2004 - 2008 F-150

difference between Flow 40s, and Super 40's

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
difference between Flow 40s, and Super 40's

I dont really get the difference, is the super quieter? I want it nice and loud, but not raspy and not that much drone...i can take some, but i dont want it like interupting cabin conversations either.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Suspended
05STX,

You said it perfect man. I've been asking this question for 3 months now on here and never have gotten a clear response. I just don't think anyone really knows the difference. There are 50% that say they love the flow 40 on their new trucks, and 50% say they hate it and it's too quiet. Well, what does too quiet mean? I know what a 40 sounds like on my '93 f150, good but could stand a little bit more. I figured these new trucks like my new 5.4 would be much louder, so I figured a 40 would work. But I do have a certain drone in my '93, but not bad, and I thought maybe that would be louder in my new 5.4, so I considered the super 40. ...but, like you said, what is a super 40 and what does it sound like??? If it is as loud as a 40 all the time except at cruising speeds (which means eliminating the drone mostly) then I'd buy it. But now some are saying 'it's just a marketing gimmick.' So who knows, maybe someone will post on here this time and help us out. Even 2 guys at the exhaust shop I talked to told me 2 different opposite stories about 40's and super 40's. I like flowmaster, I would put on a muffler for sound, not necessarily for gaining HP or something.....but I also don't want to lose any. I just don't know, hopefully some good intelligent person can help out on here that is familiar with both. And wouldn't you know it, flowmaster doesn't even have any decent sound clips for our trucks.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:43 PM
ya i noticed that too, no sound clips anywhere...

I was also looking into magnaflow, or the IMCO mufflers, the magnaflow i think is going to be too quiet, but i could always switch out a cat or 2, then the imco, i just dont know anything about them, so i guess ill just have to come to a decision on my own.

Old 07-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Sorry I don't know either....I have the FM40 (not the Super 40) on my truck with the 5.4. I'm kinda dissappointed with the sound since I had the exact same catback setup on my last truck (2004 Avalanche 5.3) and it sounded awesome!!! I'd pull up and everyone would look expecting to see a suped up 'vette or musclecar. On this truck, you just can't hear it that much unless you're hard on the gas....and even then it doesn't sound as good.

Old 07-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Well, im not the forum police so i wont tell you this should be posted somewhere else.......b/c someone else probably will. But seriously theres a lot of good info in the exhaust forum.

your answer is 3 clicks away.....i think.

Standard 40

Super 40

40 Series Delta Flow

They all hace sound clips, look close, bottom left hand corner under pic of muffler.

I'm pretty sure if you did not specify when you got your exaust, if you got it from a muffler shop, "cut and weld" style you almost for sure got the "standard 40" series. Should be most agressive sounding.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:22 PM
ya dude, those sound clips dont work for me, on either of my 2 computers.
Sorry but no good.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by 05-STX-4x4
ya dude, those sound clips dont work for me, on either of my 2 computers.
Sorry but no good.
Same here?????
There's your answer, crappy website = dont buy flows.
It does expalin the dif. though.

Trending Topics

Old 07-22-2005, 07:35 PM
I had the flowmaster 40 series put on my 4.6 (not the super 40), BIG time drone
I personally will not purchase "Flowmaster" again.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:48 PM
exx
The Flowmaster 40 series American Thunder is the loudest muffler you can get. All the Flowmasters sound good and so d the Magnaflows. I personally like the Flowmaster Hushpowers theyre a little mellower than the loud guys but I love the sound, very "pretty" if you can use that word to describe the sound of an exhaust. But if you want the loudest most agressive muffler you need the Flowmaster 40 series American Thunder. There are different types of 40 series and you need to make sure you get the American Thunder. Magnaflows sound just ok I think, but they are tried and tested to be the best performing exhaust according to Troyer which I dont think anyone would argue his being correct about which products perform the best.

