Go Back  F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
yes......another tire question. >

yes......another tire question.

2004 - 2008 F-150

yes......another tire question.

 
  #1  
Old 03-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 151
yes......another tire question.

I have the stock 255/70/17 generals and have to get rid of them. I was wondering if the nittos, 265/70/17, are any wider than stock. Thanks.
 
  #2  
Old 03-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,512
Do you know what those tire numbers even mean?

Stock - 255 width
Nittos - 265 width

Wait let me grab my calculator, umm, they are 10 mm wider!


if you don't understand the tire numbers, read this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...nformation.jsp
 

Last edited by SteveVFX4; 03-01-2005 at 04:48 PM.
  #3  
Old 03-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 151
yes, it is wider. your stock one is 10.2" wide and the nitto is 10.79" wide. Pretty much you will never see it.

Here this should help:

Tire sizes are normally listed in 3 numbers, such as 205/55/16.

The first number is simply the width of the tire in mm (205 mm).

The second number is sidewall height as a percentage of the width. For instance, in this case, the sidewall is 55% of 205 mm: 112.75 mm.

The third number is the diameter of the wheel (rim) in inches.
 

Last edited by MRBIG; 03-01-2005 at 04:50 PM.
  #4  
Old 03-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,512
^yeah, and also the tire will be slightly taller than the stock tire: 31.06" stock vs. 31.61" Nitto
 
  #5  
Old 03-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 151
Originally posted by MRBIG
yes, it is wider. your stock one is 10.2" wide and the nitto is 10.79" wide. Pretty much you will never see it.

Here this should help:

Tire sizes are normally listed in 3 numbers, such as 205/55/16.

The first number is simply the width of the tire in mm (205 mm).

The second number is sidewall height as a percentage of the width. For instance, in this case, the sidewall is 55% of 205 mm: 112.75 mm.

The third number is the diameter of the wheel (rim) in inches.
Thanks for the help MRBIG, and thanks for not being an idiot like Steve!
 
  #6  
Old 03-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,512
.
 

Last edited by SteveVFX4; 03-02-2005 at 10:35 AM.
  #7  
Old 03-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,376
ummm....
How many 'tire and wheel' forums do we have here? But it's funny, a day isn't complete until we have at least 2-3 tire threads on this forum every single day. And the sad part is that most of them are identical repeats of the threads from the day before. But I guess people who cannot read yesterday's tire thread need to start today's tire thread- in the wrong forum.
 
  #8  
Old 03-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,017
Uhmmm, I have a question, I bought my wheels and tires and had them installed and they drive great. They are about this big . Now the question, Will they fit?
 
  #9  
Old 03-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 151
Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
ummm....
How many 'tire and wheel' forums do we have here? But it's funny, a day isn't complete until we have at least 2-3 tire threads on this forum every single day. And the sad part is that most of them are identical repeats of the threads from the day before. But I guess people who cannot read yesterday's tire thread need to start today's tire thread- in the wrong forum.
This coming from someone that doesnt know how to lower a rear end, or how it works? Thats funny, thats not hard at all! Dont bark up the wrong tree dumb ***!
 
  #10  
Old 03-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 1,565
Can't we all just get along???
 
  #11  
Old 03-02-2005, 10:25 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 151
Originally posted by SAJEFFC
Can't we all just get along???
Sure we can, just takes a few jackasses to ruin it for everyone! I know of the search feature, but takes too long to search when you can just ask and get it faster.
 
  #12  
Old 03-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,512
I can't see how I was the jackass, I informed you that the tires were 10mm wider, and gave you a website to read about tire number descriptions!

Too lazy to use the search...maybe next time you should use it so you save yourself the embarassment of asking a lame question like is a P265 tire wider than a P255 tire!
 

Last edited by SteveVFX4; 03-02-2005 at 10:37 AM.
  #13  
Old 03-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 151
Originally posted by SteveVFX4
I can't see how I was the jackass, I informed you that the tires were 10mm wider, and gave you a website to read about tire number descriptions!

Too lazy to use the search...maybe next time you should use it so you save yourself the embarassment of asking a lame question like is a P265 tire wider than a P255 tire!
You cant tell that you are being a smart ***? You did give me a helpful link, however, you didnt have to be such a **** about it at the same time.
 
  #14  
Old 03-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 151
Steve,

How would I be embarassed if I asked a question that I needed an answer on? A stupid, or embarassing question if you will, is a question that you dont ask.
 
  #15  
Old 03-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,512
whatever, I'm just have a little fun....ask away but don't forget about the SEARCH feature too...
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: yes......another tire question.


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: