like they are usually attributed to a plugged drain hole, the fuse box, or, most commonly, the third brake light.

On a recenty rainy day, I saw water leaking into my brand new truck. It was coming in at the cosmetic cover over the top screw of the grab handle on the passengers side. It seemed to get worse when I had the nose pointed down relative to the rear end.

Has anyone seen water coming in at this point? What was the cause?

Thanks so much.

Scott

Old 08-14-2005, 03:00 AM
Have you checked your seal around your door, maybe its not in properly which is allowing water in, if not, I don't know. Good luck and hope you get if figured out.

Old 08-14-2005, 07:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by svermill
(Snip
It was coming in at the cosmetic cover over the top screw of the grab handle on the passengers side.
Don’t sound like a third brake light because they usually leak straight down on the rear seat. You can probably pinpoint the leak yourself using this test method.

close all the windows; turn the blower on high/normal air/spray soapy water around the 3rd brake light. Look for bubbles.

I would imagine no matter where the leak is, it would still show up using this test so spray around the door area too and take a look-see

Old 08-14-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by svermill
All:

I see that several have had trouble with leaks. Seems like they are usually attributed to a plugged drain hole, the fuse box, or, most commonly, the third brake light.

On a recenty rainy day, I saw water leaking into my brand new truck. It was coming in at the cosmetic cover over the top screw of the grab handle on the passengers side. It seemed to get worse when I had the nose pointed down relative to the rear end.

Has anyone seen water coming in at this point? What was the cause?

Thanks so much.

Scott
You have a moonroof right? I bet you do.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by 2001SUPERCREW
You have a moonroof right? I bet you do.
I do not. With the King Ranch, you get either moon roof or DVD. I could get my hands on either one with a DVD and LS differential or one with a moon roof and no LS. I had to have LS, so I wound up with a DVD player up where a moon roof might otherwise have been.

+

Old 08-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
Don’t sound like a third brake light because they usually leak straight down on the rear seat. You can probably pinpoint the leak yourself using this test method.

close all the windows; turn the blower on high/normal air/spray soapy water around the 3rd brake light. Look for bubbles.

I would imagine no matter where the leak is, it would still show up using this test so spray around the door area too and take a look-see
Thanks for your help! I'll check that out when I get back into town and let you all know how it goes. I did check the dorr seals. They look fine. I hope it's not the light, because the water travels a long way to get to the front of a supercrew!

Thanks to all for your thoughts and ideas...

Old 08-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember a couple of people having to get their windshields resealed due to a leak around them. You may want to check there as well.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:17 AM
they just replaced my 3rd brake light for just that!.. leaks.. arrrggg

chris

Old 08-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a service message about water leaks via the passenger's side A-pillar, but I'm running kinda short on time right now, I'll see if I can dig it up later. And FWIW, I just found out about a week ago that my third brake light still leaks under real hard rain or in a car wash. If it ain't one thing...

Old 08-15-2005, 02:28 PM
RTV cured my leak

Old 08-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jpdadeo

<image deleted>

That is some forward thinking JP. ;-)

(Nice bubbles, too LOL)

Old 08-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Suspended
My 3rd brake light also leaked but the shop that installed my alarm and navigational headunit siliconed it up and dried up the damn carpet. They had the antenna for the navigation routed through the brake light so I wasn't even going to mess around with Ford because I knew they'd blame it on that but the silicone fixed it like a champ.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by blitzkrieg
That is some forward thinking JP. ;-)

(Nice bubbles, too LOL)
Quintin gave me that tip!

Old 08-16-2005, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by Quintin
There's a service message about water leaks via the passenger's side A-pillar, but I'm running kinda short on time right now, I'll see if I can dig it up later. And FWIW, I just found out about a week ago that my third brake light still leaks under real hard rain or in a car wash. If it ain't one thing...
THANKS! I would really be interested to see if that's a match for my problem.

This is crazy. Ford slaps a $40k+ sticker on a truck and it leaks right off the lot!? Seemingly in more than one place, potentially? Spanning more than a single model year? Wow. That doesn't sound like trying very hard to me.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 PM
same water leak

Well the water leak is back. I have had the 3rd brake like replaced. I had the winshield resealed, and i replaced the Gem and fuse box. STILL got water coming in on the passenger side wire run beside the door. it fills up with water, the a/c comes on when the key is out. the alarm lights flashes, and a beeping sounds goes off. any more ideas on this truck, its driving me crazy

thanks

Quick Reply: Water Leak in New '05 King Ranch