2004 - 2008 F-150

Xcal2 or dynotuned Diablo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xcal2 or dynotuned Diablo?

I was recently looking at getting a Xcal2 from troyer to replace my Diablo tuner, but a friend of mine recomended just having my truck dyno tuned with teh Diablo. The cost would work out to be about the same assuming I could get 300 for my tuner. Any ideas as to which would be better?

Old 06-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Sort of hard to say what would be better? Better for what? WOT probably the dyno tuned diablo $ for $ since you've already got it.

Personally I never could get the shifts quite right with the predator at areas less than WOT. Probably just me ...? I toy'd with the same dyno idea ... but was looking for towing tunes over WOT. A long story short ... I went with some Troyer tunes and happy as a pig in mud.

A tuner loads a tune mapping ... so my take is that the tune mapping content is what makes the difference not the tuner. To get the best tune mapping it stands to reason that hooking up your specific vehicle and testing to dial it in could yield best results.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Sorry guess I should have specified what I wa slooking for. I want the most overall power. Whatever will get me the fastest acceleration and performance up to 90 mph or so. Assuming I got 300 for my Predator it is only like 20 more expensive to get the xcal2, when you figure in the cost of dyno tuning.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:48 AM
you need the right tuner (person) to give you the right power. the tuners (obd2) both pretty much do the same thing in modifing spark and A/F ratios, you just need the right person to know what they are doing. keep the diablo, just have it tuned, i love mine. have you updated to ver r2? if not we have graph functions w/ the standard datalogging, maf adjustments, overall spark increase, etc...

Old 06-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Ok I called a couple shops and they pretty much said they could only guarantee about 5hp more with dyno tuning and it would cost 175$. Does it still sound like I should stick with the Diablo or does troyer tuning give more performance?

Old 06-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by HCFR-Halligan
Ok I called a couple shops and they pretty much said they could only guarantee about 5hp more with dyno tuning and it would cost 175$. Does it still sound like I should stick with the Diablo or does troyer tuning give more performance?
some people will never get it...

you dont need HP, you need TQ
you dont need another tuner, you need it tuned for the truck

there is just a whole bunch of hype about the xcal & xcal2, any performance tuner does the SAME thing, if it wasnt for troyers hype on the products here i dont think your question would come up, but most other fords, diablo's products are used 75% more than any other tuner from what i have seen

Quick Reply: Xcal2 or dynotuned Diablo?