2004 - 2008 F-150

Linex Bumpers, Rails, Flares

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Linex Bumpers, Rails, Flares

I was thinking maybe next spring of having the chrome bumpers, fender flares and maybe the lower rocker panels Linex similar to SkidzTonka. Has anyone here thought about doing this or have done it? I am wondering how it holds up and how easy it is to maintain. I think on the black truck it would give a very aggressive look and provide a good amount of increased protection. Of course this would eliminate all the chrome from the truck But it might look good.
Anyone have any thoughts about this? Any idea on cost?

Old 11-18-2004, 08:26 AM
Gross. Don't do it!

Old 11-18-2004, 08:41 AM
I would guess you can spray that stuff on just about anything. I saw a guy that had a camper shell done with Line-X and it looked aweful. It is great stuff for lining the bed with (I have it on my 04 Scab and love it), but I personally would not want to cover my chrome with it.

Besides, there is nothing cooler looking than a jet black truck with just the right amount of chrome!

Old 11-18-2004, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I agree. But at some point when the bumpers are worn and the truck is getting more and more offroad experience, I think its inevitable just to keep it together. For now I do like the chrome though.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:42 AM
I might do the lower rocker panels but I wouldn't do the bumpers or the fender flares. When I was getting the bed line-xed they had an older Dodge that they had just done the rocker panels on and it looked pretty good, but that was black line-x on a red truck. The other thing to worry about is when that line-x fades or gets really dirty, its a lot harder to clean up nice, requires lots of scrubbing to get rid of dirt/ soap films.

Old 11-18-2004, 10:34 AM
I don't see a problem. I think it might even look pretty good.

There's supposed to be a Wal-Mart Exec who has a Hummer (the real one, not an H2) that is completely covered in black Linex (or Rhino or something). I've been told that it looks good, but I haven't seen it, so I can't say for sure.

I also know a guy who had a late 40's Chevy truck completely restored. He painted the truck silver, but the steps, bumpers and grill were a darker metallic gray Linex (or Rhino or something)... The texture wasn't real heavy, and I've been told that you can have them apply quite smooth if that's what you want.

Old 11-18-2004, 11:33 AM
I think its something I would have to see in person before ever making a decision.

Old 11-18-2004, 11:56 AM
I was going to go with the dark blue 8" up on my rocker panels all the way back. My tires like to through rocks against the underside of the truck.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:50 PM
I got my tint done yesterday at the Line-X place that I used back in December.

They had a Line-X'd tool box, brush guard, bull bar, steps, etc. on display. It looked pretty cool, but I think you'd have to have the right truck to put it on. I don't think it's something that you could do 1/2 and 1/2 (chrome running boards and Line-X'd brush guard, etc).

There has got to be a place up there that has experimented with something like that.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:09 PM
I understand what you mean. If I did do it I would pull off/cover all the chrome including the step bars. I would probably replace them with a set of Nfabs. I plan on putting on a Fabtech Desert Gaurd in black that I think would be pretty nice if Line-x'ed.
I think it would look best if the bumpers and rocker panels were done. I keep looking at it and dont think you could do the rockers without the bumpers. I will see how the rockers hold up for now but if they start to get messed up, thats the way to go. Again I would have to see it first. I guess it would look like an FX4 with the painted bumpers.

Old 11-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Here's a pic of a guy that has modded the H3LL out of his Liberty. You kind of get the idea of how it would look:

Old 11-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not a big fan of it on bumpers or body panels. It looks good on nerf bars and grill guards and such. To each his own. I don't think it looks terrible, just not something I'm a fan of.

Old 11-18-2004, 06:59 PM
I personally like the look of Line-Xed bumpers and rocker panels. I sold my fully restored/modified '68 bronco for my FX4, and I had the rocker panels, quarter panels and entire interior of the tub lined. Loved it. Also a good friend of mine had his bumpers, and tub lined with Line X on his '74 bronco. Looked awesome and held up reasonably well to the rocks of Moab.

Quick Reply: Linex Bumpers, Rails, Flares