2004 - 2008 F-150

Brake pedal to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Brake pedal to the floor

I had a strange thing happen yesterday... My '04 SuperCrew Lariat had been driven for two hours, then stopped for awhile and driven locally on a short trip. The next time it was driven, I though the brake felt soft/mushy. I went a few blocks to the next stop and it still was soft. While waiting for the light, I kept pressure on the pedal and it eventually went to the floor. The brake light never came on. At the next light, at the suggestion of my passenger, who said "everything" is controlled by a computer on these trucks, I turned the engine off and restarted. After that it was back to normal and has been fine since. We pulled over and checked to ensure the master cylinder was full and also looked for any fluid leaks... everything seems fine. Has anyone else experienced this??

Old 02-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Odd. Its my understanding only the throttle is drive-by-wire. Steering and braking are still mechanical. Strange.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Even if its ok now you might still want to get that checked out. I would hate to have that happen to me in a situation where you HAVE to stop.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Just a couple of months ago, I noticed that I can push my brake pedal all the way to the floor.

When I first got the truck, and for the first 8-9 months or so, it wouldnt go all the way to the floor.

It doesnt concern me though, it still stops great.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:33 PM
I had a simular problem also. Hopped in the truck one morning, was coming up to the first stop and notice the pebal was slowly going to the floor as if it was loosing pressure, but was able to get it to stop. It did that for the entire trip to my office, about 10 miles with no warning lights. I was like WTF! It was the first week I had it! Shut the truck off and took care of business in the office. Came back out an hour later, drove the truck and problem did not reoccure. Have had the truck for 6 months and problem has never reoccure. At least now I don't feel so alone now.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Unhappy

I've had the same issue. I was doing some towing recently and afterward my brake pedal felt like a marshmellow. I'm having it checked along with my check engine light problem. I'll keep you guys posted if I get a fix for it.

Old 03-01-2005, 09:23 AM
I asked my Ford dealer and they said that I could have brought the truck in and they could have ran diags on it, but probably woud not have found anything since it was not happening at that time. I asked if it was ok to drive and he said that it should be but it was up to me if I wanted to bring it in. I thought I didn't want to be with out my truck and they find nothing wrong, so I decided to drive it and so far so good. Hopefully Snake75 your Ford dealer has heard of this problem and they have answer this time.

Old 03-01-2005, 09:30 AM
There was a post a few months back on the "other" 150 online site about this.It has something to do with the anti-lock brakes sensors giving a false reading to the computer.These trucks the pedal went to the floor while trying to stop.Very scary.Maybe Quinten can find more info.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Mine did the same thing a few months ago. I took it to the dealer and they found nothing. Said they drove it around and could not duplicate the problem. It hasnt done it since.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Mine did the exact same thing within the first few weeks I had it.
Took it back to the dealer, nothing found. Since then, no problems. It is quite scary though.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:46 AM
have you exposed your truck to bright light, gotten it wet, or let it eat after midnight?

definate

Old 03-01-2005, 12:00 PM
I work with a guy who owns an 03 Expy, he had that same problem, the Ford service dept. never did find out the cause.
Has not happened to him in a while.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Maybe for some reason the vacuum boost valve bled down. That's kind of what it sounds like to me. Just a wild guess.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Knowing others have had the same issue gives makes me feel a little better. If it does it again I'll try to head straight to the dealer without shutting the truck down since that seems to cure it. Otherwise I doubt they would do anything without replicating the problem.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:03 PM
brakes

everyone needs to pay close attention to their brakes, the ones on my 04 supercab went out, and unfortunately i did hit someone. Ford denies theres a known problem, but my insurance agent says its becoming common.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal to the floor