2004 - 2008 F-150

Newbie w/ problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie w/ problem

Hello,

First off I wanted to say this is a great site. I have a 05 Screw that is about 3 weeks old. I have had it in for the engine knocking noise, was told this was normal injector noise and I also had it in for the hood flopping around, they also said this was normal because of my Ford bug deflector.

Now my problem, I was just driving home and my truck started to vibrate so bad that my teeth were rattling, I pulled over and my drivers rear brake was hot and smoking. It seems to be sticking. My question is, could the dragging brake be causing my vibration, or do I have two seperate issues? I have booked it in on Thursday at the dealer. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:39 PM
First, welcome to the greatest forum on earth.

Now, have you checked your e-brake? Sounds like this could be your problem. And yes, this can cause the vibration as one rear wheel would be spinning at a faster rate than the other causing a bad vibe.

If it's not the e-brake, then make an appointment with your service dept ASAP.

Hope everything works out for you.

CD

Old 03-22-2005, 06:02 PM
Nope, Ebrake isn't on. I just went out and double checked. It is also just the one back wheel that is getting hot. I hope that this isn't a sign of things to come. I traded in a lemon Sport Trac for this truck hoping my problems would end. I guess I won't drive it till I take it to the dealer on Thursday.

Last edited by cndcowboy; 03-22-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:17 PM
My truck does exactly that and I found it to be the ebrake sticking but the light on the dash not showing it as on, I would take it in and have the stealership operate on the cable.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:35 PM
I don't think it is the Ebrake sticking because there is a pile of brake dust on that caliber and pad, and there isn't on the others. I will update the situation after visiting the dealer on Thursday. I hope the get it fixed because I need a truck for the long weekend.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:43 PM
Exclamation UH OH

At only 3 weeks old? Whoa. Looks like we might have someone hard chargin' right outta the gate after TritonXLT's record. Go man, go....

Old 03-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Poor TritonXLT, always gettin picked on....and ive only been postin for a day now, reading for a week.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I have read the saga of TritonXLT, my ST was like his F150, I had 19 items replaced on it under warranty, some interior trim and more major things like the transfer case, drive shaft, rear axle seals etc. My faith in Ford is getting a little shakey now that this truck is acting up as well. I have also had the F150 lose power going up a hill. I push the accelerator and nothing happens. I have to floor it two or three time before the engine kicks in. I can't replicate this problem and neither can the dealership.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Banned
You guys talking about me in here? :-P I have my truck in the dealership still as of today for a vibration in steering wheel, but not nearly as bad as what your feeling it sounds like. Goodluck with the truck though, and I hope you don't have a problem truck like I have!

Old 03-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Update 1. I took my truck out this morning and it was fine, no problem. I parked and had lunch. After lunch I drove about 3 minutes and the vibrations and the smoking brake on the drivers side were back. This time it was so bad I couldn't even get up to 30MPH, so I pulled over and called Ford Roadside Assisstance. Half an hour later I was at the dealership. They said they will call tomorrow and let me know what they find. I will update when they call me. Just over 500 miles and I already needed a tow.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait I can tell you whats wrong....The cable part that attaches to the rear wheel pops out when the ebrake is released actually leaving the ebrake set. Its not the cable sticking its the ebrake assembly itself.

From what I understand its similar design to what was on the ford festiva.

Just one wheel with a brake sticking will cause the truck to shake so bad it could mix a milkshake.

It takes a bit for the brake to heat up from being stuck and then the viberation starts. Mine was doing this aswell. Ford replaced the ebrake assembly, and rear pads and rotors.

Just a sec and ill go out in the garage and try and get a pic of what I am talking about for you.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok here we go. The part with the spring pulls forward when the ebrake is pressed, pulling the other piece forward which sets the brake. When the ebrake is released the part with the spring jumps off the other piece and leaves it in the set position.

If your truck is still home go out and look and see if the spring piece is attached to the other piece, and make sure they are both as far back towards the rear of the truck as possible and your brake will be released.

I don't know the correct names for the pieces but if you look at this pic then go out and look at yours Im sure you will understand what I am tring to say.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:49 PM
04 RED LARIAT - thank you for the info and the pic. If it happens again I will check that first. It is already sitting at the dealership so I can't check to see if that is the prob now. I hope that this isn't going to be a common occurance.

Old 03-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Well, the dealership service manager called this moring. He wanted to know what exactly was wrong because they drove the truck this morning and it was fine. So I went though the whole story again, now they are going to pull off the wheel and look at it.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Mike99a, you were right, Ebrake cable is sticking on the one side. They just called back and told me. They are giving me my truck back for the weekend and they will fix it on Tuesday when they get parts.

Quick Reply: Newbie w/ problem