2004 - 2008 F-150

2004 F150 Supercab 4.6L First Impression

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F150 Supercab 4.6L First Impression

I just got this, and thought I would post first impressions. I've only ever owned one truck, so this might be concentrating on areas that truck enthusiasts look over I had to trade in my trusty old Chevy s10, which I loved to bits (my first "truck'). This is my first Ford truck.

Originally I was not going with the Ford, but with the hefty 2004 rebates ($4500) and the dealer selling at invoice it was a good deal. That put it in competition with the Ford Ranger, which I had originally gone to test drive (the jump seats in the back of the ranger are terrible).

The 4.6L is pretty responsive. It gets you where you are going, and seems to be capable enough. I don't tow, and I do light duty work in my truck, so the 4.6 should meet my needs.

The handling is superb. The truck is very responsive - very much like some good front wheel drive cars. The truck turns very well, with a decent radius (esp. for its size). The truck is enormous! My 6 year old has to climb his way out (no running boards - I need to add some). The interior is well fitted, and feels solid. I was disappointed the basic CD package did not include bass/treble, but it has something mysterious called Compress On/Off.

The back seat is pretty comfortable, but I doubt this truck could hold 6 adults for any length of time (well I'm sure the truck would, it's the adult mutiny that would bother me). It works fine with the wife and the two kids. For road trips, we would take the Nissan Quest.

My Wife really likes the perimeter lighting system. (When you unlock the truck with the remote, the headlights and the bed light come on, illuminating the area all around the truck. Out in the county, and in dark parking lots, she likes this feature).

I like the odd little things. I like the auto lights. I like the speed sensitive wipers (no more fiddling to get the right speed). I like the big cruise controls buttons on the steering wheel (and thanks god, don't put them on the multi function stick like Chevy did). The placement of cup holders (esp the retractable ones on the console), is good. It seems a lot of thought has gone into the ergonomics, functionality, and general fit of the interior. The keyless entry is neat, having two "third doors" is great.

The idle seems a little rough, but I guess this is a truck and not a Cadillac. Reversing in the dark is tricky due to what I perceive as poor lighting in the back.

I've put 200 hundred on it. I'll post more when I drive it a little more

Old 02-14-2005, 01:13 AM
Hi Dewi!

I also switch from a 97 S10 to the 2004 FX4 LOBO both of them since new.

I understand your feelengs, the diference is notorius! The first time I drove in the dealership I was surprised about the big size! it's all big!

The power is impresive (my S10 was 4 cyl) and very comfortable. I barely drive the S10 after bought my LOBO by the way I just sold my S10 1 month ago.

Congratulations for your new ride!

Old 02-14-2005, 07:50 AM
Dewi,

The basic CD package does include bass/treble. It's in the Menu System, not a separate control ****.

John

Old 02-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a nice truck Dewi congratulations. Post some pics when you get a chance.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:51 AM
speed what?

I like the speed sensitive wipers (no more fiddling to get the right speed).

What trim level of truck do you have? I've never heard of this on a F150?

Chris

Old 02-14-2005, 12:18 PM
As stated in many other posts, the 4.6 is no speed demon.
I have towed our 8 x 14 Zieman trailer with 2 quads and 2 dirtbikes on it with no problems.
Even with that weight, the rear bed barely comes down.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Banned
I like my 4.6L in my truck. It will get you going pretty good when you need it to, but like someone here said, it's no speed deman. Although, it is faster then the Mercury Sable I used to own before this truck, so thats a plus for me.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: speed what?

Originally posted by sweetsc
What trim level of truck do you have? I've never heard of this on a F150?Chris
It's on my XLT

Old 02-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Re: 2004 F150 Supercab 4.6L First Impression

Originally posted by Dewi
I like the speed sensitive wipers (no more fiddling to get the right speed).

Damn, I just keep learning of more and more things my truck doesnt have!

(Note to self: Don't buy XL next time)

Old 02-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Do xlt's have the speed sensitive wipers. Maybe I have never noticed that feature before.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by johnboy2
Dewi,

The basic CD package does include bass/treble. It's in the Menu System, not a separate control ****.

John
Hey so it does! Great. That's very cool.

I have the XLT trim package.

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 Supercab 4.6L First Impression