2004 - 2008 F-150

should i trade it in or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should i trade it in or not?

I'm starting to regret buying a SuperCab, and wishing I got the SuperCrew in the first place.
I've got an 04 SCrew FX4 with the 5.4, 6.5' bed, 17" wheels (I don't like those either), tow package, blk cloth int, 10k miles blah blah blah

Everytime I see a SCrew on the roads I hate it, because I really wish I would have bought one. I don't have a family to put back there, but it would just be a ton more convenient to have.

I stopped by a dealer today and looked at a couple, which was probably a bad idea. I put the drivers seat about where I like it, then popped open the rear door and I about crapped myself. There is so much more room it's not even funny.

I want one. Only problem is, I don't want to lose my *** on this one.

I really love my truck other than that. It tows great, rides great, nice and quiet, etc. But I figure if I'm paying this much, I should get what I REALLY want. I dunno though.

What would you do? Try to sell it outright then try to find a slighty used one that I'm looking for? Trade it in? Or what?

btw, I owe right about what KBB says my "private party value" would be.

thanks guys

Old 06-13-2005, 09:17 PM
If the budget allows for it and you can handle any loss you might take on your current vehicle, go for it. Like you said, you should have what you really want for this kind of money.

I struggled with the Screw vs. Scab choice when I ordered mine. For me, it came down to money, I could get the Scab fully loaded, if I got the Screw I would have to sacrifice some options. I wasn't willing to let go of any of the options and I haven't regretted the purchase once.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you can get the truck you want now with the same (or a lower) payment that you've currently got, I don't really see the harm. Just be realistic and don't get caught in a deal you can't financially keep.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Thayer
If the budget allows for it and you can handle any loss you might take on your current vehicle, go for it. Like you said, you should have what you really want for this kind of money.

I struggled with the Screw vs. Scab choice when I ordered mine. For me, it came down to money, I could get the Scab fully loaded, if I got the Screw I would have to sacrifice some options. I wasn't willing to let go of any of the options and I haven't regretted the purchase once.
i was given the same option... a crew cab lariot with little accessories and 4x2 or a fx4 fully loaded 4x4 but it was a supercab. i took the supercab and i know supercrews look awsome but let it go man. i dont use the bed that much either and i do have passengers in the back every once in a while but shiit i dont care. i love my truck especially that it is an fx4 and its got that little lift and nice wheels. im sure if you want it to look better you can raise it and put nice wheels and tires on it. i have seen some awsome lookin supercabs that are raised with fatty tires and i almost like them more than supercrews. you probly wont get a good deal on ur truck if you sell or trade it anyway. u know dealers. they love makin money. i say keep you truck i think its the better descision.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:52 PM
fiveohpatrol........ I appreciate the offer.

Blue isn't my color, being a university of Georgia grad. I would also like SCREW, but not having a family and needing the extra bed (and $$$$$$$$) I'll stick with the SCAB for now. There is plenty of rear seat for carrying gear to my jobsites or friends, family, etc. on short hauls. Captain's chairs w/ center console and floor shifter is sharp but the 40/20/40's give you an armrest or an additional seat.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:55 PM
I did the same thing dude, bought a Supercab then ended up hating it big time. I am in management consulting and take clients to lunch all the time. I can tell you that getting folks in and out of the back seat of the Supercab in a tight parking space was a real PITA! Even my wife commented on how awkward it was when we used it to take the family out somewhere.

Long story short, 4 months later I dumped the 04 Scab for an 05 Screw and have never looked back! I took a nominal hit trading it in so soon, but I could not see driving and paying for a truck that did not meet my needs. Best of luck in your decision.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Buck Henry
I did the same thing dude, bought a Supercab then ended up hating it big time. I am in management consulting and take clients to lunch all the time. I can tell you that getting folks in and out of the back seat of the Supercab in a tight parking space was a real PITA! Even my wife commented on how awkward it was when we used it to take the family out somewhere.

Long story short, 4 months later I dumped the 04 Scab for an 05 Screw and have never looked back! I took a nominal hit trading it in so soon, but I could not see driving and paying for a truck that did not meet my needs. Best of luck in your decision.
if you dont mind me asking how much did u get for the trade in or how much did u have to pay extra?

Trending Topics

Old 06-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by KiCk *** FX4
if you dont mind me asking how much did u get for the trade in or how much did u have to pay extra?
The price of the new Screw was set by the D-plan (I have a relative that works for a local dealer), so the sticking point was the hit I would have to take on the trade in. It started out pretty bad, to the tune of about $4,000. Because of the family connection, I think they took pity on me and they got the negative equity down to right at $1,000 bucks. I knew trading an 04 in so soon would be painful and I was willing to take a thousand buck hit to get what I really needed.

Hey, I rarely make mistakes. But when I do they are usually expensive.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Buck Henry
The price of the new Screw was set by the D-plan (I have a relative that works for a local dealer), so the sticking point was the hit I would have to take on the trade in. It started out pretty bad, to the tune of about $4,000. Because of the family connection, I think they took pity on me and they got the negative equity down to right at $1,000 bucks. I knew trading an 04 in so soon would be painful and I was willing to take a thousand buck hit to get what I really needed.

Hey, I rarely make mistakes. But when I do they are usually expensive.
damn a thousand bucks isnt bad at all what were u expecting? the scab must have been pretty new for you to get just $1000 for a longer cab. i wish i got that deal.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:13 PM
Suspended
Geez, Ford is going to stop making the Supercab if they keep seeing threads like this!

Im just kidding..

I've said it before, do what you want because its for you, so do what is going to make you happy. Hell flip a coin if your not sure on it.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Quite honestly, If I won a free Screw, I would trade it in for a Scab! The lines, the extra bed space. I actually like just having to pop that rear door for easy access to my gym bag or whatever. Screws are family Explorers/minivans with little boxes on the back! You need a Reg or Scab to spell: TRUCK! To each his own.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by Recurve
Quite honestly, If I won a free Screw, I would trade it in for a Scab! The lines, the extra bed space. I actually like just having to pop that rear door for easy access to my gym bag or whatever. Screws are family Explorers/minivans with little boxes on the back! You need a Reg or Scab to spell: TRUCK! To each his own.
I agree with Recurve. Scabs look far better than the "squat" looking SCrews. And I've had adult passengers in the back and they were very comfortable. That extra bed space will pay off some day, trust me!!!!

Old 06-14-2005, 12:39 AM
just wait for the 06. they'll have 6.5'' beds as an option on the screws. don't trade it in now or you'll regret it in about 8 months. that's what i'm waiting for!

Old 06-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
If you can get the truck you want now with the same (or a lower) payment that you've currently got, I don't really see the harm. Just be realistic and don't get caught in a deal you can't financially keep.
Totally agree with Quintin, I test drove the scab when i went to buy my truck and new it wasnt for me and the family as soon as i parked it in a parking lot with cars on either side and tried to get the kids out of the back seat.
Later Trev

Old 06-14-2005, 09:39 AM
dlb
Originally Posted by Recurve
Amen!

Quick Reply: should i trade it in or not?