2004 - 2008 F-150

Low-speed backing throttle concerns...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low-speed backing throttle concerns...

Anyone have any trouble with "pinpoint" backing? I'm a contractor, so I need to back close to porches, loading docks, and dumpsters, and it seems like the throttle gets away from me...like I'm doing fine...just a bit more...almost there...then the throttle revs and I have to jam on the brakes to keep from hitting what's behind me...

Would a throttle/PCM reflash help the low-speed stuff? I've heard about guys wanting better full-throttle response for pulling out in front of dump trucks and the like, but how about the low-speed tiny-bits-o'-throttle stuff?

And yes, since I know you want to know, I did hit one dumpster due to the throttle...nothing more embarassing than having people think you don't know how to drive.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Wow, that's a drag. I have to back my truck up about 80 feet every time I drive it, and I have never had any sort of backing problem. I have even nailed it pretty hard (stupid) backing up, and again, no problem.
This is not normal.
Reflash couldn't hurt...
Also, some few trucks had a throttle plate/body problem, I have read.
Good luck
Chris

Old 06-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Nuke...I have an early '04 that has never been reflashed and I experience the same issue in reverse. I cope with it by softly tapping the accel. repeatedly, but it's a PITA.

Actually, I like/prefer the throttle lag in the forward gears as it makes for a very smooth type of driving that I (and many of my passengers) favor. Now, when driving the spouse's Olds, I find the standard throttle response very disconcerting.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:29 PM
I kind of had that problem, however mine was related to the fuel pressure being extremely low...it was accompanied by poor highway performance in the fact it wouldn't really accelerate until I gave it a ton of gas and it downshifted. They didn't reflash my computer that I know of (although I asked them to), but they pinpoint checked a bunch of the connections and found that the fp was very low. Needless to say, when I got it back it was hell of a lot better.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed the same throttle problem with our 05 work trucks.. You have to two foot drive it ,while backing up to connect a trailer, or it will surge. They are for sure different than our old cable throttle trucks.

Ahh the wonders of a computer thinking it knows whats better for you than you do.

Old 06-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Mine does the exact same thing. I have almost crashed into both of my trailers.

Old 06-08-2005, 02:27 PM
I have an early '04 model that has been reflashed and it still 'surges' when I am reversing, it sucks as I too back into a lot of tight spots on construction sites.

Trending Topics

Old 06-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same concern on my '05. I just left foot brake it whilst backing up to trailers. Yes, it is a pain.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks, guys...I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who can't back up without having a crew of guys yelling, "Stay outta his waaay!!!"

"Ahh the wonders of a computer thinking it knows whats better for you than you do."

Makes sense to me....

Quick Reply: Low-speed backing throttle concerns...