2004 - 2008 F-150

Took truck to the dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took truck to the dealer...

For a clunk in the rear during downshifting. When my truck downshifts from me pushing the pedal or when slowing down on it's own it has a slight banging noise to it. Like a real quick "clunk" and then it goes. Only in the 0 to 40 mph range too. It doesnt seem to happen above those speeds.

I took it to the dealer and they drove it. He says he did hear the clunk when downshifting and upshifting. However, he said it is characteristic of this transmission diff setup.

I personally dont buy it. I think it is a crock. I have driven and owned alot of Fords and or vehicles in general and this is not charactersitic of "ANY" drivetrain.

It feels like when you hit the gas, that the drivetrain has to catch up to the engine. The bang comes from the differential only from what I can tell. But, there is no slippage in the tranny and it pulls fine from then on. It doesnt even seem like a hesitation when it happens, but it just doesnt sound healthy at all.

Well, I got under the truck and turned the driveshaft back and forth and there is play...like all vehicles have. There is always a little play. I can move the driveshaft in "park" back and forth and I can hear the gears connecting in the rear. The sound it makes it identical to the sound I hear when driving, but obviously much louder when driving.

Not only that, but this guy has been there for a while. He is an @$$. He acts like you did something wrong by showing up and he acts as if he doesnt want to honor your warranty. He questions and questions and treats me like crap everytime. I have 4300miles on the truck, I mean the warranty better be honored.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Or same problems?

Old 07-19-2004, 01:05 PM
My truck does the same thing. If i let off the gas at around 30 kph and get back on it to accel. normally again it gives a good loud clunk sound. I am just going to wait until something breaks on it to have them fix it. It doesn't sound right to me, but these days who knows?

Old 07-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Mike99a
My truck does the same thing. If i let off the gas at around 30 kph and get back on it to accel. normally again it gives a good loud clunk sound. I am just going to wait until something breaks on it to have them fix it. It doesn't sound right to me, but these days who knows?
Yeah, I told him, "I trust your judgement and as long as nothing is getting damaged and you say it is 'characteristic', then I am cool with that".

He says(laughing), "Well, I dont know if nothing is getting damaged or not, but Ford says it is typical".

I am thinking , GREAT!!!! I really like the confidence I have in my truck now.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:49 AM
This is driveline backlash. Gears are clearenced for noise if they were tight you would hear a howl sound.So depending on the gear diameter a space is there to quiet so you will hear a slight clunk. Now for the damage the truck will most likely be very old and high mileage before the rearend wears out completely if it does at all.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by bluestang67
This is driveline backlash. Gears are clearenced for noise if they were tight you would hear a howl sound.So depending on the gear diameter a space is there to quiet so you will hear a slight clunk. Now for the damage the truck will most likely be very old and high mileage before the rearend wears out completely if it does at all.
Ditto

Good post.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Well, that is a relief. I know there is also clearance allowed in the diff to eliminate the build up of heat due to friction. But, it just may be a better system in this truck or something. My old 98 didnt do this at all.

Quick Reply: Took truck to the dealer...