2004 - 2008 F-150

Starting to change my opinion about my FX4

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Starting to change my opinion about my FX4

Ok I hope this is just some venting on my part and in a few days I'll forget about it.

My truck now has 3500 miles on it, and in the past couple of days things have really started changing for no apparent reason.

1) Driving along the same roads at the same speeds (55-65 mph) I now have what I consider a steering wheel shimmy. It just started happening a few days ago, before that the steering wheel had no movement.

2) Cab quietness has really started to fade away. Wind noise seems to be slowly getting louder and more noticeable.

3) Starting to develop little rattles around the doors ( doors have never been slammed). The rattles go away if I firmly press on the door trim pieces, so this isn't such a bad thing.

4) Just realized that the cover piece for the pwr windows/locks may be the cheapest part of the interior. Go feel of yours, do they move around and have a lot of play in it? Both of mine have a lot of play and feel cheap, almost like they are taped on.

5) Just starting to realize how crappy the A/C is, each day the temps in Ga slowly rise, along with the humidity. This A/C system doesn't peform like it should. My 97 F150 is 10X better in the A/C department.

6) Driving home last night with the A/C on and the windows fog up very bad. Eventually had to switch to high defrost with the thermostat on heat and my windows down to clear the windows. This might have been due to extreme humidity last night, I hope it doesn't happen again.

I hope I just had a bad day yesterday and all this will be forgoten in a few days. I haven't had time to get the truck in for service so I'm hoping the shimmy will go away when the tires are rotated. I still plan on lifting the front end and mounting bigger tires to help improve the front end looks. For all the Nissan guys reading this, I would rather my truck vibrate, shimmie, and blow hot air for A/C before I would be caught driving your "lunar lander". And my opinion of the Titan doesn't just revolve around "looks", but moreso my value of the American truck. Sure 90% or more of my beloved F150 may be made elsewhere other than the USA, but atleast the home office is in America and my money ends up back in our economy.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Just one comment re: #2.

Being logical about it, IMO it's perception, not fact.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:20 AM
#5. A/C

Well, I can believe that. I have a 2003 Expy, my mother-in-law bought my 2000 and I still drive it every weekend (To keep it from sitting in the garage), and then there's my wife's 2001 SuperCrew.

The two older trucks run circles around my 2003 Expy in the AC dept. I'd be willing to bet the system in my 2003 is the same as the system in the 04 F-150, and if that's the case, you're right...

The new trucks don't cool off nearly as well as the old ones.
The northerners and our West coast counterparts my know a little about heat, but you Georgians and us Texans know heat AND humidity.

With that combo, it's easy to realize an AC system that's half-***.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:25 AM
on comment # 6 it was just the weather. I had the same experience myself one evening last year .
on comment # 1 most probably the tires, and a balancing issue.
Since your planning on swapping out, that'll probably do it for ya.
Last week i was traveling on the highway and experienced a
shimmy in the wheel after not having a problem numerous times
on the same stretch of road, then just yesterday i brought it backup to those speeds on a different stretch of roadway with
absolutely no problem. It's screwy for sure,but i'm gonna go raz the dealer and have them rf balance and maybe they'll find a bad tire in the mix ? ... otherwise you had a bad day, and you'll love that rig again when you wake up tomorrow lol lol lo ( ya you will )

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=4362

Old 07-18-2004, 12:33 PM
I agree with the AC. I swear, we had 110% humidity after that storm last week. Regardless, the AC takes longer than it should to cool the cabin down, and once it's cool it takes more to keep it that way.

I am overdue for an oil change. I'll have them look at the AC while it's in there and let you know if they fix it.

Old 07-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got about 9,500 miles, trouble freeeeeeeeeeeeee and my A/C is ice. Lots of humidity to test in on too. I also got the ultra rare (option 508ns)

Old 07-18-2004, 12:50 PM
I must have a turbo charged a/c then cause mine works better than it should.

I have no rattles or shakes, I think I have a perfect truck.

Trending Topics

Old 07-18-2004, 01:30 PM
A/C rocks, no shimmy.. just a couple minor squeeks in the cab. Rear driver door, that stupit jack & the glove box (or somewhere around it).

Hope your days are getting better!

Old 07-18-2004, 02:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've noticed my A/C is getting worse and worse. And it gets worse and worse intermittently. Driving home on the highway at 65 mph with the blower on high and A/C on normal, I only see about 55-60 degrees at the vents. I know my truck is a dark color and dark colors absorb heat more, but that flat out sucks. On high blower on max, it'll cool to about 40-45 degrees, which is good, but I don't want to ride around on max all the time.

I'm gonna tinker around with it later this week if work falls off. But otherwise, I've got no complaints.

Old 07-18-2004, 02:47 PM
All F150's have door creaks/noises. All of mine did, and all the new ones do. Most of em have dash rattles, creaks too. It is annoying beyond belief.

But, I must say the 03 Silverado at work, that thing is TERRIBLE. It's twice as bad as my truck.

Old 07-18-2004, 03:18 PM
No squeeks or rattles. My AC was pretty lame, dropped one can of the R-134 you get at the parts store and it's great now.

Old 07-18-2004, 04:25 PM
original post by: 03F15054FX4 (snip)

All F150's have door creaks/noises. All of mine did, and all the new ones do. Most of em have dash rattles, creaks too. It is annoying beyond belief.
My truck also doesn’t have any squeaks or rattles, it’s tight. I test drove four different 2004 F150 Lariats last October 2003 and all were equally impressive; cold A/C, definitely no squeaks, rattles, vibrations etc., just perfect. My dealership had ten 2004 F150’s on the lot that day. This is my first Ford truck; I have always had Chevy’s until now and I must say the F150 I got is absolutely perfect in every way. It’s a bummer reading about everyone having problems and being dissatisfied with their trucks. Good luck to all getting everything squared away and up to expectations.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:40 PM
I'm too cheap and stubborn to use my AC much so I just drive around with the windows open and sweat like a pig (at 6' 350lbs I can sweat too). I have not noticed any major squeaks and rattles but I drove a 95 Sierra for 5 years before this, maybe I have been totally desensitized in that department. What model year did they switch from using freon in the AC units? My uncle is a service manager at a toyota dealership and he says he gets lots of complaints about the AC on new vehicles and a lot of times its just b/c the customer was used to the old units that used freon and were ice cold. I'm not saying that is everyone's problem I was just wondering when the switch was.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by jpdadeo
I got about 9,500 miles, trouble freeeeeeeeeeeeee and my A/C is ice. Lots of humidity to test in on too. I also got the ultra rare (option 508ns)

What is the ultra rare option 508ns????????

Old 07-18-2004, 07:20 PM
i think the epa (government) has gotten so stringent on what types of refrigerant they can use in the a/c systems anymore that they all suck .

Quick Reply: Starting to change my opinion about my FX4