2004 - 2008 F-150

Shimmies and Shakes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ketch
what exactly did they change?
Scottps, I agree with Ketch what did they change that fixed your problem? I put about 500 miles on mine this weekend and the steering nibble is all but gone but the pulsation is a little worse.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by ATCS2004
I had a slight steering wheel nibble that appeared to get worse over time. I didn't really notice a problem until about 18K miles. I just returned from a long 3K mile trip to Colorado and decided to take my 04 4x2 Lariat in and complain about the nibble and the power rear slider not workiing. I ended up getting a front end alignment and tires balanced. What a difference that made! No more nibble! The down side is I had to pay $89 since I didn't bring it in within 12 months/ 12k miles. The rear pwr slider motor is still on order. I still love this truck!
I tried everything to get ride of my nibble and 65 mph vibe and then another member said when they went to bilsteins that there problems were cured. I put bilsteins on and my problem was cured also. Then when I think about it I had a alignment done along with the shock change at the recommendation of the shop. ATCS2004 also had a alignment done! Just a thought guys!

Old 08-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Road force balancing cured my problems along with replacing one Nitto T.G.

Tire was out of round. Thank you Discount Tire !!

nordicbastard

Old 08-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by ATCS2004
I had a slight steering wheel nibble that appeared to get worse over time. I didn't really notice a problem until about 18K miles. I just returned from a long 3K mile trip to Colorado and decided to take my 04 4x2 Lariat in and complain about the nibble and the power rear slider not workiing. I ended up getting a front end alignment and tires balanced. What a difference that made! No more nibble! The down side is I had to pay $89 since I didn't bring it in within 12 months/ 12k miles. The rear pwr slider motor is still on order. I still love this truck!
If the work was done to fix the nibble you shouldnt have paid anything I have 18,500 miles on my truck.Today the service manager said the road force balance will be paid for by Ford.

Old 09-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Well, now I am getting more and more frustrated by the minute. Took the truck in last Monday for the steering wheel shake and a WOMP... WOMP... WOMP feeling/sound/shake that happens between 55 and 63 with my foot on the gas. In the FIRST day they finally got rid of the steering wheel shimmy, they said they re-indexed the tires. Uhhh, well if that was all it took, why couldn't they have done that the first time? I also think that they adjusted the alignment when they did that since it looks like the wheels sit more like this: /\ rather than: \\ like they did before. LITERALLY they looked like they leaned to the top left (from the front) before they worked on it.

Anyway, they told me all was fixed. I drove it home and as soon as I hit speed, I knew the pulsating womp.. womp... womp was not gone. So I took it back the next day. They said their "tech thought that was something in the driveline." My initial thought was well then why didn't you fix it before? But I was just glad that they had noticed it too so I let it drop. Well a week and a half later, they still have my truck, have replaced the drive shaft, the transmission mounts, body mounts, now are waiting on a new torque converter for replacement tomorrow. They have acknowledged that the pulsation is still not fixed after each replacement. They continue to tell me that they are following a Ford procedure and they don't know how long it could take.

Honestly, I will be using this truck for towing a 22 foot boat and don't want a "new" truck that has been re-built by a mechanic. I expressed my concern with the advisor today and he said that I am "too early in the process" to start thinking about a buy back or swap. Let's see... 1.5 month old truck, 3 weeks in the shop... sounds like 50/50 to me. And the 50 that I drove it, it shook like a salt shaker.

Should have kept my fire hazard 2002.

They aren't even covering my rental.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:15 PM
johnyb777 I know what you mean, the first road force balance fixed the steering nibble then it came back over time, the second road force balance helped but not as much as the first time. After 2 trips and ten days in the shop they finally fixed the rear end whine but now I have weird sensation in the back of the truck like a slight vibration it is more noticable when I pull a 21ft. boat. I am in the process of trying to find a work car to help with the gas milage and when I find what I want my truck is going back to the dealer until everything is taken care of. The worst part is at work 90% of the guys are die hard Chevy fans and I have to listen to their crap everytime that they give me a rental.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:29 PM
tell me about it... I am the only person in my department that drives a ford. I rented a car (on my own bill non the less) at the stealership and they put me in a CHEVY cobalt. Imagine the stuff I catch from the guys at work.

