2004 - 2008 F-150

Aftermarket air filters=no warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket air filters=no warranty?

Can somebody PLEASE give me a definate answer to this! My search didn't give me the answer I was looking for. Will the K&N or any of the aftermarket air filters and air kits hurt my warranty?

If I install one of these things and something happens to the engine, Ford could technically say that because I used a non warranty approved filter that the warranty is void. I would like to avoid such a thing!

Help!

Old 01-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Suspended
Well thats why you'd throw back your stock set-up back on if you wanted to.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by ThumperMX113
Well thats why you'd throw back your stock set-up back on if you wanted to.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 01-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Not the answer I wanted. Anybody else have a valid opinion.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:58 PM
No I don't think Ford would mind if you decieded to up blow their engine's because you wanted 5 horsepower out of a air filter. It's kind of like power braking, they replace my transmission every week because of powerbraking and they have never said a word to me!! ANY OTHER QUESTIONS.

Old 01-22-2005, 01:03 PM
I asked a simple question and I'm getting nothing but stupid answers and hostility!!

Sorry I asked guys, won't happen again!!

Old 01-22-2005, 01:10 PM
MY BAD, just trying to do something until 2:00, i'll be out of here in 50 minutes.

Old 01-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Smile

Hey Tbird69,
It is totally dealer dependent. I talked to my dealer about it and they were fine with still covering anything that may happen. Some dealers sell new vehicles that they have lifted themselves and will cover it no problem and others won't touch your ride after you've installed your own lift.

Long winded answer, but hope it helps.

Old 01-22-2005, 01:13 PM
like stated, depends on the dealer. My dealer doesnt care about any type of bolt ons, etc.

Its the power adders like nitrous and boosted aplications they start going "ehhhh"

Old 01-22-2005, 01:15 PM
my dealer won't allow any engine modifacation's besides exhaust. (SUCK'S TO BE ME I GUESS)

Old 01-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Well I'll give this a shot...

I have a K&N air filter, brought it in the the dealer for an oil change. I put the sticker that comes with the filter on the housing, mechanic saw this and didn't make any mention about it voiding anything.

These filters aren't new, I had them on several of my vehicles and never had any cause for concern. Fram makes something call the Air Hog which appears to be a knock off of a K&N. They seem to be popular and I doubt the Manufacturers would keep putting them out there if they voided warranties or damaged engines.

Now having said that, I can't say for sure if the warranty would be voided if there was engine damage done due to the filter. I did however save my stock filter.

Old 01-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by chemgod
Hey Tbird69,
It is totally dealer dependent. I talked to my dealer about it and they were fine with still covering anything that may happen. Some dealers sell new vehicles that they have lifted themselves and will cover it no problem and others won't touch your ride after you've installed your own lift.

Long winded answer, but hope it helps.
The dealer dependant answer is crap. Ford can void a warranty if they feel like it. The ford warranty does not cover damaged cause by an air intake system other than what ford designed. You can use a different filter than what ford put in the car, but damage from that filter would not be covered under warranty. If your dealer is "mod friendly" today, they may not be tomorrow or what happens if you move?
You bought a ford truck warrantied by ford motor company not warrantied by joe blow dealer.

Old 01-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by killedbyaspoon
my dealer won't allow any engine modifacation's besides exhaust. (SUCK'S TO BE ME I GUESS)
Just find another dealer.

Old 01-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by easterisland
The dealer dependant answer is crap. Ford can void a warranty if they feel like it. The ford warranty does not cover damaged cause by an air intake system other than what ford designed. You can use a different filter than what ford put in the car, but damage from that filter would not be covered under warranty. If your dealer is "mod friendly" today, they may not be tomorrow or what happens if you move?
You bought a ford truck warrantied by ford motor company not warrantied by joe blow dealer.
Dealers will over look mods. I have had friends with bolt on mustangs have engines and transmission replaced without any hesitation. One has even had his trany replaced 3 times and rear end once.

Old 01-22-2005, 02:26 PM
That's the kind of stuff I was looking for! Thanks guys. I guess it really just comes down to whether or not Ford will cover the damage if any.

I doubt anything will happen, but I just thought I'd ask anyway. Since I really wasn't sure.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket air filters=no warranty?