2004 - 2008 F-150

Where to get power and Acc for XM Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to get power and Acc for XM Install

I am working on the XM Commander install in my Lariat Scab.

Antenna: Installed under the windshield wipers, routed through cableway to drivers side and through firewall at grommet above steering column. I am hoping I get good reception here or I will relocate to the roof by third brake light.

Ccontroller: Installed in ash tray, drilled hole through the back of the assembly for the controller wire. I am interested in hearing how others have setup the commander to hold the controller flush with the ash tray. I might be able to modify the bracket that came with it, but was looking for something cleaner.

Wiring:
The only part I haven't finished. It was getting dark last night. There looks to be a good ground point in the console right by the lower right removable panel. I was planning on routing the power and acc wiring over the the fuse panel to pick up power. Anyone have any suggestions on where to grab this power.

Old 05-13-2004, 05:17 PM
XM yellow to FACTORY green with purple stripe

XM red to FACTORY green with yellow stripe

XM black to FACTORY black with green stripe

***above connections apply to audiophile system*** I got these instructions from a guy that installed a Commander in his Lariat

When I mounted my Commander unit in my ashtray I used of all things brick trim molding. It is exactly 2 inches wide and 1 inch high. I cut a piece 4 inches long to fit in the ashtray (remove the insert part) then I realized I needed to rip a half inch off my wooden block to make it fit. So the exact dimensions of my wooden block are 4"L X 1" H X 1.5" W. This will allow your Commander to sit flush with the top of the ashtray and close with no problem. I used Velcro (purchased at Wal-Mart) to secure the wooden block in the ashtray and the Commander unit to the wooden block. Just for cosmetic purposes I painted the wooden block black in case any part of it was visiable I wouldn't see the "yellow wood". The reason I chose brick trim molding is because it has a slight bevel/angle which helped "kick" the Commander back so I can easily see the text while sitting in my normal position.

Last edited by ultramaxer21; 05-13-2004 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Another way is to use two 35mm plastic film cansiters taped end to end. Use body molding tape to stick the film cansiters to the bottom of the ashtray holder (with actual ashtray removed) in the upper edge. Use more body molding tape to adhere the XM commander controller to the film cansiters.

Old 05-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the help.

Also, how did you route the commander's wires?

Right now I just have it installed with the cable going over the top of the ash tray and through a hole I drilled in the back of the housing assembly. ( I wanted to wait until I figured out how to get it flush with the top of the tray )

I want to drill another hole in the back of the ash tray, but was a little leary of that until I check with some people with experience in this.

I also want to find a smooth way for the cable to flow smoothly when the ashtray is extended, and pushed back into the dash.

Old 05-14-2004, 01:20 PM
When I removed the ash tray, in the ash tray holder, you will see a small hole, where a plastic tang is to hold the ash tray. I then removed the entire ash tray assembly. There are two hex head screws holding the ash tray assembly in the dash, after removing the fiber cabon looking trim. Once I had it out, I removed the the two end caps, slid the long spindle out with the spring. Then I drilled the hole a little larger, enough so that I could fit the XM controller cable connector through. I reassembled the ash tray assembly, (don't forget to set the spring back in it's retention holder). Reinstalled the assembly back in the dash, and finished up my install, (see my previous post). Opening and closing the ash tray, you cannot see the cable or the film canisters. People at work, asked me how much did I have to pay to have it installed. They all thought that I had it professionally done.

Quick Reply: Where to get power and Acc for XM Install