2004 - 2008 F-150

Audio Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio Install Questions

I was going to post this in the audio section, but it doesn’t get much traffic so I’m trying it here.

I'm putting my audio system in this weekend and I have a few questions before I get started. First, here's what’s going in: Alpine CDA-9827 HU (already installed), Alpine MRV-F340 55W x 4 Amp, Infinity Reference 6800CS components for the front, Infinity Kappa 572.5cf for the rears, .5 Farad Audiobahn Cap with Digital display connected to a MTX Audio Thunder311D mono sub amp to push a 10" MTX Audio Thunder8000 DVC sub in a sealed SuperCrewSound Sub Box. (Which I have yet to receive, and can't get a hold of anyone there ) I’m using Rockford Fosgate RCA cables and terminal connectors, along with their Riot-Gamma Geometry speaker wire and Dynomat Xtreme speaker kits for the doors.

I have figured out that the Alpine amp is going to have to go where the jack was and the MTX amp is going to fit under the passenger seat on some spacers I’m going to make to clear the air vent. But I have a question about the capacitor, it’s didn’t say anywhere in the owners manual if it had to be mounted vertically. I can lay it down either next to the alpine amp or under the passengers seat, but I wanted to make sure it didn’t have to sit upright.

Second question is about fishing wires to the rear door speakers. The fronts don’t look like they will be too much of a problem, but I can’t figure out what I need to do for the rears. If anyone has any tips I’d really appreciate it.

Any other tips would be appreciated. I plan on pulling all the seats and center console to run the wires, will I need any special tools besides the Torx tools? I have a panel remover already.

Thanks for any help. I’ll try and take some pics during the install.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Hey Brent,

As to your first question - why do you need a capacitor in the first place? I will have basically the same set up as you and I will not get one. I see no need for it.

As to your second question - fishing the wires throught the back doors. I took off the entire door panel and stuck a wire coat hanger through the rubber part that goes from the cab of the truck to the doors attached the speaker wire to it with tape and pulled it through. It took a bit of time but I found it was alot easier than the fronts.

As for tools - I just found that I needed to get the bit to take the seats out. The rest is basic tools and careful prying of peices off.

Your set up is almost the same as mine. I have the Alpine 9830 deck, the f340 amp, alpine components up front, will be getting alpine 5x7 for the rears and will be getting an alpine d class amp and the JL stealth box once it come out.

Good luck with your install - Thats half the fun of stereos.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the advice about the rear doors. One more question, did you have to remove the trim piece that the seatbelt goes into in order to get to the cab-side of the boot? I saw one bolt on the very top of it. I assume I remove that and then just pop the clips off to gain access?

Also, I know all the debate about the capaciators, wether they work or not, but I was able to get a .5 farad with digital display for less than 50 bucks so I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to install it. I know it's not necessary, but it does kinda have a "coolness" factor to it. Plus a digital readout of your charging system voltage is pretty cool too.

Old 11-05-2004, 01:35 PM
That's great about the capacitor. Hey if you got it cheap and it looks cool, then hey, go for it.

As for the seat belt trim, I did not remove it at all. I just pulled it away so I could get the wire and coathanger through, but if it easier for you to take it off (which it probably is to do) then I would. I just did not have the time or inclination to do it

Old 11-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Dont bother taking that trim piece off. Its a pain to get off and after I fought with it for a few minutes I just ran the wires and found I didnt need to tae it off. Like 2004 said, run a coat hanger thru the rubber boot and push it downinto the cab and it will come out either behind the seat or at the floor where you pull the rocker trim off. Pull the rubber boots out of the door and the cab, it makes it easier to get the wiree thru. Check out my gallery, it has a few pics of the door panels off and my speakers installed. Not sure if you have crossovers for the rears, but my alpines do and I was able to wire tie them right to a wire bundle in the cab right at the rubber boot. You will see the wire bundle when you pull the boot off. Good luck, hope all goes well for ya. It should be pretty easy.

Quick Reply: Audio Install Questions