Last edited by exx; 07-23-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:22 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by exx
The Flowmaster 40 series American Thunder is the loudest muffler you can get. All the Flowmasters sound good and so d the Magnaflows. I personally like the Flowmaster Hushpowers theyre a little mellower than the loud guys but I love the sound, very "pretty" if you can use that word to describe the sound of an exhaust. But if you want the loudest most agressive muffler you need the Flowmaster 40 series American Thunder. There are different types of 40 series and you need to make sure you get the American Thunder. Magnaflows sound just ok I think, but they are tried and tested to be the best performing exhaust according to Troyer which I dont think anyone would argue his being correct about which products perform the best.
I just don't know, what is 'american thunder?' I've heard of it and seen it in plenty of magazines, but my impression was that it is the name of the flowmaster exhaust system sold as a system. I don't think you can go to a muffler shop and say 'I want a flowmaster 40 american thunder muffler.' I think the flow 40 series is the muffler used in the american thunder exhaust system made by flowmaster, but I could be wrong.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:23 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by shookman34
Sorry I don't know either....I have the FM40 (not the Super 40) on my truck with the 5.4. I'm kinda dissappointed with the sound since I had the exact same catback setup on my last truck (2004 Avalanche 5.3) and it sounded awesome!!! I'd pull up and everyone would look expecting to see a suped up 'vette or musclecar. On this truck, you just can't hear it that much unless you're hard on the gas....and even then it doesn't sound as good.
This is exactly what I'm afraid of and why I haven't bought one yet.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:55 AM
exx
Yes man, you can go to the muffler shop and tell them you want the 40 series American Thunder. If they tell you that all 40 series are the same or whatever or some other crap they just dont have the American Thunder in stock and are trying to just sell you something so you dont go find it elsewhere. There are a couple different 40 series mufflers by Flowmaster.

http://flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html

http://flowmastermufflers.com/40_orig.html

If you want thier loudest muffler man you make sure you get the 40 series American Thunder. I think that is why many people get the Flowmaster and then are disappointed by it because the jerkoffs that sold it to them sold them a 40 series Delta Flow or something which was designed to not make as much noise. Many people began wanting a performance muffler but without the sound that made Flowmaster famous. Hence you have Magnaflows and what not. Not knocking Magnaflow at all its a great exhaust. But Flowmaster wanted some of that market share too so they toned down some of thier noise hence 40 series Delta Flow which is supposed to be toned down especially on the interior so older guys with families and stuff didnt have that interior resonance on long road trips for example. But then there are still those of us that want that sound that made Flowmaster famous. And Ive got kids too. 2 beautiful girls. Anyways the Standard 40 Series American Thunder. Should be stated on the box and everything man.

Old 07-23-2005, 06:35 PM
I'm a guy who has had the Original 40 Series on my truck, a 2005 F150 with the 4.6L V8. I like very loud exhaust and interior resonance is not a problem for me as long as I can hear people talking to me, can talk on my phone, or hear my stereo without a problem. The 40 Series is extremely mild inside the cab. It sounds good when accelerating and at cruise there is almost no drone to speak of. Outside it sounds pretty good as well. I had mine dumped for maximum volume and this is my opinion. The 40 Series made my truck sound more like a Mustang than a truck. It was not deep enough and it also wasn't loud enough. Furthermore, since getting my new exhaust I found that I lost a lot of low end with the 40 Series that has now reappeared. This may have been partly due to the dump, but people with full-piped systems have lost low end with the Flowmaster as well. I replaced the 40 Series with an IMCO Extreme 1-chamber muffler. This muffler's case is 6 inches long and there are no baffles unlike the multiple walls and baffles you see inside the 40 Series. I am running this exhaust SI/SO and 3 inches in diameter. It exits behind my rear tire into a 24x3.5 inch angle cut tip out at a 45 degree angle. This system is the loudest, deepest exhaust I have ever heard. It sounds great with easy acceleration and WOT at high RPMs still sounds full and smooth, unlike the tinny rasp of the Flowmaster. My power has noticeably increased since installation of this muffler, and I get slightly better gas mileage with this
setup than with my 40 Series. Of course, I'd see better gains if I wasn't stomping it out of every stoplight. The fact is that my neighbor's Dodge Ram Hemi with true duals is put to shame by the sound of my truck, much to his embarassment! I would encourage anyone looking for loud, quality exhaust to look beyond the typical mediocre Flowmaster product and check out an IMCO. You won't be dissapointed.

Old 07-23-2005, 07:19 PM
I heard that imco is REALLY loud and sound like a race car, not a truck

Old 07-23-2005, 09:50 PM
It is EXTREMELY loud, but it sounds like a truck! Actually, when it's cold in the morning and you start it up it sounds like a boat. Pretty cool. Bet the neighbors don't like it though.

Quick Reply: difference between Flow 40s, and Super 40's