2004 - 2008 F-150

questions on going from 98 -> 2004

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions on going from 98 -> 2004

Hi my 98 has just been totaled, so in a rush I ran out and got the new 2004 model. I did not have much time to research, so now I have a few questions concerning after market parts that were in my 98 and I hope to move over to the 2004.

1. Jet chip module: Can I simply have a Jet dealer reflash the module for a 2004 or do I need to get a whole new module.

2. If possible I would like to take the lift kit off my 98 and move it to the 2004. I know this is a very long shot, but just wanted to know if the frame is that much different.

3. Audio wise I had a JVC KD-LX10, a JL audio 10W6, and a rockford fosgate amp. What bothers me, is that there seems to be little room under the rear seats for any size sub. I sersiouly doubt I can get the 10W6 anywhere in the cab. Does anyone have any ideas, or atleast a setup that wil give an equal level of punch. I was thinking two JL audio 8W3's, but I do not even think I have room for that.

4. The truck is still at the dealer, so I do not have a whole not experience with it. I loved the way it handled, but I was slightly botherd by the throttle response. I have seen lots of threads in many forums on this, but have not seen any with defenitive fixes. Can anyone point me to a thread that talks about any possible aftermarket adjustments I can buy/make.

thanks

Old 07-18-2004, 04:08 PM
1. Totally different computer. Chip useless.

2. Different suspension in front. Coil-over shocks instead of torsion bars.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Welcome to F-150 online, congratulations on the new truck. Coming from a 98 I can see how you might not like the throttle response. Some of that is just the drive by wire nature of the beast, some of it might have to do with the version of the software in the PCM, ask the dealership if they will re-flash the PCM b/c you noticed a throttle lag. Troyer performance can do a specialty re-flash of your PCM but you have to take it out and ship it to them. The superships tuner for the 5.4 3v is coming out soon, that might help.

Old 07-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the responses and the welcome. If anyone else has any input/advice please don't hesitate. (especially on the audio)

The throttle response I'm not too worried about yet, as I am going to be taking care of the lift and exhaust first. I was just alittle scared when I was testdriving it on the freeway because I started to floor the pedal and the truck took close to a second to fully respond. Kind of a bummer I'm going to eventually need to shell out more money for the chip.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:16 PM
Welcome to the Forum! Congrats on your new truck. On the subs issue, you can take the jack out and relocate it. There is some threads on the forum about this. Do a search for subs under this forum. I think the under the hood relocation is for 2 wheel drives only if I remember correctly. You should have plenty of room all the way across. There was a company posted on here that made subs for the 2004. I believe they are in Fort Worth, TX. They were featured in Ford Trucks mag. last fall for the introduction of the '04 model. I don't know what your specific application is, but you can try fitting first, then go from there. Welcome

Old 07-19-2004, 03:31 AM
Thanks Jaguar. The jack is getting tossed anyways, since the lift makes the stock jack pointless.

Since my last post I did a lot of searching and found supercrew seems to be the most popular for subwoofer enclosures. I havn't compared measurements, but I doubt their box is going to fit my 10W6. Either way I am not a big fan of paying $100+ for a 3/4 carpeted MDF box. Therefore I feel I'm going to be making my own box once I get the truck broke in. The box will go under the 60 side of the bench with the amp going under the 40 part. I have seen a few people with the dual sub setup put the amp under the passenger seat, but I have never been comfortable with that. I will also lift the back seats by about 2 inches by using washers or soldered planks of sheet metel. It may need to be raised more, but since the truck is still at the dealer its hard to plan these things.

Not sure if I want the sub to be downfiring or not. I have heard good things about downfiring subs in an extened cab setup. Someone once told me not all subs are recomended for downward firing, so I will need to check into that.

thanks for your help guys

Quick Reply: questions on going from 98 -> 2004