2004 - 2008 F-150

Steering wheel shimmy

Old 06-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel shimmy

Well after haveing my front tires and wheels balanced 3 times I still have the shimmy! It is better than before but it is still there at about 70 mph, is there any fix for this problem?

Old 06-29-2005, 10:05 AM
well Thump, I just had an interesting experience. My 04 Lariat SCab has always been smooth. 20K miles, 3 tire rotations, 2 alignments. So now I install Groundforce 2" rear drop and take the truck in for alignment. They also rotate tires and check balance. NOW I have a slight shimmy (sometimes) and the truck feels "vibey". Not bad but it's now there, where it wasn't before.
I remember getting truck back after align and the Parking Brake was set. I pushed it all the way to the floor and did a snap-release (basically yank the handle as fast as I could).

My vibey is gone now and back to normal. Sucker must have been just barely dragging.
worth a try maybe??

Old 06-29-2005, 10:06 AM
I don't know if this is related but very well could be I had problems with mine shaking some times and other issues to many to list the replaced the clutch paks in the rear diff do you have L-S in yours, After they replaced the parts it drive like a new truck all issues gone

Old 06-29-2005, 10:44 AM
I too got my tires balanced and rotated and got the vibe. I call Ford Service center and told them I was not happy after paying 50.00 bucks to get my tires rotated and balance and got a free shimmy.

They asked me to take it back and it appears that I got two tires out of round. The shimmy is gone now that they replaced both front tires for free. Hope this helps!

Old 06-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Well, I have the open diff. and yes I did have a sticky e-brake so I took it apart and antisezed it and the bad vibe is gone now just the steering wheel shimmy?

Old 06-29-2005, 03:12 PM
i believe there iare a few tbs's for that shimmy thing.. mine does the same thing.. get up to 65-70.. here's some i found..

---------------------------------------------------------------
Bulletin No: 042611
Date of Bulletin: 05/05/2005

Summary Description:

FRONT END SHUDDER/VIBRATION WHEN BRAKING - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 11/18/2004. *TT

----------------------------------------------------------
Bulletin No: 04257
Date of Bulletin: 04/29/2005

Summary Description:

VEHICLE/STEERING WHEEL VIBRATION AT 50 MPH (80 KM/H) OR HIGHER - STEERING WHEEL NIBBLE AT 65 MPH (105 KM/H) OR HIGHER. *TT

--------------------------------------------------------------
Bulletin No: 04258
Date of Bulletin: 04/29/2005

Summary Description:

1ST ORDER VIBRATION FROM THE DRIVELINE AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. *TT

chris

Old 06-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's been a lot of discussion regarding vibrations and steering wheel shimmy concerns...search and ye shall receive.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My truck has been in 3 times for the exact same problem, and now they are going to replace the steering wheel column/rack or something?
I know its not a tire problem as i had them check and recheck my factory tires with no luck, and i switched to my new rims and tires and still have the same problem at the same speed as before. The sad thing is i gave my dealer the info and TSB's on the steering wheel vibe last time, and they replaced the gears in the rear end for the rear end shudder/whine that i never new i had!
Later Trev

Old 06-30-2005, 08:39 AM
Yea, they want to replace my gears also for a vibe! and from reading on this site some people said it maybe the e-brake dragging and sure enough that is what it was. I took the brakes apart and found that butterfly piece rusted solid so I cleaned it up and antisezed it and now that vibe went away. The dealership is still waiting for the parts to come in (2 months back order) and I fixed it in a hour and a half. I just want the fix for the steering wheel shimmy, it is defidently a balance issue because it got better with the last wheel balance I had!

Old 06-30-2005, 11:52 AM
SW Shimmy or VIBE or ?

I just picked up the Screw from the local (yocal) dealer after forcing them to do a 15k service, they just wanted to do the oil change. I picked it up and drove down the road and noticed the steering wheel shaking at 67-74 mph. I then realized that my bottle of water was shaking noticably in the dashborad cup holder. I believe this would mean that the shake/shutter/shimmey was being caused by the rear wheels, correct?

If that is the case are you saying to have them rebalance the rear tires, reconfirm round rear tires (although no shake when they were on the front), reservice the parking brake then rebuild the rear end in that order?

My Screw is a '04 4X2 w/ 3.73 LS rearend 6800# GVWR w trailer tow package and stock 17" wheels and tires.

Oh yeah one other thing, as Tony the Tiger says, "It's Grrreat!!!!"

Old 06-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Check the E-brake! take the rear rotors off and check the top actuator, to make sure it is not rusty and frozen up. It only takes a little to make that shake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel shimmy