2004 - 2008 F-150

new exhaust 5.5' bed

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new exhaust 5.5' bed

hey guys
i am getting ready to order a magnaflow exhaust system for my 04 f150 supercab 5.5'. has anyone with the 5.5' bed installed a catback yet? all the listing for fitments i have found list the supercab short bed but they don't specify 5.5 or 6.5. i am still undecided over the dual side exit or the single. typicall i have stayed away from duals, but the side exit looks cool. probably will still go with the single side exit but just wanted to know if anyone had any experience or knowledge on this. thanx!
z

Old 07-21-2004, 02:29 PM
There have been a couple of threads recently that are directly related to your question. Speaking of the Borla exhaust, the same part numbers work with either the 5.5' or 6.5' beds. Do a little search and I'm sure you'll find some info......

Old 07-22-2004, 10:56 AM
i have done some seraching. i am specifically talking about magnaflow exhaust sytems and if anyone is running the side exit dual or the si/so system. i have seen lots on the 6.5 bed and nothing on the 5.5. i appreciate your effort to help, but i do read these boards and the reason i posted is because i have seen nothing on the SUPERCAB 5.5' bed.

Old 07-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Here is the answer you are looking for.

If the kit fits a SCAB 6.5 it will fit a SCAB 5.5 bed too.

I ordered a borla exhaust cat back for my truck and had the same concern. I spoke with borla support and they told me the nice thing about Ford's exhaust is that it is the same for both beds.

SO, there ya GO!

Old 07-23-2004, 12:24 AM
"I ordered a borla exhaust cat back for my truck and had the same concern. I spoke with borla support and they told me the nice thing about Ford's exhaust is that it is the same for both beds."

Yeh, if you look under your truck you can see the slip joints. Looks like they made the exhaust modular EI different cab/bed combos = add or remove extensions.

Also, I just ordered the Banks Monster exhaust. Should be here by next friday . I plan on posting a review with some install pics. I was down to Magnaflow or Banks & decided to give something new a try. Price wise they're about the same. I do think Banks puts a little more research into making/tuning their products to actually produce power. So, FWIW there'll be some info here shortly if you wanna wait a week.

Last edited by 04Triton5.4L; 07-23-2004 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when putting on the borla exhaust the first pipe that is installed has you choose between 2 pipes. install the one that fits your truck either 5.5 screw or 6.5 scab and then toss the other.

it was an easy install less that an hour and a half start to finish. i think the system is really well made and it has a million mile warranty.

sound is perfect (at least for me). no drone in the cab and sounds good when it's stepped on.

Old 07-24-2004, 11:46 AM
thanks guys... some of you know what i am talking about and some of you do not. i do not have a screw with a 5.5' bed or an scab with a 6.5' bed......it is a SUPERCAB with a 5.5' bed. looks like the magnaflow si/so. the main reason i started this thread is that i was curious to see if anyone had a SUPERCAB 5.5' with the magnaflow dual SIDE exit like the lightning. with this cab/bed configuration i am not really sure if it will fit becasue it does not look like i would be able to fit that system. again thanks guys!

Old 07-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rugdnit you should call Troyer, he’ll know exactly what fill fit you truck

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...link=contactus

Old 07-24-2004, 01:23 PM
i talked to anita a while back. she said that the si/so will fitt but was not sure about the si/do side exit! thanks man!

Old 07-24-2004, 03:27 PM
i love my banks kit and it will fit either bed length

Old 07-24-2004, 03:38 PM
ak_1fitty
question.... how does the stainless steel tip mate up.... in other words from the pictures i have seen it looks like it uses a clamp to hold the exit tip in place. i am looking for something that has a smooth exit in that you cannot see the 5 or 4 inch tip mates up the the 3 inch piping. i don't care for systems where you can see the clamp. i hate the homemade dual exhaust that has massive tips but you can see the cheesy small piping leading up to it and exiting straight out the back. everyone can see from looking at the side how cheesy it looks. a properly designed exhaust no matter what configuration should only show the chrome tips. i am sure this will fire up a few people here, but anyone who has seen a new or old pickup where you can see the small cheesy piping and then massive chrome tips has got to admit how cheesy it looks.... but then... to each his own!

Old 07-24-2004, 06:12 PM
First of all you don't want anything larger than 2.5 inch pipes, even if there are two.
Stainless tips should be wielded on. Go to your local exhaust shop and have them do the whole install...Most will be able to get magnaflow mufflers...I used a 18" single in dual out...Ran the pipes out the back.....Guy did a great job and the whole thing cost me 300 dollars!

Old 07-25-2004, 01:36 PM
well i don't know what to say to that. most if not all after cat systems use 3" piping and they all get more power than stock. obviously the muffler plays part in this, but if 3" were not the best they would not use it. gibson and a few others use clamps on their tips. magnaflow welds theirs on. i don't like going to a local shop- they have not done testing on your truck and any homemade system they conjure up may sound better and perform a little better. i would rather buy a cat back from one of the more reputable manufacturers and install it myself. they have done extensive testing and know exactly what works the best overall. slapping some mufflers and tips on my truck just does not appeal to me. i have used magnaflow systems in the past and have been extremely happy. most recently on my last truck ( 2001 f150 screw 4x4 ). again i am just looking for anyone who has experience with the MAGNAFLOW side exit dual exhaust ( in front of the right rear tire ) or the si/so with a SUPERCAB 5.5' bed!

Old 07-25-2004, 05:30 PM
rugdnit...your statement that 3" pipes are best is a generalization that might need some qualification to avoid the conclusion that any exhaust vendor's diameter less than 3" is inferior. And, "most if not all...systems use 3" piping" is largely incorrect. In fact, MANY SI/SO systems use 3", but MOST SI/DO systems use 2.25/2.50 tailpipes. I won't repeat all the exhaust engineering/sound technicalities here re: vendor's pipe diameter preferences, but would encougage a review of most vendor websites to aid in dispelling urban myths about exhaust systems, including exaggerated hp/torque expectations.

Sorry none of us were able to answer your specific question.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:22 AM
well yes on dual systems the OUTLET pipes are 2.5". i should have clarified that i was referring to si/so. TYPICALLY the si/so provides the best, most consistent results- for the average user. the whole subject could go on for days. all i am saying is that alot local shops just slap on dual setups that give the owner the look they want without doing any testing on what really would provide the most power- as long as it sounds better than stock! i was taking up the argument that hovbuild stated that you don't want 3" piping even if it is a single!

Quick Reply: new exhaust 5.5' bed