2004 - 2008 F-150

Magnaflow 3" SI/SO

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnaflow 3" SI/SO

I was hoping to get the opinions from some '04 F150 4x4 Supercrew Lariat owners who have installed the Magnaflow 3" SI/SO. What is the sound of the Magnaflow 3" SI/SO compared to the stock exhaust? Reason that I'm asking is because I especially like the quiet operation of the stock exhaust. I don't want anything that is going to be load inside of the truck while crusing at 70mph. I was initally sold on the Gibson Performance Exhaust but I have read many complaints on the install. What tools are required to remove the stock exhaust and install the Magnaflow 3" SI/SO? Thanks.

Old 06-19-2005, 11:58 AM
use this there is alot of stuff on this site about these exaust systems, and video clips to

Old 06-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by jokergomez81
use this there is alot of stuff on this site about these exaust systems, and video clips to
After an hour or so of searching I wasn't able to find a sound clip of this exhaust. I am more concerned with the exhaust sound while cruising 70mph down the freeway. Just to be sure on the part number, MagnaFlow 15821 for my 2004 F-150 4x4 Supercrew lariat build date May 26, 2004? Thanks.

Old 06-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I own a SISO Magna and am very pleased with the sound. I have no drone at any speed but, I can certainly hear it if I tromp it.

Naturally, the sound is all in the ears of the beholder... to me, it's just about perfect. Your results may vary.

RP

Old 06-19-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all the info. What tools are required to do the install? I am not very skilled with auto work, so "dumb it down" for me.

Old 06-19-2005, 09:39 PM
I just installed the SI/SO magnaflow on Saturday (Dyno will be posted tomorrow). The sound is excellent. My whole family realy likes it. It's just makes the truck sound better without being obnoxious at all. Installation was a breeze, less than 1 hour. I read most of the installation threads before hand and they weren't much help. The best way to do it is to unscrew and detach all three muffler hangers first. If you don't do this, you will have a hard time getting the factory muffler out of the hanger bushings while they are attached. Also, buy some silicone spray at your local autoparts store and spray the hangers and the point at which you disconnect the muffler (after you have loosened the bolts). Then, with each new piece of the new muffler, attach the hanger to the muffler before hanging. Attach the hanger back to the frame at each step, but do not tighten anything down yet. When you get the entire muffler attached, tighten the three hangers up then tighten the muffler clamps. I used a lift when I installed mine which probably made it easier, but I never read that you should just take the hangers completely off first... This makes it extremely easy. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 06-19-2005, 09:54 PM
I have this setup also. Ok, here is my experience. Idle is a nice rumble, not loud at all here. When acclerating or pulling under any load, this system is most noticeable at 1800-2100 rpm, where it is fairly deep sounding. Above that and it kind of gets quieter, even at full throttle. Since when cruising at 70mph you are right in that range, I can hear the exhaust rumbling a little bit, moreso than stock. When on flat interstate, the rumble is not loud enough to bother me at all, very mild, but definitelly there. If you press on the gas a little to acclerate without kicking down out of overdrive, it is fairly loud at that rpm range, but only when under slight load. At 55-60mph in overdrive, it makes nearly no noise at all, even when under high load in top gear. But be warned, there is some noise in that 1800-2100 rpm range but it is only what I would consider "loud" (and also what I think sounds good) when loading it down and not really with the cruise on maintaining speed. I don't think this is a real characteristic of this particular system, but mostly just the engine's characteristics because if you take the exhaust off completely after the cats, it exhibits this same louder RPM range and then gets a little quieter when you go higher than this range. And like was said, take those darn hangers off from the frame or you will never get the exhaust to slide out of the rubber, it is like glued in there. The way I did it was take all 3 off the frame (1-10 mm bolt each on the front 2 hangers and 2 bolts on the rear hanger), set the tailpipe on a 5 gallon bucket so it wouldn't droop down, loosen the factory clamp (15mm wrench I believe) and get a big hammer and whack the muffler strait back, and it will slide off and fall on the ground. Hope this helps!!! Oh and the chrome tip looks GREAT!

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 3" SI/SO