2004 - 2008 F-150

Tire Chains suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Chains suggestion

I'd love to hear your suggestions on what tire chains I should purchase. My '04 Screw 4x4 has the 17" rims with the 255 size General tires. We're planning to drive from PDX to SLC for Christmas and a couple of the passes in between may require chains if the weather is nasty. Because I've never attempted to put on chains, I'd like to get a set that allows you to put them on without having to move the truck around too much.

Thank you in advance!

Old 11-26-2004, 12:13 AM
In all honesty I dont think you will need the chains. I have the same tires on my rig, and although they aren't the greatest in snow/ice (with an empty bed ~ I usually have about 6 bags of softener salt in mine for more traction) If you dont want to have anything in the bed you could always throw it into 4 wheel drive when things get ugly

Old 11-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Rumor has it that the pass outside of Pendleton OR will close in bad weather and the authorities will only allow chained vehicles through.

Old 11-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Not a rumor Nitzer,
I cant tell you how many times that hill "Cabbage Hill"has been shut down because of some nimrod trying the hill without chains on and gets sideways thereby causing a huge backup blocking all access to get towed out, and then NOBODY can get started moving again because they have stopped on a steep grade. expect a big ticket if they catch you going over any pass without chains on when the readerboard says "CHAINS REQUIRED" And it doesnt matter if you have a Mondo 4x4 with huge studded tires on or not you still get ticketed.

besides all that check with a LesSchwab Tire store there as they have the Type 'S' requirement chains as explained in your owners manual for space requirements and are a cinch to install,
see this link:
http://www.tirechain.com/DIAMONDSTYLECARCHAINS.htm

Last edited by yob2kanobe; 11-26-2004 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the info and heads up, yob2kanobe. Sweet ride!

Old 01-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by yob2kanobe
Not a rumor Nitzer,
I cant tell you how many times that hill "Cabbage Hill"has been shut down because of some nimrod trying the hill without chains on and gets sideways thereby causing a huge backup blocking all access to get towed out, and then NOBODY can get started moving again because they have stopped on a steep grade. expect a big ticket if they catch you going over any pass without chains on when the readerboard says "CHAINS REQUIRED" And it doesnt matter if you have a Mondo 4x4 with huge studded tires on or not you still get ticketed.

besides all that check with a LesSchwab Tire store there as they have the Type 'S' requirement chains as explained in your owners manual for space requirements and are a cinch to install,
see this link:
http://www.tirechain.com/DIAMONDSTYLECARCHAINS.htm

Hey, thanks for the tip. This saved my butt. Great place.....busy tho. No worries about my Tahoe trip tomorrow now.

Quick Reply: Tire Chains suggestion