2004 - 2008 F-150

AutoSpring 2" and Bilstein Shocks Installed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AutoSpring 2" and Bilstein Shocks Installed...

...let me tell you, overall, this isn't a quick one man project trying to replace front and rear shocks as well as the leveling kit. I have to say I think the worst part was swapping out the actual front shocks. The spring compressor didn't work all that great, and overall was a lot of hand wrenching for one guy to do, but in the end...I got it done!

Front Before: 36 5/8"
Front After: 38 7/8"
Front Lift: 2.25"

Rear stayed the same...I'm going to have to try to measure them all again later when the wind isn't blowing like crazy, because I swear before I got 39 1/4"...anyways, despite the EXACT results, I'm very happy with it, and the shocks are day and night difference in feel.

Before

After

Side After

More pics in my truck gallery...

Old 11-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Hey man, How much better are the new shocks? I put the 2.5" autospring and I'm wondering if I should replace the shocks? What did that cost you? Did you install them or have them done? Thanks!

Old 11-18-2005, 05:42 PM
I did it myself, at the same time as the autospring. I love the ride and feel of the Bilsteins over the stock shocks...yeah it's a somewhat small but noticable difference in ride but I find it a perfect compromise, especially for a truck. Before, it felt like a big ol' caddy from Dolomite movies or something just wishing and washing whichever way the front end wanted to go. That wishy-washy feeling isn't there anymore, and the sudden big bumps are so much nicer on the Bilsteins. I wouldn't have it any other way...

Old 11-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Truck looks great. I've go the same combo sitting in my garage, just delivered from ebay. Install planned next week.

Does the truck seem more comfortable as far as the front and rear seats are concerned. They're so flat stock, it would seem to me that a leveled truck might give you a more natural feeling seat position.

Also, did you adjust your headlights and how. I can't see where there is a place to do so.

Thanks.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:14 PM
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your shocks. I'm going to replace all mine too when I do my Daystar level.

Truck looks killer,

jrbhc8

Old 11-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by jrbhc8
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your shocks. I'm going to replace all mine too when I do my Daystar level.

Truck looks killer,

jrbhc8
Go to ebay and search on Bilsteins f-150. Mine were $329 for all (4). The guys email is techdeals1 and he sells nothing but shocks. No cheaper anywhere as far as I can tell.

Bought it with buy-it-now and they were here in two days.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:45 PM
Stupid question - One doesn't HAVE to upgrade shocks with leveling kit install, right?

I got the 2".. just making sure..

Trending Topics

Old 11-19-2005, 12:24 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by SSpiro
Stupid question - One doesn't HAVE to upgrade shocks with leveling kit install, right?

I got the 2".. just making sure..
Nope.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Nope.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by DevilSun
I did it myself, at the same time as the autospring. I love the ride and feel of the Bilsteins over the stock shocks...yeah it's a somewhat small but noticable difference in ride but I find it a perfect compromise, especially for a truck. Before, it felt like a big ol' caddy from Dolomite movies or something just wishing and washing whichever way the front end wanted to go. That wishy-washy feeling isn't there anymore, and the sudden big bumps are so much nicer on the Bilsteins. I wouldn't have it any other way...
I am a newbie, and I discovered that wishy-washy right away. I am told that is normal for trucks. I would like to improve also. I am used to after hitting bumps, the wheels come right back down in line. .Not so with trucks!

Also, want to lower. Sounds like if I go with lowering 2 inches front and rear, and changing to Bliestin front struts, and rear shocks, I got a treat coming.

Nice work, will be following your thread to see how the final comes out...

Old 11-19-2005, 03:01 PM
TO lower toward the ground w/ new shocks bilstein...it might not good idea cuz it would compress hard and break.

I can be wrong but i think you will need a shortER shock if you want to lower your truck.

YOMAN!

Old 11-19-2005, 05:45 PM
I'll check ebay, thanks....

jrbhc8

Quick Reply: AutoSpring 2" and Bilstein Shocks Installed...