Seriously though, this problem seems different than yours, maybe? I would love to get a detailed description of everyone's "vibration." I am not a mechanic, but I am an engineer. Mine makes a "womp, womp, womp" feeling/sound at 55-63, and at 40-45. The sound/feeling is very distinct with a foot on the gas, but if you listen close it is there even in neutral coasting through those speeds. It seems to be happening at the same frequency even at the different speeds.

From what I know about automatic transmissions and drivelines, the only part in a vehicle that could rotate at the same rotational speed at different vehicle speeds is the gearing in an automatic transmission.

Any transmission guys have any thoughts on this??? Any experts out there???

Old 09-08-2005, 01:00 AM
O.K. guys I have had the same two problems nibble and vibe. I have been trying to get this solved for tooooo long. Here is the way I see it. The steering nibble is not something that seems to be easy to fix. It has been said many times, fixed today, problem back tomorrow. I think the only real fix is a steering stabilizer. I just can't find one for a 04, 05 F150. If you know of one let us know.

I have also been told that the vibe is due to the "stiff frame" and that all minor road bumps are transmitted into the truck. That’s a bunch on bunk. I feel the same vibe 42 - 53 MPH no matter what type of pavement. The way to prove this is to put the truck on some rollers (Dyno) and bring the truck up to speed. Guess what... the vibe is still there and the truck is not moving. So much for the frame - road surface excuse. They don't have an answer to that one yet. I'm still waiting to hear back to see what they are willing to do now. This problem is in the drive line some place no question.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:30 AM
I had a DOB 10.03 F-150 SCAB with the 50 to 65 mph vibration and steering wheel nibble 65+. The Ford FSE said the truck was normal and would do nothing. A few weeks later TSBs started coming out and my dealer tried them too. Drive Staft, Road Forced Balance and then the FSE would not do any more. He told me that if I was not happy go to the DSB. (which Ford now uses the BBB). I won my case and Ford had to buy the truck back, plus all payed instrest, add ons and I paid $500 milage charge for 22,000.
I'm done with Ford products. I read today that Ford is now working with the French on small cars, I'll stick with Honda.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by jt99ford
If the work was done to fix the nibble you shouldnt have paid anything I have 18,500 miles on my truck.Today the service manager said the road force balance will be paid for by Ford.
I think he had to pay $89 for the alignment...that would not be covered outside 12 months or 12,000 miles.

Originally Posted by Labrador
I had a DOB 10.03 F-150 SCAB with the 50 to 65 mph vibration and steering wheel nibble 65+. The Ford FSE said the truck was normal and would do nothing. A few weeks later TSBs started coming out and my dealer tried them too. Drive Staft, Road Forced Balance and then the FSE would not do any more. He told me that if I was not happy go to the DSB. (which Ford now uses the BBB). I won my case and Ford had to buy the truck back, plus all payed instrest, add ons and I paid $500 milage charge for 22,000.
I'm done with Ford products. I read today that Ford is now working with the French on small cars, I'll stick with Honda.
Then why are you still here?

Old 09-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Suspended
Im still fighting with mine. I just want a new truck or mine fixed!!!

Old 09-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Im just waiting now. I filed my paperwork with the BBB this week. Wish me luck. I just want a new truck so I can enjoy what im paying for.

BREW

Old 09-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Suspended
I filled mine out too, Im just waiting on this last repair order to be completed.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Still waiting for action on this side too. BBB decided I neede to let Ford have one more attempt at fixing the issues which an independent inspector verified. Ford is supposed to have 30-days to remedy, then I can ask for a re-evaluation of the issue with BBB. So far, it's been a waste of time and efforts. BBB so far has equated to Big Bunch bulls$%t

Old 09-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Suspended
No, when you file with BBB than the dealer automatically has one last repair attempt to make and if they don't fix it on that last try or in 30 days. Actions will than be taken.

Quick Reply: Shimmies and Shakes...