2004 - 2008 F-150

4.6 liter AirForce One Install...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 liter AirForce One Install...

The FedEx Man brought me an AirForce One Intake today. This is a different model than the 5.4 liter, which is still in developement. Bought from Troyer, of course. They were expecting a shipment in sometime this week, but they went the extra mile and had one drop shipped from the manufacturer to me. Extremely easy install, Hardly even got my hands dirty. The 2 time consuming parts were:

mounting the MAS unit to the venturi adapter. There is an o ring that goes between them, the groove in the adapter is very shallow. Had to fiddle around stretching the o-ring just right for it to stay in the groove long enough to put the MAS on. Then, when I tried to bolt them together, the ring would keep popping out. Finally gave up and asked Honey for some help. take the parts inside the house to a table. put the venturi adapter on the table with o-ring groove up. Get the oring perfectly stretched to fit, then place the MAS unit gently on top. Get the little woman to push down on the MAS keeping the ring in place while you install the bolts.

The rubber bulb trim that goes on the edge of the heat shield is very tight. Loosen it up with a flat screwdriver before pushing it on. AF1 directions say this is last step; but DO IT FIRST before you do anything, it'd be much easier done on the kitchen table.

Fired right up; no codes. Definately is louder, but not nearly as bad as I had expected. Most noise I hear is I believe the air whistling through the original port in the fender. It really does suck!
Also have a flowmaster catback and 1714 tuner set to Tow-perf, so this intake brought everything all together. Huge difference once the rpm's start to climb.

Old 10-05-2004, 05:34 PM
ib, good tips, thanks for the info. I received my AF1 over a week ago from Troyer but went on vacation last week to Oahu. I'll probably be installing it this coming Saturday. How long did it take from start to finish?

I have a 1714 and Magnaflow muffler and I'm looking forward to finishing up with this mod.

Ray

Old 10-06-2004, 11:54 AM
about an hour, at least a third of which was spent screwing around with the o-ring on the mas unit conversion. Have a spare set of hands ready for about 5 minutes, and it'll go real quick.

Quick Reply: 4.6 liter AirForce One Install...