2004 - 2008 F-150

SuperCab doors.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperCab doors denting because of defect

I have a supercab and recently noticed slight dimplimg/beveling on the rear doors. The two lines are vertical and my thought is that it is the window railing causing the sheet metal to slightly crimp out. Has anyone else noticed this.

Last edited by wernst; 09-28-2004 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:34 PM
oh no!

the return of the door crack!

Old 09-22-2004, 04:53 PM
I think I have the same problem. I have a black SCAB. On Day on in the daylight I noticed that there were 12" vertical ripples in the middle of the door panel. They were very noticable on each both rear doors at almost all angles.

The dealer sanded the paint off to inspect for Bondo. There was non, factory metal defect. 10/03 builddate in Virginia.

The fixed it under warranty. 2 new doors painted.

They gave me a rental as well. But they agreed to this at the time of sale, verbally. I was concerned at first. They said they wouldn;t repair it if it came in that way from a dealer trade.

Just take it in and ask. Agree to have them sand one them. If it is metal defect it is under warranty

Old 09-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Wernst,

Do you have a photo you can post? I need to go look at mine. Is it very noticeable, or is it something I need to look hard for?

Old 09-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Don't have a picture right now but I will post one after I wash the truck. But when you look down the side it is obvious. Two veritcal lines about 10 " apart. Perfectly parallel.. It has to be something on the inside of the door pushing the metal out because its on both sides. The truck didn't come this way so I think the problem starts after the doors are opened and shut a few times. The slamming of the doors must push something against the inside of the sheet metal. Making the crimps on the outside.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:28 PM
I remember reading about this problem on the 03. They had crakcs that the belived were caused by the window going up and down and stress cracking.

I have the STX so the windows do not go up and down. My car was brand new, 66 miles.

I hope it does not reappear. On the 03 it was a recall. They found that because there was no air hole or gap for the door to breath when closing or heating it allowed pressure to build up on the inside skin, which would warp the middle.

This could be BS,,, but

Old 09-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by jjcuff1
I remember reading about this problem on the 03. They had crakcs that the belived were caused by the window going up and down and stress cracking.

I have the STX so the windows do not go up and down. My car was brand new, 66 miles.

I hope it does not reappear. On the 03 it was a recall. They found that because there was no air hole or gap for the door to breath when closing or heating it allowed pressure to build up on the inside skin, which would warp the middle.

This could be BS,,, but

To clarify this theory, it was alleged that the sheet metal was too weak and flexed too much (not just a little warping). The TSB called for a reinforcing plate to be welded to the inside of the panel.

Although the window in question is fixed, there could be a problem with sheetmetal flex on the new trucks.

Old 09-22-2004, 09:22 PM
I haven't noticed that but I did notice how loose the windows are in those doors when I was cleaning them. They have a lot of play/ wiggle in them from side to side.

I never even realized they went down until taking delivery of my truck in the summer. Between those, a sliding back window and moonroof it feels as if I'm driving a convertible.

Old 09-28-2004, 03:07 PM
Old 09-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Is this a problem only on the supercabs or on the screws as well? Thanks.

Old 09-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Far as I know its just the SuperCabs.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Well it was -4 last week, 70 the other day and now its in the 20 with an ice storm(not sure if the temp changes might have caused it) and what do you know, the waves just showed up on my FX4 supercab. I know its not a major problem per say but dam it is ugly to see on an other wise perfect truck. Anyone have an experence getting this fixed yet? I hope they do the right thing and fix this problem under warrenty. This sucks first the brakes and now the truck is getting ugly. In all honesty though this is the best truck out of 7 in the last 12 years.

Last edited by lanceparkhurst; 01-03-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:28 PM
If its covered under warranty then I hope this happens to my doors since I have a door ding on the door.

Old 01-03-2005, 02:37 PM
I just went out and looked at my truck and it does have those dents in it...

Old 01-03-2005, 03:09 PM
My 04 SuperCab (made 10/2003) had the wavy door panels as well. The dealer replaced the driver side rear door. The Passenger side was taken apart and heated to 180 degrees to try and get the glue to release on the sound deadening material that is glued to the interior side sheet metal. They had tried it on the drivers side but it was too damaged to come out of it. The Passenger side released and looked fine. But now it has moved to the bottom of the door panel. The dealer said that the cold weather is causing the material to shrink (more than the metal) and that it is causing the waves. Problem is that next summer it won't come out of it because it takes 180 degrees to release it. They are going to replace the Passenger side in a few weeks. I have not asked if the new door has it re-applied or if they leave it off. I would think they would just put it on in 1"-2" strips so it wouldn't be able to pull the metal, but I'm no engineer.

Quick Reply: SuperCab doors.