2004 - 2008 F-150

Custom CAN Flasher has been released

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom CAN Flasher has been released

I'm posting this link for those of you who don't regularly scan the Computer Chips forum:

New custom CAN Flasher for new F-150's released

Old 10-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Old 10-25-2004, 10:45 PM
So now the real question....
CAN or 1714?

Old 10-26-2004, 07:49 AM
Exactly...

Old 10-26-2004, 08:13 AM
CAN, duh... Unless you really want a code scanner and pretty screen to look at. Then get the 1714. What do you want?! More power, flexibility, and faster loads or a silly code scanner?!

Old 10-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Ya but it sure would be nice to go back to stock if a warrenty issue comes up.... duh

Old 10-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Guess I should word it better for ya D. What are the pros and cons of each, how is one better than the other (8hp?..and?)
I am just another person who doesnt understand the difference between the two. It sounds as though the CAN is more for heavy modded vehicles (i.e. NOS, SC, etc)

Old 10-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by kanter
Ya but it sure would be nice to go back to stock if a warrenty issue comes up.... duh

Did you not read this?:
The XCalibrator has most of the same features that Superchips Micro Tuners are known for - room for up to 3 different custom programs PLUS the ability to store your original stock factory tune, so you can return back to stock at any time
It's a 4 bank programmer like the 9100s....it stores 3 custom tunes and your stock tune.

~John

Old 10-26-2004, 11:25 AM
So by looking at this, the CAN + 1714 is equal to the u7151, but even better with the diablo you can change the settings yourself if you need. So if you wanted to tune your vehicle on the dyno it would just be a whole bunch of emailing to the "right" tune? Because you couldnt change these settings at the same time?

: i already own the u7151

Old 10-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by EddyG88
Guess I should word it better for ya D. What are the pros and cons of each, how is one better than the other (8hp?..and?)
I am just another person who doesnt understand the difference between the two. It sounds as though the CAN is more for heavy modded vehicles (i.e. NOS, SC, etc)
EddyG,
Here is my interpretation of these 2 products:
The 1714 is more of an "off the shelf" product that is designed to be safe for a wide range of vehicles and PCM programs and provides three popular programs. A nice feature of the 1714 is that you can manage some of the characteristics such as upshift points and shift firmness. The other nice thing about it is you can use it on (or sell it to someone who has) other 2004 F-series trucks and SUV's.
The Custom Tuner gets programmed specifically to match up with your vehicle and it's PCM code, which may allow the tuner to free up some more power, while maintaining a safe tune. It also allows the tuner to create 3 tunes that fit your wants/needs. For instance, I think that in the past year, 1 of the tunes Mike T. was offering with the 9100 was specifically designed to realize optimal fuel mileage (as opposed to power). You might not want a towing program as 1 of your 3 non-stock programs, so why not get something else?
Finally, as you referred to in your post, some trucks that are heavily modded have no choice but to get a custom tune because it wouldn't be safe to try to run a generic tuner.

Both are great products. The 1714 has a lot to offer, including flexibility to make adjustments and use on other vehicles (not to mention the diagnostic tools). The custom flasher allows the tuner to give you a program that fits exactly what you want (if different from the 1714 programs). It's also nice that you can get updates via email for the custom flasher if you decide to mod later on.

It's an individual choice. I think that the custom tuning is more cutting edge. There have been a bunch of positive testmonials from other members in the Computer Chips forum who had the 1715 programmer then bought the 9100 custom programmer.

If you are not sure what you want to do, you (and anyone else trying to decide) should call Troyer Performance and tell them how your truck is set up and ask what they can offer in the new "XCalibrator" for you to see if it sounds like it is worth the cost compared to the 1714.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the other thing that you can do with the custom program is you can datalog (either at a dyno or using a hardware/software package) your truck's information so that the tuner can adjust the tunes for optimal performance.

Last edited by JohnAndDar; 10-26-2004 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by asinatra
So by looking at this, the CAN + 1714 is equal to the u7151, but even better with the diablo you can change the settings yourself if you need. So if you wanted to tune your vehicle on the dyno it would just be a whole bunch of emailing to the "right" tune? Because you couldnt change these settings at the same time?

: i already own the u7151
asinatra,
How do you like the Diablo Predator for your '04 F150? I confess that I don't know that much about them. I just checked out some information on them at Motorhaven.com. It does look like they come with more adjustment flexibility than the Superchips programmers...what looks really interesing is the "data-logging" capabilities. Is everything included for data-logging (is is self contained within the tuner) or do you have to buy additional hardware or software?

~John

Old 10-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks JnD thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I did read the other thread but the two tuners tend to blend together when reading these. I guess the main thing to point out is one has cutom tunes on it and all you can do is switch between those custom tunes (the CAN unit). But those tunes are more accurate than the generic set of tunes on the 1714. Check.

Quick Reply: Custom CAN Flasher has been released