2004 - 2008 F-150

Running boards on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running boards on or off?

I have been looking at my truck lately, and it just seems like the fat kid on the block. I think I may take off the black plastic running boards, they add alot of visual weight to the truck I think. I'm a bit torn by the form-over-function dilemma.

http://www.jmvdigital.com/personal/p.../DSC02700.html

What do you guys think?

Anyone in the Rochester, NY area interested in this set of running boards? Only 3000 miles on them.

- Justin

Old 05-12-2004, 10:52 AM
I personally don't like those running boards on trucks. I like the step bars that I have better. The running boards seem to make the truck look lower to the ground. With the front end already being low it makes it look even worse. I have added the Daystar spacers and BF Goodrich tires since my last pix, but take a look at the step bars as an option. I think the truck looks really good without them alltogether as well.

Just a personal preference.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Justin,

You should do whatever makes you happy. I think the running boards look pretty good on your truck. I'm sure that most passengers who are relatively short or who aren't used to getting into a truck would appreciate them, too. I like them on mine because they do offer some protection from other car doors swinging into the side of the truck in parking areas. But like you stated, it is a form vs. function issue.

Personally, I think that the window vent visors stick out more visually than the running boards (just my humble opinion). Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:59 AM
The running boards on my truck make cleaning the windsheild alot easier. If I add a lift kit to my truck the running boards are coming off. But in the meantime they're staying on. My wife and child use them to get in the cab.

Old 05-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Personally, I think they look good but as someone said its your truck, you do what you want to do.

BTW, nice looking ride!!

Old 05-12-2004, 12:59 PM
I also think the running boards are 2nd behind step bars.

On your truck I think chrome step bars would look better than black, particularly so with your grill inserts and saddlebox.

That said, I certainly think you should keep the running boards vs removing them and having nothing.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:07 PM
It is personal preference but I think the truck looks best with no running boards.

Trending Topics

Old 05-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Since you are asking for opinions I will give you mine. The running boards look ok on your truck, but I have the tube bars on mine and like them better. Now what you might consider, and I like them very much, is the nerf bars with the step depressions. Also I do like the look of an F150 without any bars or boards. The order from favorite to least favorite is:
1.Stainless steel or painted steel nerf bars with step depressions.
2. The factory tube bars, either color.
3.No bars or boards.
4.Running boards.

The choice is ultimately up to you. Do what you think will look best to you.

Old 05-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Thanks guys for the input! The overall feeling seems to be function-over-form, with mixed views on the looks.

If I do decide to strip them, I'll take some before and afters for you all.

The straw on the camel's back would be whether anyone was interested in them for a few bucks.

- Justin

Old 05-12-2004, 09:33 PM
I like stepbars instead of running boards. If you don't use them, take them off.

Old 05-13-2004, 12:58 AM
I have the same boards on my truck. I think they look like crap, but the wife(5'-4'') won't let me take them off. I also think they look "Bullky" compared to the chrome or black step bars. I have been thinking latley about moving them in toward the center of the truck about 1 1/5 " or 2". She would still be able to use them and they mite look a little better tucked in slightly. Anyone with a good suggestion for what to make some blocks out of to move them in?

Old 05-13-2004, 09:21 AM
i took mine off and wow the truck looks a lot cleaner now with the rims and body matched parts.

Old 05-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Whitewolf, I think I am about a few minutes away from removing mine. I am a big fan of "less is more" idea (that's why the 4x4 sticker is no more). My girlfriend might be a bit bummed, but this truck isn't that high, plus they give you an "oh ****!" handle on both sides of the cab to hoist yourself in.

That's an excellent idea about moving them in a bit. I may entertain that thought a bit, and see what the hardware below them looks like.

- Justin

Old 05-13-2004, 11:03 PM
off. they must come off

Old 05-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Well, I pulled them off! I lost the heavy luxury yacht look, and gained the manly truck look. While the apparent nose down squat of the truck is still noticeable, removing the boards gives the appearance of a small lift.

Whitewolf, no dice on being able to reposition them. There are 3 plastic C-type brackets on each board. The top of the bracket is bolted to the inside of the sheetmetal, about 4 inches up from the bottom sill. There are also 6 bolts on each side the go through bottom edge of the bracket straight vertically into the bottom of the sheetmetal sill. These last 6 would be the biggest problem because if you space out the top bracket from the sheetmetal, there is nothing for the bottom bolts to bolt to.

In any case, after I wash her up today, I'll grab some pix of the new look, and a few of the boards themselves.

- Justin

Quick Reply: Running boards on or off?