2004 - 2008 F-150

I need to take advantage of the d-plan and need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to take advantage of the d-plan and need advice!

So my dad works for a Ford dealer and I get the dealer plan which is terrific. The problem is that I don't know what the best thing is for me to do. The dealer plan I've been told will get me a price about a thousand bucks under invoice for which ever truck I pick out.

I've been wanting for ever to have a supercrew black on black leather interior with the captain's chairs. I can't decide whether to go with the FX4 or a Lariat. If option them both out the same on the Ford site the Lariat is about 2 grand less. The FX4 has a nicer overall appearance with regards to the interior. I like the gauge cluster better, and a few other trim pieces but I don't know if all that is worth the money. Do I need a sunroof?

I will be trading in my 99 cobra that has 85,000 miles on it and I've been told I will get only about 7k value from it, which sucks ***.

So my biggest question is what do I need to look for in picking up a Supercrew? Is the FX4 really worth it or is it just the skid plates and the different gauges and speaker covers?

I'm also conflicted as to whether to buy a 04 or 05. I will save more with the 04 because of the rebate but the truck is already one year old so it really equals out. Any suggestions.

I'm going to be needing a 6" lift and 18" bullet holes and 35's for the wheels and tires. What is a rough estimate as to the cost of that. I also need to know where and how much a black billet grill will be.

Old 11-23-2004, 04:09 PM
I too wrestled with this dilemma. My first wish was an FX4 SCrew. I am buying on A Plan, so I figured why not go all out? But then I realized that the SCrew ended up being 2 grand more for about 6 inches in cab space and proper doors. It's just me and my GF, so I ruled the SCrew out. So between the Lariat and FX4 SCab, I went FX4. I liked the interior a lot more on it than the Lariat. I also didn't care for the leather seats. All in all, I'm happy with my choice. And for the record, you NEED the moonroof. Trust me, you won't regret having it, unless you don't like the sun or don't get it in Utah as much as you do snow.

Old 11-23-2004, 04:21 PM
having just read ur post once i get the impression money isnt an object for you. You dont have the truck yet and your talking about 2500 in mods. If your putting a 6" lift and a 35's i assume your going to be offroading it get the fx4. A little beefier in the suspension. I personally dont care for a moon/sunroof. The sun shines down at such an angle even with the tint and annoys the *****e outta me. Poor insulation on cold nites too. I always close my gf's on her gtp. Also doom brings up an interesting point, do you NEED those other 2 doors? If you just like the way they look thats cool i guess but is it worth the extra money that you could use for that lift,rims,tires and programmer when you find out the truck isnt peppy enough for you.

Last edited by vvyk3d; 11-23-2004 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:03 PM
why not sell the cobra privately? You should surely be able to get a lot better than trade value on it; the difference in trade vs. private sale can pay for a lot of mods...

Old 11-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Yeah sell it private if your in no rush to buy.

Old 11-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Well I typed this big long story about my last truck so.....

I won't do it again.

Sell it privately you should make out a lot better.

Get what you want, you are asking so you probably don't want it.

Are you going to do alot of off roading (FX4) or just some towing and looks (Lariat). I have kids so 4 doors was a must though they are farther away for the reach around smack
(just kidding, I pull over )

Good luck can't wait to hear about the new truck.

Old 11-23-2004, 07:39 PM
The FX4 comes standard as a 4x4 and the 4x4 is a option on the lariet. Pricing out a almost fully loaded FX4 came in a 40.5K and similar equiped Lariet was 41K. However, there are a few things that are included in the laret package that are not available on the FX4 such as Automatic Climate control, Steering wheel controls for the radio and Climate Control system.

In addition, there are some option that are available on hte lariet that are not available on the FX4 such as, Heated Sears, homelink, ect.

Depending on you needs / wants you will need to address the option differences versus the different package looks. I look at both with Z-plan pricing and decided on the FX4 due to color availability, front grill, Dash, and interior trim in carbon fiber vs the woodgrain. Since the FX4 is not available wiht heated seats and I leave in the North Country, I decided to go wiht the cloth caption chairs.

Its all a matter of preferences

Old 11-23-2004, 09:10 PM
I think no matter which truck you pick you can’t go wrong. They are almost identical, anyways, with a few minor options being standard on the Lariat.

My only advice is to get everything that you want.

I was looking for a new truck in April and bought a new mustang instead, mostly because of $$$ Needless to say I was very unhappy for sometime, until I bought my Screw Lariat in Oct

Old 11-24-2004, 06:55 AM
Can't believe I didn't think of this earlier--Buy both! It's only money...

Old 11-24-2004, 07:03 AM
Cobra...like everyone has said, it's all a matter of preference. Most likely you're going to be driving the truck for a few years or so, so get the one that you're going to be most happy with. Really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
But, I love my FX4 and would highly reccommend

Inbred...i like the new sig...

Last edited by jhogan; 11-24-2004 at 07:09 AM.

Quick Reply: I need to take advantage of the d-plan and need advice!