2004 - 2008 F-150

Transmission Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Malfunction

I'm driving back from Canada on I-75 South in Michigan, and we stop at McDonalds for some grub. Get back onto the highway, and on the entrance ramp as I'm getting up to highway speeds my info center beeps at me. I look down and it says Transmission Malfunction. The overdrive idiot light is blinking off and on, and it won't go into OD. Since the truck was half wound at highway speeds, I pull over and stop, move the gear lever through all positions a few times, then turn the truck off and back on. Problem fixes itself. It only has 6000 non-towing miles.

This week when I go into the dealer for my oil change and tire rotation, I guess I have to have them look at this as well as the clunk clunk my rear drive train is making.

Has anyone else experienced this?

mikebaby

Old 07-25-2004, 08:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably just a PCM glitch and nothing to worry about. Your dealer will be able to read the code that was set when the malfunction occurred and take it from there.

I think you’re the first to bring this exact subject up (OD)

Old 07-25-2004, 09:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I regularly tow with mine and I haven't had a problem yet in 4500 miles. Like Jpdadeo said, you might just have a temporary glitch in the PCM that just needs a reflash to fix. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 08-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it took two days, but I got my truck back from the dealer. The 'clunk clunk' problem and the transmission problem were related. Apparently my tranny was 1 qt low on ATF. Talk about pissing me off. I have no idea how a brand new truck can be 1 qt low from the factory. They also said there was a PCM flash upgrade that addressed the problem with the tranny, as well as the sluggish throttle responce.

I popped open my hood, and I did not see the sticker anywhere about the PCM upgrade, however it is on my paperwork. I did however notice a little bit of a difference in throttle responce.

I am very happy to have my truck back. I smiled all the way home.

mikebaby

Quick Reply: Transmission Malfunction