2004 - 2008 F-150

Bug Shields

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bug Shields

I went to Cabela's today to find some stuff for both the truck and my boat. I figured they would have some cool bug shields for my FX4. All they had in stock was the smoked low profile Cabela's brand one.

Do any of you have bug shields that you would recommend? I would like to know how long you've had it, and how it's holding up. After seeing the Cabela's one, I almost think I won't bother with one at all unless one of you has a great testimony about some brand.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Ford low profile and had it for a year, no problem. There are some Lund bug shields, that I have seen advertised at Cabela's. They didn't have those? If not there I am sure other would have them. There are other brands also, but I am not familiar with them.

Old 02-26-2005, 09:01 PM
I went with the one from Ford and like it fine. No vibration or noise. You do have to take the grill off, though.

Old 02-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Ford low profile - I kinda like the F-150 logo on it - no hood shake, no probs... Easy install, didn't take the grill off, just loosened it a bit.

Last edited by SlapPaddle; 02-26-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 for the Ford low-profile shield

You do have to remove the grill to install it, and it's held on the edges by little clips that slide onto the hood after you put down a piece of adhesive plastic to protect the finish. But I like it, no wind noise, I got a little bit of hood flutter at 80-90 mph that I haven't got around to fixing yet, and it looks good.

Old 02-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quintin, I had the hood flutter too, and pretty bad. I fixed it by adjusting the bumpers and then the hood latch itself. Later Ford put out a TSB for it to do basically that, adjust the hood. One thing, if you adjust the latch, tighten the bolts real well. I thought I ha mine good and tight, next thing I knew the front of the hood was moving up and down a bit. The latch had moved a bit.
I agree you really don't have to remove the grill, just loosen it it up. Makes it a good bit easier to not take it off and try to align the grill and shield when you are putting it back on.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:18 PM
I also have the Ford low profile (they offer two styles). I've been very happy with it. Just last week I was behind a truck as it ran over a fresh pothole repair (for some reason CT covers the mix with a load of stones) Well, it starting raining stones for about 4 seconds. It sounded like 100 stones hit the truck in 4 seconds.

When I got back to work, I checked out the bug shield and it only had a few small chips and the windshield had a few skid marks of tar, up high, near the roof line.

Bug shields are well worth the money.

I have some pics in my gallery.

Trending Topics

Old 02-26-2005, 10:25 PM
I have the lund low profile and am VERY happy with it. It is on strong and doesn't have wind noise or any hood shake. I have taken my truck to an automatic car wash with the SUPER blowers and they don't bother it either. The one on my rodeo looked like it was going to fly off when under the same blowers ( I had to shut my eyes during it).

I am putting some new picks in my gallery check it out.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: +1 for the Ford low-profile shield

Originally posted by Quintin
You do have to remove the grill to install it, and it's held on the edges by little clips that slide onto the hood after you put down a piece of adhesive plastic to protect the finish.
I didn't take my grille off to install mine. I just loosened the bolts. Took me about 20-30 minutes to install.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by MRILEY
I also have the Ford low profile ...... I have some pics in my gallery.
I like the one you have. How much was it?

Old 02-27-2005, 08:29 AM
I have the AVS brand( from Pep Boys) for a year and think it's perfect. I HAD hood flutter at 80mph +, but thanks to Quintin that was an easy 10 min fix. I believe Lund now owns AVS(or vice-versa) and I THINK Ford buys theirs from Lund, so I would guess they are all the same(unless someone knows otherwise?)

Old 02-27-2005, 08:37 AM
1969Mach. I think it was about $65 from a Ford dealership in my area. If you go with Ford's, then double check to make sure they are giving you the low profile. Some times the person behind the counter doesn't realize there are two models. The same goes for their mud guards but that's for another thread....

Old 02-27-2005, 10:38 AM
Banned
I have the Fords High profile Bug gaurd. I love the looks and love the f-150 logo on it in silver! I do get a little bit of wind noise, I don't know if it's coming from my bug guard or my window guards. It's okay though, I'll sacrifice some wind noise to have some good looks!

Old 02-27-2005, 12:50 PM
I also have the Ford low profile smoked shield, easy to install and no problems.

Old 02-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Ford low profile. Installed by the dealer at pickup. It has held up very well except in golfball size hail. Although my roof, hood and left side of the truck didn't hold up well either.

The bug shield broke on the right side, right at the mount. A little Elmers Ultimate Glue and about 8 hours to dry and you wouldn't even know it was broken.

Quick Reply: Bug Shields