2004 - 2008 F-150

Issue with Airaid install

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue with Airaid install

Just installed my Airaid intake kit and LOVE it. Truck has a nice growl when you get on the throttle. Very cool!

But when I close the hood, I notice that the driver's side doesn't close fully and is about a quarter inch above the drivers side fender. Passenger side is normal.

Anyone have issues with their air dam and associated weather stripping being too tall?

Old 01-18-2005, 06:16 PM
No issues with mine. Don't know that it would make a difference but make sure the rubber gasket is pushed all the way down on the filter housing.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:18 PM
No issues with mine. Don't know that it would make a difference but make sure the rubber gasket is pushed all the way down on the filter housing.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:53 PM
No issue with my install, as a matter of fact I raised mine slightly to ensure a tight seal on the TB. You might want to double check the Cold Air Dam install that you're down flush! Let us know what you find.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Talking Make me Number 4

I agree with above and have no issue with mine either.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Talking Make mine number 4

I agree with above and have no issue with mine either.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:55 PM
I did a little tinkering and have some info to add....

At lunch, just for the heck of it, I decided to remove the weather stripping completely and shut the hood. It closes perfectly. I thought I'd give Airaid a call when I got back to work.

I immediately felt a difference when I started driving without the stripping in place. Even at very low throttle, I can hear and feel the air dam vibrating. And at normal acceleration, I can feel the vibration in my feet at the floorboard. It's pretty annoying. I've heard remarks about this vibration from other Airaid users. It sounds like their stripping wasn't making full contact with the hood. Apparently, its not just for keeping debris and hot air away from the filter - it also dampens the vibration of the airdam.

Also, my weather stripping is different than most I've seen pictures of. My stripping is a flat piece of rubber that should flex when the hood comes down on it. But most pics I've seen are of a tubular-type stripping that gets squashed as the hood closes. Is mine new for '05? Is one better than the other?

Hmmm...I'm calling Airaid now to see if I can get some answers. I'll report back!

Trending Topics

Old 01-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Airraid Vibration
I also noticed a noise after I installed the Airraid cold air induction system. I know everything will vibrate at a certain frequency when attached to an engine. The air box is typical. I added a small wedge of styrofoam between the bottom of the airbox and the inner fender. It absorbs the resonance at any RPM and is tucked just out of sight. By the way, I ordered my Airraid right after the 2004 F-150 came out. It repeatedly tripped the check engine light, mostly in colder weather. I called the Airraid company and told them about what was happening. They were very helpful. A newer revised design was available. They sent it to me in five days, no questions asked. I said don't you need to know where I purschased it? They replied, If you weren't having some sort of problem with our product, why would you be calling us? Hmmm, Thanks guys, have a nice day!
Hoss

Old 01-19-2005, 08:50 PM
I have it installed on my '05 and works great. I would take off the box and make sure it's installed correctly.

Quick Reply: Issue with Airaid install