2004 - 2008 F-150

Why Didn't You Boys Tell Me This Thing Was So Big?!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 12:20 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Holy Schmidt!

I just drove my new F-150 home from the dealer this evening and about fell over when I realized I couldn't fit the truck into a standard 8' garage door without folding the mirrors in!

And talk about filling up a garage stall -- mine is a standard cab with a short box and I've still got all I can do to squeeze it into a 20' deep garage! My once roomy 3-car stable is now like living in a two bedroom apartment with 5 roommates!

Then, to top it all off, as I'm pulling the thing into my garage I start to hear an awful sound -- as if I'm pushing or dragging something underneath the truck. Stop, get out, look around, but see nothing. So I jump back into the truck and pull ahead a little more -- same thing! Then it dawns on me -- don't tell me I'm scraping the roof of my brand-new truck on the bottom of the garage door opener!

I get out, and barely have the heart to look up at what I might see. Fortunately, it's only the plastic handle dangling on a rope that releases the opener arm from the garage door itself dragging across the top of the truck! Whew!

But seriously -- I think I may have been driving a Ranger for too long, as I'm a little overwhelmed at how massive these trucks really are!

Pictures will follow early next week, after I've had a chance to get some of my mods installed -- rims & tires, Magnaflow Cat-Back, etc. Hopefully by then some of the shock will have worn off!

Last edited by ddellwo; 06-23-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
"That's what she said!"

Hey, at least you can fit your truck in the garage!!

Old 06-23-2005, 12:48 AM
congrats!

rock on- enjoy the new ride....and the higher view! sal- man a little bit higher, and we could just park under your truck... sweet ride-

ddellwo had the same gut wrenching experience with the garage door handle... its taped to the box now

justin

Old 06-23-2005, 01:10 AM
ddellwo, I scrap the emergency release pull plastic handle when I park in the center.
I had to rearange the garage after I got this beast. It does fit well enough in a 22 foot garage. At least after I moved my workbench...
Enjoy the truck
Chris

Old 06-23-2005, 02:04 AM
Hey I tried to tell you...my first words on this sight were: "man this thing is big"!

I keep in the driveway because my wifes Yukon xl takes up a third, my workshop another third and there's only enough room for the kids bikes.

It sits lonely in my driveway, collecting the dust from all the Murrieta CA construction.

I miss my garage!

Old 06-23-2005, 03:42 AM
In my new garage it fits with 4" to spare when the door is closed

Old 06-23-2005, 03:43 AM
In all honesty, for a full sized truck, its not that big.
I also own a 1997 Dodge Ram and its much wider and larger in general.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:05 AM
Congrats on the new truck ...
Good luck "handling" it ..
sorry couldn't resist .........

Old 06-23-2005, 09:23 AM
I guess you didn't measure before you bought.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:37 AM
jcc
i wish i had a garage

Old 06-23-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm house shopping right now and the first thing I do is measure the garage, or have my realtor agent measure it. If it's not big enough, then I don't waste my time making an appointment to go see it.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Yeah, they are beasts. When I first got mine I took it downtown (DC) and it was just ridiculous. There was no where to park it and it just dwarfed all the econoboxes. When a friend of mine down there saw it he walked up and said, "good grief, this thing's taller than I am", then just shrugged and walked away.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Don't worry, the more you use the garage the easier it will slip in...

Old 06-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by J-150
I guess you didn't measure before you bought.
Actually, I did, so I knew the truck was going to fit lengthwise. I think what really shocked me is how much "space" it took up -- the height and width of the truck is what I really think makes the difference.

And the fact that I wouldn't be able to pull it into the garage door without first folding in the mirrors? I'll admit that I didn't even THINK to check for that!

I thought about just parking it in a stall with access through the larger 16' door, but then the length of the vehicle becomes an issue, as it rides up into my workbench. So, I guess I'll just have to get used to the "Big Gulp" in my third stall!

The last full size truck I drove with any regularity was my dad's 1972 Chevrolet when I was back at home. That truck was a longbox versus my shortbox, and I'll guarantee you the dimensions of my new Ford are MUCH bigger than that old Chevy, even though the Chev was technically a bigger (3/4-ton longbox versus 1/2-ton shortbox)truck!

Old 06-23-2005, 10:29 AM
i could swear my garage door is 8ft wide, and my 04 truck, and my 03 navigator go in with the mirrors out and about 2" to spare on each side.

Quick Reply: Why Didn't You Boys Tell Me This Thing Was So Big?!!