2004 - 2008 F-150

airaid or air force one

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 10:59 PM
#LT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airaid or air force one

i've been looking to get an intake system for my 2004 5.4L Supercrew for a few months now, but have waited to see how the air force one performs. it seems like it passes all the test (according to troyerperformance). also this is one of the two systems that will not cause the engine to run lean like some of the other aftermarket intakes (also according to troyerperformance). so what do you guys think, which is a better intake, air force one or airaid? before the air force one came out, it was clear that airaid was the safest and best intake for performance etc. now that the air force one has came out, i've read people recommend this over the airaid. so, what do you think is the better intake?

this is for a 2004 & up intake system

thanks

Old 05-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by #LT
(according to troyerperformance)

(also according to troyerperformance)
I don't care who it is....when someones trying to sell you something you always have to take what they say with a grain of salt.

Old 05-14-2005, 04:55 AM
RamSS/T, how do you like your Airaid intake? I have a 4.6L so I wouldn't be able to enjoy the supposed 20-25 hp increase of the Air Force 1 (their 4.6 intake has the same 14 hp increase as all the rest of the manufacterers it seems). Therefore I'm tempted to lean towards the Airaid to avoid tripping codes and such.

Old 05-14-2005, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by fourpointsix
RamSS/T, how do you like your Airaid intake? I have a 4.6L so I wouldn't be able to enjoy the supposed 20-25 hp increase of the Air Force 1 (their 4.6 intake has the same 14 hp increase as all the rest of the manufacterers it seems). Therefore I'm tempted to lean towards the Airaid to avoid tripping codes and such.
the 4.6 wont matter on what intake you get, i am looking at the FRPP but keep spending my money else where, keep in mind the 4.6 is tried and true from 97

Old 05-14-2005, 09:18 AM
spc
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Volant

Old 05-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Old 05-14-2005, 12:27 PM
I waited for the Air Force One and I must say I’m glad I did. It ROCKS! The low end is unbelievably awesome, way more than I expected from an intake. I definitely can say I feel the extra ponies coming on strong. The butt-dyno doesn’t lie!

I installed mine yesterday afternoon without incident. I got 3 drive cycles on it so far and all is well. It runs quiet at cruising speed but screams power when you jump on it. And as you can see from the pic the tube it is a much straighter shot than the Airaid and the cone filter is larger and also feeds air from the end.

If you install it properly and follow the instructions, you won’t have any problem throwing a code. I think one person has had the CEL problem since they have been shipping and one person had some CEL problems during R&D, but that’s it as far as I’ve heard.

Last edited by jpdadeo; 05-17-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a common problem with internet message boards... a single person or two has a tiny problem and the exposure grows exponentially. On the flip side, the oodles of folks that are running them with zero problems sit idle with little to say...

Well, I'm one of the folks with zero problems. Over 1k miles now with my AF1 and I know I made the right decision. There will be problems with any new product on the market and beyond that, you're seeing a concentration of folks who have purchased from a vendor. Others take great pride in hacking, at any moment or chance they have, on a vendor.

The choice is yours... you can soak up all the negativity or focus on the positive. Both the AirRaid and AF1 are great products. Both produce similar numbers but, it is clear that the AF1 has an edge over the AirRaid. Best of luck to you in your decision and please let us know if we can assist you in your search.

RP

Old 05-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by fourpointsix
I really like my AR....I just installed the updated tube Thursday (I have had it since Jan I guess) and did notice the new tube is actually a hair louder than the original tube. But I guess its better to have the new one to totaly avoid the possiblity of a lean situation....although, I never hada SES light with the old tube on.

Old 05-14-2005, 02:13 PM
spc
True airbox.

Old 05-15-2005, 11:43 PM
I have the airaid and I love it. No codes and 9K miles on it. I had one on my 99 and it was great. I think they are all the same pretty much. The AF1 looks much better then mine, but mine is made of plastic and doesn't transfer heat.

Nice looking intakes guys!

Old 05-16-2005, 07:35 AM
My opinion is people say they are glad they waited to get this one of that one, and yeah, most of the intakes are good. But.....has anyone had both on their truck, the Airaid and the AF1 to do a comparison? There is no basis besides looks of the intake that one can base a comparison on without having both on the truck. So, my question is has anyone had both on their truck and can make a real comparison? (times, butt dyno, etc.) Let us know if you have!

By the way, I love my Airaid, I like the look of the black plastic under the hood better, it seems to fit in better than the chrome intake tube, although the chrome still does look nice!

Old 05-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by roboots21
My opinion is people say they are glad they waited to get this one of that one, and yeah, most of the intakes are good. But.....has anyone had both on their truck, the Airaid and the AF1 to do a comparison? There is no basis besides looks of the intake that one can base a comparison on without having both on the truck. So, my question is has anyone had both on their truck and can make a real comparison? (times, butt dyno, etc.) Let us know if you have!

By the way, I love my Airaid, I like the look of the black plastic under the hood better, it seems to fit in better than the chrome intake tube, although the chrome still does look nice!
The simple answer to that question is yes; someone has had both on the same truck. Troyer ran R&D on the Airaid too before he signed off on it as being safe for the new 04’s. Now he’s done R&D on the AF1 for over a year now, working out the bugs to be sure it’s safe, and most importantly, makes the biggest hp & torque gain of all the aftermarket intakes. IMO that’s what took so long with the R&D, AF1 had to net more hp & torque than Airaid and still be safe.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Suspended
Hows the Volant?

I think this would be the best choice for people who take their trucks offroad.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Hows the Volant?

I think this would be the best choice for people who take their trucks offroad.
That little ram-air thingy Volant has looks like it would scoop up water driving in heavy rain and hitting puddles

Quick Reply: airaid or air force one